42 inch LED TV help me select

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey all
Thinking about getting a 42 inch tv..

its mainly going to end up being just used for watching soap operas and the occasional movies from pen drive. and some sports footballl and cricket..

we dont really need anything fancy ..
the features i would like are
Good playback support from usb and FHD..and good picture quality..also with a digital audio output (i believe they are there in all tv now),so i wouldnt mind an option without 3d ,

initially found sony w850 interesting...though many of its features were going to be useless..yet dad found it to have a good picture quality and he wanted to buy...
but im looking at other options now..

so another option i came across is the Panasonic L42ET60D

yeah both these are 3d and that aspect is never going to be used..but my idea is 3d tvs have better 2d picture quality in general am i wrong?

so guys can anyone tell me are there better models..what about ASS..
im a bit concerned as i read here and there that these LED tvs have limited life as short as 5 years or even much less
which is even making me doubt the idea of changing our old 29" so this is also something i guess should be considered

havent checked any other brands other than panasonic and sony so far..
so what about samsung , LG?

i would like the budget to be kept in mind.. an upperlimit around 70-80k is what im lookin at...lower is better..

Also how trustworthy is it to buy online?? im not entirely comfortable regarding buying a big 42 inch..some comment regarding this would be helpfull..
So in short im looking for a 42 inch tv with

• Picture quality
  • Maximum USB playback support
  • Digital audio output..toslink preferable
  • ASS and low maintenance

so TV gurus show me thy path :p

Minion

Conversation Architect
To be honest it is not wise to spend 70-80k on a tv because big brands like Sony,Samsung and Lg.They only provide 1 year warranty they should be providing minimum of 3 yrs.
Sony W850 is a good performer but little overpriced and since you are not going to use 3D don't get it and remember every tv can be calibrated to get similar results only buying criteria should be processing chip used and panel type.
regarding Tv i will suggest you to get Philips 42PFL7977 You will get 1yr or 2yr videocon d2h HD platinum pack for free it has DDB so you will not need a DTH box.
Philips 42PFL7977 have Pixelperfect engine which is a very powerful Picture engine and it uses better panel(SPVA).

- - - Updated - - -

You should get it for 48-50k and it is a steal at this price.

OP
kamikaz

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks for the reply mate..its a good thing to buy a good tv..but what if i run into problems..i really hope that doesnt happen still. i didnt even knew philips were making tvs these days until i started looking for buying a tv.and i have no clue regarding its customer service...ill be looking at it..planning to go to some show rooms and check the tvs though i doubt they would be available here in kerala.. right now leaning towards panasonic..

better options are welcome..if possible provide links for some reviews..for me info regarding TV is very much a grey area.. :/..

Minion

Conversation Architect
Philips is not popular in India due to their marketing dept. They are doing better business everywhere in world except India.You will get 3 yrs warranty and their customer service is same as Samsung,Sony.
You can find philips tvs in E zone,pantaloons,Croma etc.

- - - Updated - - -

About reviews just Google for Philips TVs reviews and you will find reviews from UK,US sites.I don't know why but most of the Indian sites doesn't seem to review TVs.

OP
kamikaz

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
sadly im at kerala and in my town went to three big showrooms they were mainly marketing the big three..i did find philips but for me the DDb option is not much aluring as we already have a local cable set top box..
im more or less locked up on w700b ,sony...

also i hear philips is now owned by some chinese company and the indian philips tv are made by videocon..and the ass isnt very good..

Top Bottom