4GB RAM on 32-bit OS. Can it be done!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Hey guys, I have a 2x2GB 667MHz RAM and I use 32-bit WinXP SP3. Is there any way that we can make the OS to use full potential of 4GB RAM?? I heard there is a way, it's PAE. Can it be done?? If so, tell me briefly on how to do it. Please guys. And one more Q, Will games make use of 4GB even on a 32-bit OS, or only 3.25GB?? :confused:

Yeah, use PAE. Its quite easy.
Google for instructions.

Its a big lie that 32bit can't use over 4GB RAM. I know many who do.

The limit is still there though - around 16GB (or was it 64GB ?) but for that level to be breached, I don't think 32bit OSes will live long enough.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^^Can you, if you know, explain me 'bout that?? Thanks for letting me know :). Or a link may be........

ancientrites

In the zone
i had 4gbram@ 800mhz ram on my system.it showed 3.75 on xpsp3 and 3.25 on xpsp2.there is no way you can have complete 4gb ram with windows xp and windows vista 32 bits

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Why can't a 32bit OS access 4GB of memory? Because 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 bytes = 4096 MB. Now this address space is shared by RAM as well any memory mapped I/O devices (all devices'/ports' haf an address assigned to them for communication which shares this address space). Hence some part of it (e.g 0.25GB) is reserved for them.

What is PAE? PAE increases the 32-bit limit to 36-bit provided the CPU is 64-bit. Theoretically thats 2^36 bytes = 64 GB, but some OS' haf a limitation on the addressing limit.

You can force physical address extension on 32bit OS'. To enable PAE, start Command Prompt in admin mode and type this: BCDedit /set PAE forceenable

You will need to restart your system. This may or may not work for you. To disable PAE, replace 'forceenable' with 'forcedisable'.

If it works and you've enabled PAE you may find your system to be a bit slow. This is due to the extra addressing overhead. You may want to turn Data Execution Prevention (thats a hardware method of prevent buffer overruns). To do that, open command prompt in administrator mode and type these series of commands:

1) BCDedit /set nx AlwaysOff
(This turns off DEP alongwith PAE)

2) BCDedit /set pae ForceEnable
(Force PAE to turn on, inspite of disabling DEP)

Get back to us and let us know if it works for you and about the performance.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Its boring, Lets all be clear 32bit OS can't address all 4GB of RAM !!!

By Designing a nice memory mapping method even 2 bit OS can be enabled to use all of 1000TB of RAM. But what use, system will slow down to hell.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^Yup I asked someone who knows a lot about linux (I know we are talking about windows- but just consider this as a good to know information) that if you opt for server kernel 32bit OS will exploit 4GB.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Ok. @infra_red_dude - No, it didn't :(. It's says "It's either a internal or external.......(something). BCDedit is not......(something)". Anyway, will games make use of 4Gigs of RAM on 32-bit or only 3.25Gigs?? Please answer this, guys.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ok. @infra_red_dude - No, it didn't :(. It's says "It's either a internal or external.......(something). BCDedit is not......(something)". Anyway, will games make use of 4Gigs of RAM on 32-bit or only 3.25Gigs?? Please answer this, guys.
Dammit! I'm sorry. I thought you are using Vista. My bad.

For XP do this:

Open C:\boot.ini and add /PAE to the end of the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect /PAE

To disable PAE, modify the line like this:

/noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Ok, no probs. I'll try and post back the answer.

Will Games Make Use Of 4gb Of Ram Or Only 3.25gb On A 32-bit Os!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom