650m vs 660m

What is the performance difference between 650m and 660m? I have read in ome forums that 650m performs almost equal to 660m is it true?

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Nope 660m is better. But mostly its an overclocked 650m. But in laptops there are thermal constraints so dont overclock your gpu and get the fastest one you can get. Real difference comes from 670mx onwards.

Hrishi

Nope 660m is better. But mostly its an overclocked 650m. But in laptops there are thermal constraints so dont overclock your gpu and get the fastest one you can get. Real difference comes from 670mx onwards.

660m and 650m are theoratically similar , however I believe the 660m has more number of transistors than 650m.
Apart from that its the memory bandwidth that also makes a considerable difference.
[Note : Actual performance difference b/w the'm is somewhere around 15%.]
GT660m Performance.
If you'll look closely at the details Nvidia has provided for GT640m, GT645m , GT650M and GTX660m , you'll notice that they all look very much similiar other than clock speed and memory , however the performance increases up the ladder by 10-15% on average per GPU .
[The GT645m is nothing but just an o'clocked GT640m.]

Even , I wonder what's the actual hardware difference b/w these kepler GPUs. I have been looking at lot of places for the answer but all I was able to find is the higher end kepler mobiles[GT660m] are having higher thermal margin/better quality and probably more number of transistors.

However , unlike previous gen. of GPUs I have found that keplers can be overclocked upto an extent. Though, its not advisable to overclock any component in laptop , but if you can take the risk and considering that your laptop manufacturer has provided decent cooling system , then you can try your hands on it , but at your own risk.

I have managed to overclock my GT640m upto an extent where it gives around 20-25% performance boost in certain games. And the temperature stays well within limits , [ Note : I am using a DIY powerful laptop cooler.]

THe best IMO , would be to get the laptop with GTX660m GPU. You can overclock it a li'l if you want [5-15%] but I am sure you won't need to.Since 660m is powerful enough to drive recent games at high settings.

What is the performance difference between 650m and 660m? I have read in ome forums that 650m performs almost equal to 660m is it true?

TBH , Nvidia has made a mess in the naming convention for their Mobile GPUs.
I have seen GT640m le, etc cards under the Fermi architecture , but some are produced under the Kepler architecture as well. (GF/GK)

Unless , you don't look at the Tech. Specs of the GPU , and GPUz details , its sort of PITA to tell about the card performance against other.Sometimes ,even they don't seem to help.

Synthetic BenchMark results and gaming performance is what you actually have to tell the tale , apart from the GPU Core Clock and Memory Rate and type.
Some GT650m with GDDR5 memory and 900Mhz GPU CLock , tend to perform faster than some GTX660m practically.Whereas some tend to perform lower.
The best thing about the GT650m GDDR5 card is that it can be overclocked very well upto certain limits without overvolting it. Some reports suggests that even the temp. increase is just 2-5% after overclock.!!!!
Well Of Course the GTX660m can be O'clocked too , but IDK much about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom