42 Inch LCD Buying Suggestions

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
+1 for this.Nothing can beat it and is cheaper too.

- - - Updated - - -

Every tv can be calibrated so no issue here only thing that matter most is quality of panel.

"Quality of Panel" exactly!!!
Thats where LG,Samsung fail miserably

Sony,Sharp,Toshiba have the best panels

Samsung and LG have poor quality internals and go bad very fast

Ive have Samsung,LG and Sony TVs
My house is now of Sony TVs only
My Samsung and LG are in my other house

I know the difference

$hadow

Geek in making
Well this is a user dependable scenario. There are people who likes punchy and warm color and then there are people who like it true to life.

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung and LG lose the "better" within 2 months trust me
Their factory settings are for oversaturation,this wears out the LEDs rather fast
also the internals arent upto the mark

Sony is much better in the long run

I can vouch for sony and sharp panels.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
That particular TV supports 4k @ 60 hz via HDMI 2.0 .. However, the input source must be 8 bit.. if you have a device that supports only 10 bit color like this, then it will automatically set it to 30 hz.. Please note that for normal TV and movies, this has absolutely NO IMPACT.. 60 hz is needed ONLY for gaming and productivity softwares in PC
Here's a full review of the TV, besides this.. there is absolutely no reason not to go for this TV
LG 42UB820T 4K UHD TV Review
Cheers !

I’ve also been told that since the TV only supports 8-bit / YCbCr 4:2:0, and not 10-bit RBG/YUV 4:4:4, so some HDMI 2.0 TV boxes may not work at 4K60 apparently due to limitations of some processors like Rockchip RK3288 that does not support YUV420 video output.

Read more: LG 42UB820T 4K UHD TV Review

$hadow

Geek in making
There are not many people who use a tv for gaming only or for productivity software. So on a short note it is safe to say that you will not notice a lot of difference in day to day viewing.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Spent some time in the TV showrooms finally fixed Metro Cash and Carry to buy the TV (Sony). But Great Eastern asked me to wait for this month end as they will have some new models by then. I will wait and check those. But today I saw this article that Sony is calling off it's TV business along with it's smartphone market too?
Sony will spin off its audio and video business as it searches for profitablity | The Verge

So should I still go with Sony? I am quite terrified.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Nope don't go for sony they are going to shutdown tv business and you will be left without after sale service.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
[MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION], is it a confirmed news? Sony CEO has hinted about it but no confirmation as yet right? Google'd and found that in CES 2015 they have launched some new models CES 2015 Television - CES 2015 Sony Store - Sony US. Some of them will be coming to India by May or end of May.

According to this Sony is no longer an electronics company | The Verge
Sony announced last night that it's spinning off its audio and video divisions, much like it spun off its television division last year. That won't mean much right now; Sony still displayed interesting new Android-powered TVs at CES, and we're sure to see new crazy high-end Walkmans and camcorders with Sony branding from the newly independent AV division as well.
- post from February 18, 2015.

According to Los Angeles Times,
Sony’s share of global TV revenue fell to 7.5 percent in the third quarter last year from 8.1 percent the previous quarter, according to NPD DisplaySearch. Sony ranked third, trailing Samsung and LG. "There’s no prospect of its TV business being profitable," said Makoto Kikuchi, the Tokyo-based chief executive officer for Myojo Asset Management Co. "Sony’s strengths are content such as games and movies. It cannot increase profit without moving its focus from TV production to content."
See full - Sony to sell PC business, split TV unit after 10 years of losses - LA Times

So some of the articles are an year old like the LA times. So it seems that Sony indeed called off their TV production unit. But the new models are managed by some one 3rd party (mat be).

Final verdict then?
Some of the commenters in this post said that LG & Samsung has some issues with long durability while Sony is best in that. But Sony doesn't support many formats and other brands have high end models compared to Sony's W700B or other models' price.

Samsung or LG then? Samsung as of now leading the global market I suppose.

Minion

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION], is it a confirmed news? Sony CEO has hinted about it but no confirmation as yet right? Google'd and found that in CES 2015 they have launched some new models CES 2015 Television - CES 2015 Sony Store - Sony US. Some of them will be coming to India by May or end of May.

According to this Sony is no longer an electronics company | The Verge
- post from February 18, 2015.

According to Los Angeles Times,
See full - Sony to sell PC business, split TV unit after 10 years of losses - LA Times

So some of the articles are an year old like the LA times. So it seems that Sony indeed called off their TV production unit. But the new models are managed by some one 3rd party (mat be).

Final verdict then?
Some of the commenters in this post said that LG & Samsung has some issues with long durability while Sony is best in that. But Sony doesn't support many formats and other brands have high end models compared to Sony's W700B or other models' price.

Samsung or LG then? Samsung as of now leading the global market I suppose.

I don't think getting a Samsung or Lg is a bad investment.Lg has upped their game now.Many good models are available from LG.Samsung was good before 2013 now their tvs are expensive and not so feature rich in budget segment.

Just use a UPS with Tv you will not face any trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

@Minion, I think I'll go for LG 42UB820T. :-?
Sony failed me. :cry:

Don't be sad. It is a superb TV.

GreenLionNet

Right off the assembly line
Sony Bravia 42 inch LED TV is best or you also have Samsung 42 inch LED TV. These two options are best to consider and you can choice among them.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
I think my wait is over. I headed to many shops in Kolkata and they told me to wait for some time then arrived Sony Android TVs. I think I pick KDL-43W950C.

Any reviews on this? Well I have found some,
Amazon.in: Customer Reviews: Sony BRAVIA KDL-43W950C 108cm (43 inches) Full HD 3D LED TV
First Impressions: Sony Bravia Android TV KDL50W950C

But I like to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

sharang.d

Youngling
Go for the W800C and save money instead. It's available at 66k+(43").

What 950C has which 800C doesn't:
Camera, sound bar and triluminos display.

Check out rtings.com
800C has a petty good rating. Just below Samsung J6300.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
It's been one year now. I am outside of India and while I return will buy one. Now I can increase my budget a bit. Thinking of getting a 4K tv (43 inch+). Any suggestions? Preferably Sony.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Aneek

Minion

Conversation Architect
It's been one year now. I am outside of India and while I return will buy one. Now I can increase my budget a bit. Thinking of getting a 4K tv (43 inch+). Any suggestions? Preferably Sony.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Aneek

Hi,

How much you are willing to spend?

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Hi,

How much you are willing to spend?
Well, I can spend 90K to 1 Lakh. Is 4K possible? The problem is I am not willing to get a smart tv (don't know whether that's possible or not). Because I will setup my own smart tv features using Chromecast or similar.

Any suggestions?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Well, I can spend 90K to 1 Lakh. Is 4K possible? The problem is I am not willing to get a smart tv (don't know whether that's possible or not). Because I will setup my own smart tv features using Chromecast or similar.

Any suggestions?

4K HDR TV | X83D 4K HDR with Superslim Android TV | Sony I

Top Bottom