40 GB External Harddisk for Rs. 4000 = Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Well, this was shocking even for me, I was in the market with a friend of mine, to buy a PC for him, & there was a guy asing for a 1 GB Pen drive, suddenly the shopkeeper who is also my friend, gave him another Idea, a really good & shocking one

A samsung 2.5 Inch form factor based 40 GB Laptop Harddisk, for Rs 3500, & install it in an Intex External 2.5 Inch Harddisk casing with USB 2.0 for Rs 500

Total cost Rs 4,000 for a 40 GB external harddisk, small enough to fit in a shirt's pocket, & powered by the USB port itself, the HD works at 5400 RPM, which rives the old 5400 desktop HDs, & USB 2.0 for ultra fast copieng

Now combine me with a Camera phone there, what do U get = Pics

Both of them
*img294.imageshack.us/img294/7387/picture36qo.jpg

The HD itself

*img294.imageshack.us/img294/6947/picture24al.jpg

The USB 2.0 Casing by Intex

*img294.imageshack.us/img294/2097/picture10uv.jpg

now tell me isn't this the best "Jugard" of us, the great Indians & not to forgot a great buy

3 more guys who were their at the moment, baught it right there

OP
G

gxsaurav

& here is the link to the products itself, from their corresponding websites

The Hard disk

The intex external casing The 2.5 Inch encloser model

AlienTech

In the zone
You can actually get this called pocket HD for around 4000 or 7500 for the 80GB version. Those are by Sony I think. The drives are by Toshiba and they use that new perpendicular recording techonology. I am not sure if the drives are the same as those used in lap tops. I would go for that since it is made more for carrying than making one yourself. And it comes with a little leather pouch for carrying it.

Ankit

Journeyman
well i am using such a jugad since last 2 years and never had a performance issue....
but if u guys like to have some thing real sturdy...i'll suggest to go for lacie 40 gb external hdd...retailing in lammy for about 5.2k (modera electronis)....or if u can compromise a litle on the size of casing then go for seagate momentus..100 gb external hdd...retailing for about 8.5k-9k....may sound cotly but the casing of seagate has a leather lining..and very sturdy....heance slightly more sioze and weight...lacies weighs only about 200gms...

for external casing always try to get the casing from BAFO..they are really good much better than intex...will cost around 900....

tuxfan

Technomancer
Thats a great find gxsaurav. Could be pretty useful to me as I am about to go for a new HD for more space. :)

OP
G

gxsaurav

yo, although there are external HDs available & I know about it, this is simply something tricky which simply works, at a dam low price

AlienTech

In the zone
gxsaurav said:
yo, although there are external HDs available & I know about it, this is simply something tricky which simply works, at a dam low price

Yes... but.... In cases where you carry such things around...

It is always much much much better to get one that has been designed and pre made than making one yourself. It might not handle all the drops and stuff but it will be able to handle the vibrations and things much better. There is just no way one can do this assembly by hand and have it come out good. On the other hand if it is for home use then just get the 3 1/2 inch regular drive and casing which is much faster than the 2.5 drives.

OP
G

gxsaurav

anubhav_har said:
great find gaurav

it's Saurav, not gaurav

U r right, but it's not we who are making it, it's already made, I checked the casing yesterday, it's preety tight, even if a fully made extarnal HD falls, it will break, so will this

But Y will u throw it.....?

Ankit

Journeyman
once again let me add that please try to get casing from bafo....they are much better than intex...

blacklight

Journeyman
@gxsaurav
how is the hdd performance wise ? while transferring Gbs of data .i mean w.r.t a 7200 rpm drive ? do u get 7200 rpm drives also (of 2.5 inch size ) ?

goobimama

 Macboy
Go in for the "Vantec" casing. They offer no disconnection and perform superbly.

Don't tell me most didn't know about this HDD casing stuff...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
There is a company called "Gemini". Even TT reviewed their 2.5" casing.. it is real good too..

Good info for starters, gx :)

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
But there's a problem gxsaurav. Hard Discs are more prone to errors than flash discs. You have to be very careful handling them. Nothing happens if a pen drive falls on the floor, but guess what happens if a hard disc falls.

OP
G

gxsaurav

harddisks can usually withstand shock, i have seen HDs working even after they fell on ground from a simple height of 4 feets, much like an accident

goobimama

 Macboy
If you are worried about shocking the hard disk, a laptop hDD is much stronger than a 3.5 inch, while operation and as well as disconnected.

comrade

foreign return(0)
my 40 gb external 2.5 hdd was 4 months old. i bought it for Rs.3750 hdd+casing.
my primary use of it is to transfer downloaded files from my university which has got 2mbps internet connection.
i will recommed this for a usb drive..since it offers plenty of space...useful to share ur friends movies,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom