48 bit LBA on a Linux distribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
I need a quick answer/opinion real fast!

i got a 160 gb hdd with a new motherboard and amd 64 athlon 2800. during the windows setup it detected only 131069 mb(~ 131gb) although the bios correctly detects 160gb. i had posted this problem here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25929

i thought i solved the problem but then since i use a pirate copy of xp i could not install service pack 1 itself.

needless to say i decided to tackle the problem from a different perspective which is why this post is here.

Is there any linux distribution which supports 48-bit LBA (which XP without SP1 does not support! *support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013- MS knowledge base for curious people)

i am currently using debian. my plan is:
1. accd to the calculations i should actually get 149 gb for the industry's stated 160 gb
2. im sure some distro of linux supports 48-bit LBA for which i decide to use 110 gb for windows and then use 39 gb for linux. im ready to make the switch to another distro

is this possible?
if yes please give me the instructions to proceed with.

sba

Journeyman
Any distro with Kernel Version > 2.5.51 will suffice cos at that time BIOS support for guessing disk geometry was dropped. There is no need for thinking about all these 32 bit - 48 bit LBA and all now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom