4K vs OLED TV.

Sam22

TV Expert
LG and Sony both launched their 4K ultra HD TV's few days back and they are getting good user reviews as well. On the other hands, the talks of OLED Tv's are here from quite a long time and no one exactly knows when they are gonna be launched in India. Reports from LG and Samsung has claimed that they will be shipping around 500 OLED Tv's to US in 2013.

SO can we conclude that the lauch of 4k Tv's had ended up the market for the OLED TV's. 4k are quite expensive as compared to OLED TV's but they have everything that one needs in his TV, better contrast, amazing blacks.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
It really is a toss up between an Ultra HD TV and an OLED TV. However, if you want a TV over 65 inches, it's best to get the Ultra HD TV. On the other hand, anything smaller, and the OLED TV will do.

Just my 1.08 rupees!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

OP
Sam22

Sam22

TV Expert
It really is a toss up between an Ultra HD TV and an OLED TV. However, if you want a TV over 65 inches, it's best to get the Ultra HD TV. On the other hand, anything smaller, and the OLED TV will do.

Just my 1.08 rupees!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Do you really think that a TV over 65" will work in India. There is really a very, very low percentage of people who can afford the OLED TV's, not to talk about the 84" ultra HD Tv's.

and Yeah, I transferred the amount to your account. :)

randomuser111

Technomancer
Ultra HD or 4K TVs are in no way superior to usual LED TVs apart from resolution. They do NOT have perfect blacks, or the most accurate colors or best motion handling.

So instead of 4K vs OLED, its LCD vs OLED. And there, OLED is of course superior.

But for someone who is not so particular about technicalities of "picture" and not a videophile, 4K will be better to him than 1080p OLED. 4K LCD vs 4K OLED (when it comes), 4K OLED would win by a significant margin.

Anyway, Sony OLED TVs are also coming next year, to give company to Samsung and LG OLED TVs which were supposed to ship already but have been delayed :mrgreen:

OP
Sam22

Sam22

TV Expert
expect a 4k OLED tv by next year no it is not dead

Well, We can only assume something like this keeping our finger's crossed.

Ultra HD or 4K TVs are in no way superior to usual LED TVs apart from resolution. They do NOT have perfect blacks, or the most accurate colors or best motion handling.

So instead of 4K vs OLED, its LCD vs OLED. And there, OLED is of course superior.

But for someone who is not so particular about technicalities of "picture" and not a videophile, 4K will be better to him than 1080p OLED. 4K LCD vs 4K OLED (when it comes), 4K OLED would win by a significant margin.

Anyway, Sony OLED TVs are also coming next year, to give company to Samsung and LG OLED TVs which were supposed to ship already but have been delayed :mrgreen:

Sony is launching it's OLED in a partnership with Panasonic and we can expect to see a glimpse of it in the CES, which is going to be held next month.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

The partnership is actually more complicated than it sounds. Basically Panasonic is investing money and also helping with the production, that's about it. All the development work is done by Sony and its OLED partner AU Optronics. The panels are also being produced by AU Optronics.

The TV's will be different though. Sony will have its own OLED TVs and Panasonic will have its own OLED TVs. Partnership is only for panels, nothing else. So features and performance wise Sony OLED TV will be completely different from Panasonic OLED TV apart from the panel.

Also next year Sony is making the shift to Passive 3D :)

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert

I completely agree. As of now, it's extremely difficult to create large-scale OLED screens. If you think about it, smaller OLED screens have been around for a couple of years, but there hasn't been an OLED TV to date. Why? Previously, the rejection rate of OLED panels coming out of a manufacturing was too high. The technology for OLED TVs has been around... the only problem is with manufacturing them on a large scale. However, once this hurdle has been jumped, I would assume that creating an Ultra HD OLED TV would present fewer challenges.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

OP
Sam22

Sam22

TV Expert
^

The partnership is actually more complicated than it sounds. Basically Panasonic is investing money and also helping with the production, that's about it. All the development work is done by Sony and its OLED partner AU Optronics. The panels are also being produced by AU Optronics.

The TV's will be different though. Sony will have its own OLED TVs and Panasonic will have its own OLED TVs. Partnership is only for panels, nothing else. So features and performance wise Sony OLED TV will be completely different from Panasonic OLED TV apart from the panel.

Also next year Sony is making the shift to Passive 3D :)

Sony Shifting to passive 3D?? Is it a confirmed news?

I would bet on 4K any day compared to OLED. But bro what about 4K content bro? There is dearth of 3D content as it is even though it has been a while since 3D TVs were introduced; let alone 4K. It's like Ferrari and 300 mph cars being introduced when we do not have the roads on which they can zip close to their maximum speed.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
I would bet on 4K any day compared to OLED. But bro what about 4K content bro? There is dearth of 3D content as it is even though it has been a while since 3D TVs were introduced; let alone 4K. It's like Ferrari and 300 mph cars being introduced when we do not have the roads on which they can zip close to their maximum speed.

As with the case with any new technology/standard, the hardware must exist first (and prove itself) before more content is released. In the case of 4K content, why would any producer release a movie in 4K when there is no hardware to play native 4K? It makes sense to have the hardware out first, see how it works out, then release more content depending on the rate of adoption to the new standard. 3D TVs ran into the same problem when they were first introduced years ago. There was hardly any 3D content then, but now, there is much, much more 3D content than ever before.

TLDR; there will definitely be much, much more 4K content in the years to come.

Just my 1.10 rupees!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Kirtu Jindal

Broken In

AFAIK, Sony ALREADY has an OLED TV in the market - for quite some time. Only the screen is very small - I think 11 inches or thereabouts!

I think the LG OLED TV will have a head-start over its 4K cousin - since there is ample content that can be enjoyed on a "full" HD TV. For the 4K screen, up-scaling of the existing HD content will be the only solution for a long time to come.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
AFAIK, Sony ALREADY has an OLED TV in the market - for quite some time. Only the screen is very small - I think 11 inches or thereabouts!

I think the LG OLED TV will have a head-start over its 4K cousin - since there is ample content that can be enjoyed on a "full" HD TV. For the 4K screen, up-scaling of the existing HD content will be the only solution for a long time to come.

Well, once the LG OLED Ultra HD TV comes out, my mind will be blown.

LG to launch 4K OLED TV in 2013 - Feature - TVs - CNET Asia

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Top Bottom