60D or 70D Buying advice

kaz

right here
I have read that the hybrid AF system in 70D makes it a much better dslr for video recording than other competitors :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
The advantage seems to me more targeted at wildlife/bird photography and video
2fps extra means a lot in wildlife and birding
bigger brighter viewfinder is also big advantage as you compose each shot using viewfinder only :)
more cross focus point and faster focusing is also big advantage for wildlife and birding mostly

OP
A

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
how much difference does the image processor make?... i understand that the 60D has a digic 4 and the 70d has digic 5+.
is the difference notable?
About the increase in cross focus points... thats quite a big deal right... It should help in better framing i believe? Also, can someone explain the difference between nikon focus points and those of canons?

2MP is hardly any difference... i use a 8MP bridge now and i'm quite happy with 8 itself!

PS : i rarely take videos.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Definitely 5+ is better.
All the focus points in Canon are cross focus while Nikon does have more focus points but fewer are cross focus points. Raja shared this link, check out these video series for better understanding of Canon focusing system

sujoyp

Grand Master
70D have 19 AF points all cross type

Nikon D7100 have 51 AF points and 15 cross type ...framing is actually easier in D7100

70D
*www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-70d/ZTECH_AFPOINTS.jpg

60D
*i.stack.imgur.com/04T34.jpg

D7000
*4.bp.blogspot.com/-6FWW7vMBMWM/Ub-FLynx6gI/AAAAAAAABTs/ReVTWAdm9hQ/s400/D7000+AF+Sensors.jpg

D7100
*1.bp.blogspot.com/-DRWu2YmqHcg/UeNOnX0OtjI/AAAAAAAABaU/68Oz7X-Svf0/s400/Nikon+D7100+AF.jpg

nac

Aspiring Novelist
My compact camera just have center focus. I don't have the luxury of pick the one I want. I have to recompose and shoot. I can understand the benefit of having focus points to pick. 70D pretty much cover the same space but with closer focus points than 60D. Does it make 70D better by huge margin? I don't know... @OP please don't mind. This kinda discussion will sure help you know/understand +/- and what you get/what you miss of the products. I am not against 70D or favouring 60D.

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac while framing you can select the right focus point ...like in portrait you can select the eyes or while shooting a bird you can select the bird ...thats an advantage

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, I get it. It's an advantage. Every little upgrade is an advantage (at least most of the time ;) ). But how much better it is to have closer focus points? With 60D we can still pick one of those 9 focus points and shoot. 7D does have the same amount of focus points as 70D, better built, faster, more customizable, bigger and 100% VF and it's just around the corner. (Really I am not suggesting 7D here. Just that spending more money for the next level (7d) is justifiable better than the same range (60d).
d600, a full frame costs 110000, 70d costs about 71k and 7d costs about 83k. What will be the launching price 7d mark ii? I guess it's gonna cost as much low end FF

sujoyp

Grand Master
7D was the best birding DSLR till now ....nothings beats it....just that its ISO is very outdated now...and people dont like grains at ISO 1000 or ISO 1600 nowdays.

7DMKII will surely cost around 90k ...anyhow DX world is different ...people get DX for cheaper lenses and longer lenses...and fast burst speed at cheap ...
people like me shifting to FX will need to sell off there 4 out of 6 lenses ...then why will I bother at all :)

raja manuel

In the zone
Whether cross-type AF points are an advantage or not depends on how you shoot. On my 600D I find the normal focus points a disadvantage particularly in low-light situations; in most normally lit situations they lock quickly and easily. Those who follow the compose-recompose method of framing also might not benefit from more cross-type AF points. I know a few D7000 users who have their cameras permanently set to centre point because they find that easier to handle, especially for event photography.
And just when we are drooling over the cross-type autofocus point along comes the double cross…

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Those who follow the compose-recompose method of framing also might not benefit from more cross-type AF points. I know a few D7000 users who have their cameras permanently set to centre point because they find that easier to handle, especially for event photography.
And just when we are drooling over the cross-type autofocus point along comes the double cross…
May be they are old school, no offense meant. Something they are used to and feel comfortable using it though there is better/faster/easier way to do (at least claims to be) ;)
"Learning something new is hard and forgetting the learned things are even more harder"
:D That's new to me. I haven't heard something like this exists

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac its not like that ...you cant imagine how frustated I was when my auto selection AF could not focus on a bird just front of me ..my all 39 AF points were confused ...and if I want to move around 39 AF points that theoretically good but practically not soo good
I just put my cam again on center AF point/single point AF and I got all correct AF in a second .
So after that incident I decided to use 39AF points in landscapes/portraits but single AF on birds

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Very true. The more you use, more you know about your camera and you can effectively use its features. Give it some time. You can very well judge what to use when and where...
This I read very recently, may be today or yesterday... Its someones signature I think.
"Good judgement comes from experience and that experience comes from bad judgement" :)

OP
A

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
7D was the best birding DSLR till now ....nothings beats it....just that its ISO is very outdated now...and people dont like grains at ISO 1000 or ISO 1600 nowdays.

7DMKII will surely cost around 90k ...anyhow DX world is different ...people get DX for cheaper lenses and longer lenses...and fast burst speed at cheap ...
people like me shifting to FX will need to sell off there 4 out of 6 lenses ...then why will I bother at all :)

7d m2 is bound to cost a lot more... rumors say it has 61 AF points combined with ISO performance close to 5d m3 =/ + dual digic 5

nac

Aspiring Novelist
7d 2 may cost as much as 6d but I don't think it will cost as much as 5D 3. That's too much...

My speculation of 7d 2 spec:

70d's sensor
likely equipped with dual digic 5+, this will bump up burst a little
70d's dual AF with more focus points
touch screen but fixed
will inherit 7d's bigger 100% VF
better control over video (compared to 70d)
wifi, nfc
better battery
CF compatible

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac we are saying it will inherit AF system from 5Dmk3 and not price of 5dmk3

touch screen on a Pro body...I dont think so...I want many keys for every features...touch screen just for menu system

Top Bottom