1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

6 Cores. 12 Threads. Say Hello to Intel's Gulftown!

Discussion in 'Technology News' started by topgear, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgear

topgear Fast 'N' Furious Staff Member

The new Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor costs $167 per core or $83 per thread.

Today at the Game Developers Conference, Intel previewed platforms featuring the latest Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor, codenamed "Gulftown," the first 32nm, six-core processor with 12 computing threads.

We've put the shiny new Extreme processor through its paces inside our labs and we're mighty impressed that the Core i7-980X met our high expectations. Of course, at a cost of $1,000 per CPU, anything less than the fastest would have been a disappointment.

Check out a rundown of the latest and greatest from Intel with a walkthrough by Chris Angelini

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-gulftown-hexacore-core-i7-extreme,9857.html

The Full Review and Benchmarks

My conclusion : Though ii offers some performance improvements in audio/video transcoding apps and photoshop and some compression tools there is no performance improvements in gaming and The high price does not justify the performance it offers.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel Banned

holy f*ck only 6 cores with 12 threads? and i was thinking 8 superthreaded cores :razz:

3. tekdude

tekdude New Member

Rs.50000/-(aprox.) for a processor? gaming rulez!

4. OP
    OP
    topgear

topgear Fast 'N' Furious Staff Member

^^ but games ( at least latest ones ) are not showing any performance improvements with it ... a OCed ( 3.33 GHz or 4 GHz with water cooling ) core i7 920 is best for gaming anyday and is very VFM too :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.