64 bit anti virus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit dutt

Broken In
hi all !
i had installed windows 7 rc on my laptop. then i tried installing mcafee but the error says OS not supported. does mcafee not support win 7 or its because of 64 bit ?
can you tell me the good anti virus which is comptible with windoews 7 64 bit.

thanks in advance.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
are u sure that the Mcafee version u are trying to install is 64bit and NOT 32bit.. ?? also, Win 7 comes in 2 flavours (64bit and 32bit, correct me if im wrong) :)

angie

At last the devil is here
download any 64 bit edition anti virus....
mcafee comes for sure in 64 bit...

Gauravs90

geek........
norton antivirus 2010 just released yesterday. you can download that
It's fully compatible with win 7

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Norton is and will always be a resource Hog.. so plz Stay away from Norton...

instead get Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2010 for x64 OS and u will be fine with it...

come on guys, y u are suggesting the poor lad to get Norton..??? jesus... lol..
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

Gauravs90

geek........
^^Are you determined to be a norton hater.
NIS is far good than KIS. It's uses resources near to nothing. KIS have too many faults and take more resources than norton.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

well, yes im a Norton nono-lover (to put it in the meaningful terms) :)

come on buddy, I hv analysed AVs and Firewalls and ISS (internet security systems), IDSes (Intrusion detection systems) for as much as 5 years and hv used alot of systems than many of us here can think of... (not bragging abt myself in any such way plz..) :)

I am jus trying to be straight and simple to direct the guy in the right path.. :)
--------

The most stable AVs/ISSes are: (with no priority in listing)

1.) Kaspersky
2.) AVG
3.) NOD32
----------------

I was a Norton lover (at that point in time) wen the only name tat every one knew wen it came to Antivirus or security for that matter was : Norton/ Symantec....

It does hv a lot of features and processes, i dnt doubt that, nor i doubt the detection capability of Norton. but wat is the use if the only thing u can use beside running Norton (during a normal scan too..) on ur low end system is jus a screensaver and everything jus chokes for processor time..?? is tat really tat useful in a processor/time saving way..?? naa i dnt think tat.. so jus ponder on that thought.. :)
----------

Neways... i recommended wat i hv used and yes, do get ur facts right buddy, KIS or NOD32 or AVG are not at all resource hogs, but Norton tops the list... for sure.. :)
---------

Cheers n e-peace.....

Gauravs90

geek........
That's not true
I've just installed NIS 2010 and it's really fast.:razz:

It's great and fast and have more features now.

I also installed Kaspersky 2010 and its more resource hog than norton 2009 itself.

It's GUI is now marvelous. None other suites come even near to it
Av-test result: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120651

And in malware detecting it's in front of all other suites
Pcmag test result: *img12.imageshack.us/img12/4513/antisk.jpg

The feature i like is that it has IPS ( Intrusion prevention engine) in browser which prevents any malware from attacking and doesn't blocks the web page unlike other suites which just blocks the web page.

Like KIS 2010 done for me: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119883

^^It had just read the code written by a user and blocks the hole web page

I had also problem with it's firewall which i can explain but will not believe

And please don't recommended at least AVG to any one It doesn't do well at protecting
It's better to use anti avira personal ,avast home addition and prevx 3

I've not tried NOD32 till now though

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around
Dear Ashu

I was an avid Norton hater till 2008. But after using 2009 Gaming edition and now 2010 (My office provided me so I had to use it !!!!)...... I have to say its not bad :) (it will still take me some time to change my mental framework and call it good.....But it is certainly different than the 2007 that I despised). KIS is GOOD.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

ohh is it.. ?? lol well then i think i will giv this newly looking Norton a shot and see.. :)

btw, thanx for the update, also i hope my tips atleast solved ur i7 problems.. ?? (the RAM stick switcing trick).>?? :)
---------

Cheers n e-peace..

OP
A

amit dutt

Broken In
well thank you all for your valuable suggestions.
my problem is solved after installing McAfee 2009 total security. although it requires live install (with active internet connection).

as for as hot discussion on anti-virus i love McAfee. its fast, does not consume resource [it only slows down your machine on startup for few secods] the protection it provides is unmatchable ! i have been using Mcafee on my 21 months old Dell desktop and i never encountered any virus despite of the fact that my desktop remains connected to internet. my new laptop does come with xp and norton combination. but i needed McAfee to secure it.

My votes McAfee Total Security 2009 !

once thanks to all of you guys.

Krow

Crowman
Prevx is also pretty good. I used the trial version when I used to get infected and was pretty impressed. Anyway, now I use AVG Free and that too as a formality only to prevent drive-by downloads or attacks. I dont even scan PD's anymore, and havent been infected since 2008 Jan. Trick is to explore PD's instead of opening them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom