8x AGP card on 4X AGP slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a Nvidia Geforce fx 5200 AGP 8X on a 4X slot so what happen to the performance ? If I will buy Geforce fx 5800 AGP 8x then will it give more performance then current card on same(4X) slot?

ammusk

Journeyman
8x works on 4x

8x works on 4x
but the agp speed is reduced to 4x
that means the card will work as if it is 4x
which implies the card will be bottlenecked by the AGP
hence lower perfermance

instead of going in for a 5800 try 6600GT
and yes performance will increase due to a faster,better chipset
but will be less than the same cardworking on agp 8X

ammusk

OP
P

parimal_xp2003

Broken In
Re: 8x works on 4x

ammusk said:
8x works on 4x
but the agp speed is reduced to 4x
that means the card will work as if it is 4x
which implies the card will be bottlenecked by the AGP
hence lower perfermance

instead of going in for a 5800 try 6600GT
and yes performance will increase due to a faster,better chipset
but will be less than the same cardworking on agp 8X

ammusk

But i have heared that AGP 8X has negligible performance over AGP 4X. Means it is better to buy new series 8X AGP rather then by a new Mobo.

anuraag_01

Broken In
i am running a fx5200 on a 4x agp board.

it works fine, and there is no reason to upgrade the mobo just for that.

and yes. the 6600gt is a lot better card, but i think parimal already knew it. a lot of people consider a product after taking a lot of things in consideration, including price.

recommending a 6800 to someone who is non a budget of 5700 is like asking a maruti buyer to buy a merc. ok, so not exactly that....but kind of

enjoy ur 4x card for now.....when u do get a mobo upgrade....that will change to 8x. don't sweat over that

D

Deleted member 5901

anuraag_01 said:
i am running a fx5200 on a 4x agp board.

it works fine, and there is no reason to upgrade the mobo just for that.

and yes. the 6600gt is a lot better card, but i think parimal already knew it. a lot of people consider a product after taking a lot of things in consideration, including price.

recommending a 6800 to someone who is non a budget of 5700 is like asking a maruti buyer to buy a merc. ok, so not exactly that....but kind of

enjoy ur 4x card for now.....when u do get a mobo upgrade....that will change to 8x. don't sweat over that

its true buddy !!!

Cheers !!! :wink: :!:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
at present it wont coz games are only beginning to utilize the agp4x bandwidth ..... and there are not many who does .... namely would be doom3 etc. so getting a agp8x card on a 4x slot would not be that bad .... but i'd recommend you not to invest on a good agp8x card .. just get a low priced/good performing agp8x card namely a radeon 9600 .... use it till the agp4x finally become a bottleneck .. then get a new cpu/mobo/graphics card ......

ammusk

Journeyman
Re: 8x works on 4x

parimal_xp2003 said:
But i have heared that AGP 8X has negligible performance over AGP 4X. Means it is better to buy new series 8X AGP rather then by a new Mobo.

yes it is cost effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom