60D or 70D Buying advice

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Oh! My mistake.
Since 650D, all the Canon DSLRs came with touch screen except 6D and they all are low end entry level and high end entry level models. (100D - 70D). May be you are right... May be Canon would think that touch will make things simpler when using live view. Most likely 7D2 will release this year and we will see what it brings. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
7Dmk2 will be definitely big thing ...I still see people buy used 7D for 50k and its really good ....If I had canon gears I would have got a used 7D instead of new D7000

raja manuel

In the zone
nac its not like that ...you cant imagine how frustated I was when my auto selection AF could not focus on a bird just front of me ..my all 39 AF points were confused ...and if I want to move around 39 AF points that theoretically good but practically not soo good
I just put my cam again on center AF point/single point AF and I got all correct AF in a second .
So after that incident I decided to use 39AF points in landscapes/portraits but single AF on birds
This is exactly it. It is the old rule about using 10% of the features 90% of the time. A larger number of AF points only introduce more and unnecessary complexity in most situations. Whenever I have used a D7000 I have kept it in centre-point focus (this is in event photography) and it worked fine for the situation. I suspect that we are not meant to use all 39 AF points at the same time. We will need to use them in groups. I would be glad to be proved wrong, though.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Raja ...39 af point really works fine at the time of portrait shots..or landscapes coz in portraits it automatically adds up with face detection and in landscapes or product shot it lock in quickly .
basically it locks on based on the contrast of the subject ...if scene is jumbled up or less in contrast then it gets confused

raja manuel

In the zone
Raja ...39 af point really works fine at the time of portrait shots
..or landscapes coz in portraits it automatically adds up with face detection
Face detection with PDAF?
and in landscapes or product shot it lock in quickly .
When you shoot landscapes you require 39 AF points and let the camera decide what to focus on? Curious as to your shooting style; I would have thought landscapes are the area least likely to require many AF points.
Also, in what situations do you find the number of focus points determines how quickly focus locks?

sujoyp

Grand Master
raja it seems I mixed up my mobile AF and camera AF ...no my cam does not add up with face detection...but my mobile does that :p

yes in landscape photography I tend to focus on infinite mostly...that too f8-f16 ....why will I need focus point manually selected in that case ....the 39AF points automatically select any area in focus soo it locks in quickly...

I think while taking group photo, or in the garden where multiple flowers is to be kept in focus and landscape ....I use 39AF when I need multiple object in focus rather then just one...yes I dont use 39AF at 2.8 ....I use it more when I am at f8 and below.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Akash,
Check out this discussion, you may find it useful in making buying decision.

raja manuel

In the zone
the 39AF points automatically select any area in focus soo it locks in quickly...
If an area is already in focus, why do you need the AF point to lock? This is circular reasoning.
I use 39AF when I need multiple object in focus rather then just one
How? The lens can only focus on one plane; anything before or behind that plane will appear in focus based on DOF, not autofocus points.

sujoyp

Grand Master
strange...I never thought about this ...then why do all bird photographers needs D300 51 AF system ....the reason must be good hit rate while clicking on burst or panning

raja manuel

In the zone
A review of the D300 says the 51 point AF is a bit slow (when used in all 51 point auto mode), so it is possible that it is the burst speed (8 fps on a full frame body) that attracts the birders (which sort of corresponds with what I have heard from other birders). It is also possible that a large number of AF points gives greater flexibility in AF patterns. I don't know if that is of interest to birders; as far as I am aware the most complex AF systems are sought after by sports photographers, particularly those who cover fast moving team sports, but I don't know enough about this to be sure.
Or maybe they all bought a D300 because that is what every other birder has :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
if multiple AF point is useful for sports then it will be useful in birding too...birds are also fast moving objects...yes burst speed is a thing which attracts 7D and D300, D300s users ...but all of them have equaly fast AF system

I will read some articles about the need of multiple AF points. :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ You want to shoot action and don't want Nikon. And you know your choices... 60D vs 70D vs 7D. I hope you have done some research in the last three weeks. By now you know better what you want.
60D with kit lens costs little over 40k, you can save the rest for lenses and accessories.
70D, If you think/feel the features worth the extra go for it.
7D, semi pro body. Looks, feels like a pro. But 7D MK 2 likely too see it's announcement this year. Once that happens, value of 7D will drop a lot.
Take time to think and decide.

You think you will the features of 70D for the next two years. If not, go with 60D use it for two years. By then you know better as you have experienced, then you can decide whether you wanna/need to upgrade to 70D/7D MK 2.

sujoyp

Grand Master
1.3L is a bigg budget ...tell me what all you want to shoot ...lets make a good config for you ;)

Even if you say everything ...most things can fit there...but a specific answer is much better

OP
A

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Things i'm going to shoot : wildlife (burst mode required... i click a lot of birds) , landscapes, Macro (lots of it), few portraits. Flash photography (mainly for flowers)..., I do the long exposure light trails at times too!

strict no no : product photography

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
LOL soo you have mentioned almost everything ...lets see

The big problem with wildlife is that it takes away most of your budget ....a canon 100-400 itself cost 1.1 lakh new and 75k used ...soo we will keep pro wildlife lens away from ur budget untill you learn the basics of wildlife photography.

70D+18-55 stm =75k
Tamron 70-300 VC USD = 25k
Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro lens = 22k
canon 50mm 1.8 = 6k

that makes 1.28 Lakh ....now all that without a bag, tripod, flash ....soo that way you have to sacrifice a lens for now or get a 60D

Canon 60D + kit = 44k
Tamron 70-300 VC USD = 25k
Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro lens = 22k
canon 50mm 1.8 = 6k
A good camera bag =5k
A good nissin flash =10k
A good tripod =8k

Still 10k left...we will think about it :D

with 10k you can get
canon 70-300 instead of tammy 70-300
canon flash instead of nissin flash
a better tripod which will last forever
replace kit lens with Tamron 17-50 f2.8

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:D
First decide on what body you want and better don't deploy all your money right away. Buy a DSLR with kit lens and use it for a while before buying any other lenses.

Top Bottom