4x AGP to 8X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Broken In
I got a Radeon 9200 SE its 8x 128MB .
But my MoBo(Krypton M7VIA series) supports max speed of 4x AGP!
Will there be any considerable change upgrading my MBoard to 8X type?

Is there any FLASHy way of foxing my current board to update to 8X without changing the hardware?

If I need to go for a brand new, which to?

NOTE : As always, LIMITED BUDGET !

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
AGP 8X cards are backward compatible with 4X interface.
Ur new AGP 8X card would automatically scale down to 4X when connected on an 4X pord.The perfomance difference b/w 4X nd 8X is negligible nd it is the GPU that matters nd not the interface(4X or 8X).

But AGP 8Xcard wont run on an AGP 2X on a mobo as it is not backward compatible and the voltages is also different!!!!!
It could even damage the card nd void the warranty!

OP
I

Intruder

Broken In
That was quiet interesting and valuable info !
Thanks a lot

But ....
The perfomance difference b/w 4X nd 8X is negligible

this is what i need to get in depth to.
Is it correct ? I thought the Bus matters along with the GPU

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
The speed of these interfaces(AGP4Xor 8X) is represented in GBps.
But actually there is not yhat much data to work.So these proves to be rubbish.Even a 6800 doesnt need that much speed for interface.Its true....
But we should keep moving on as most of the new technologies are not backward compatible.
These speed usually affects when we have huge amount of Video memory(256 or even 512MB) 256 bit memeory or higher memory in our Gcard and the GPU is much powerful(6800 ultra or X850XT).

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
aravind_n20 said:
The speed of these interfaces(AGP4Xor 8X) is represented in GBps.
But actually there is not yhat much data to work.So these proves to be rubbish.Even a 6800 doesnt need that much speed for interface.Its true....
But we should keep moving on as most of the new technologies are not backward compatible.
These speed usually affects when we have huge amount of Video memory(256 or even 512MB) 256 bit memeory or higher memory in our Gcard and the GPU is much powerful(6800 ultra or X850XT).

Well said again aravind_n20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom