6 Cores. 12 Threads. Say Hello to Intel's Gulftown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor costs $167 per core or $83 per thread.

Today at the Game Developers Conference, Intel previewed platforms featuring the latest Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor, codenamed "Gulftown," the first 32nm, six-core processor with 12 computing threads.

We've put the shiny new Extreme processor through its paces inside our labs and we're mighty impressed that the Core i7-980X met our high expectations. Of course, at a cost of $1,000 per CPU, anything less than the fastest would have been a disappointment.

Check out a rundown of the latest and greatest from Intel with a walkthrough by Chris Angelini

*www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-gulftown-hexacore-core-i7-extreme,9857.html

The Full Review and Benchmarks

My conclusion : Though ii offers some performance improvements in audio/video transcoding apps and photoshop and some compression tools there is no performance improvements in gaming and The high price does not justify the performance it offers.

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ but games ( at least latest ones ) are not showing any performance improvements with it ... a OCed ( 3.33 GHz or 4 GHz with water cooling ) core i7 920 is best for gaming anyday and is very VFM too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom