Justice

Broken In
My system specifications are as follows

Core2Duo E4500 @ 2.20 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 Ram
Asus P5GC Mx-1333
1440x900 LG monitor
Corsair VX450 PSU

I was thinking about 5770 VaporX or Sapphire 6790 so which one should i get ?

and will my cpu be a bottleneck for 6790 ?

sukesh1090

Adam young
You should better go with 5770 as the performance difference is negligible and 6790 is not worth the money paid.
I think there won't be any bottlenecking,if u can then just overclock ur processor to 2.5-2.6 GHz or more.
Wait for others suggestion.

iVB_Robot

Broken In
There is not much of a price difference. 6790 @Rs 8700 Buy Sapphire HD 6790 1GB GDDR5 Card in Mumbai India

and 5770 VaporX @Rs 7650 Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB ( Vapor Edition )

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^but considering the performance diffence it is not worth paying 1k more for 6790.
@op
If u can afford why don't u go for 6850 or gts 460 768mb.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your CPU will definitely be a bottleneck for both the 6790 and 6850, I think. I have a E7400 and 6950 1gb and the bottleneck is huge.

OP
J

Justice

Broken In
so that means that 5770 would be a better choice ? And i am pretty confused right now cause my friend tells me that if a 5770 is not a bottleneck then 6790 would also not be a bottleneck since these cards are pretty close in performance and specs.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
6790 is based on Barts core and much better performer than 5770/6770 but for your resolution I would rather ask you to go for the 5770 and save some bucks.

OP
J

Justice

Broken In
well ,both the cards are well in my budget so i would probably go for performance rather than saving so if a 6790 will not be bottlenecked by my cpu then should i get a 6790 ?

Piyush

Lanaya
I would recommend to go for 6850 if possible
and you can OC your E4500 to some extent to curb down bottlenecking a little bit
I'm saying so because gfx are not bought every day
and who knows you may buy a new processor soon....

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
At low res, the bottleneck will be more. If you don't have any plans to upgrade any time, I would suggest going for the 6770. There's no point buying a 8k card and getting 7k performance.

@Piyush: I OCed my e7400 to 3.6ghz (28%). Although 3dmark vantage and 06 scores were improved there's insignificant effect on 3dmark11, Dirt 2 and NFS HP. My RAM limited my OC potential but I was already losing interest as there's little gain in actual games. CPU architecture also plays a role and with most modern games playing better with more than 2 cores, these dual core dinosaurs will ultimately hit the wall.

Last edited:
OP
J

Justice

Broken In
No , i'll not be upgrading anytime soon and i atleast want this config of mine to be future-proof for 2-3 years max .And i know this much that with my current cpu , 6850 would not be a good option . So is the 6790 still a good option ? and at primeabgb how many years warranty is available ? *www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...gory_id=132&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9999

Piyush

Lanaya
then go for HD 6770, wil be the best option here

@skud
@3.6ghz and still not enough juice...
hmmm....I'm going to read more about bottlenecking

sukesh1090

Adam young
If he buy 6850 and gets the performance of 5770 due to bottlenecking then it is not a bad idea to buy it bcoz after two years when he upgrades his rig he won't be needed to pay for a gfx card.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, at higher resolution CPU bottlenecks the GPU, not in lower resolution. I think you have misunderstood the behavior that in low resolution games can perform more better with the addition of a more powerful GPU. The reason is that at low resolution a standard card like GTX 460 or HD 6850 cannot overloaded with the calculation amount and more data CPU can provide them, more performance will be gained. But this is not bottlenecking.

However, in very high resolution, starting from Full HD, CPU simply cannot process data as fast as GPU can and here GPU is also overloaded with high amount of data. At this time you will feel the need of a more powerful CPU.

E4500 is a good processor and very good overclocker. With the stock cooleer you can easily reach 2.4-2.6 GHz. I know it as I've personal experience with my 2nd system in Kolkata. And it can handle the GPU like GTX 6790 @ 1440X900 resolution pretty well.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP is not upgrading in another 2-3 years. And 2-3 years later, the bottleneck might be other way round... ;)

OP
J

Justice

Broken In
Guys, at higher resolution CPU bottlenecks the GPU, not in lower resolution. I think you have misunderstood the behavior that in low resolution games can perform more better with the addition of a more powerful GPU. The reason is that at low resolution a standard card like GTX 460 or HD 6850 cannot overloaded with the calculation amount and more data CPU can provide them, more performance will be gained. But this is not bottlenecking.

However, in very high resolution, starting from Full HD, CPU simply cannot process data as fast as GPU can and here GPU is also overloaded with high amount of data. At this time you will feel the need of a more powerful CPU.

E4500 is a good processor and very good overclocker. With the stock cooleer you can easily reach 2.4-2.6 GHz. I know it as I've personal experience with my 2nd system in Kolkata. And it can handle the GPU like GTX 6790 @ 1440X900 resolution pretty well.

Is E4500 also capable of handling a 6850 or a GTX 460 ? and can you please tell me how to overclock my cpu as i am a total beginner in overclocking ...

OP is not upgrading in another 2-3 years. And 2-3 years later, the bottleneck might be other way round... ;)

I don't think i will even be upgrading after 2-3 years thats because i'll be too busy studying for my 11th and so will completely stop gaming until i finish my 12th ofcourse and have free time in college :) and at that time even a 6850 would be outdated.So i'll have to buy a new gfx whatsoever .

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
Just google for overclocking tutorial and if you find any doubt just post it in overclocking thread.
Btw my vote is for 6850

Top Bottom