cross

Broken In
hi,

I am planing to upgrade my system.
Here are the Products i finalized.

Processor : AMD Phenom 2 - 955 BE
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Ram : 4 GB DDR 3 Transcend.

Problem is, I have a Cooler Master Extreme Power 600w Power Supply, which has only one 4 pin cpu power connector. But the above Motherboard has 8 pin cpu power slot.

Can i use my 600w single 4 Pin CPU power connector with the Motherboard ?
Will there be any Problem?
I already have an XFX Nvidia 8800 GT OC which i will use with new config.

Does anyone know about any Molex to 4 Pin Power adapter. Will such an adapter work for my problem.

If u know about the adapter in Hyderabad please let me know.

Please help....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hi..bro...

The page you gave..clearly lists that your powersupply has a :4+4pin+12V CPU Connector x1. This is the connector that goes into the motherboard..to supply to the CPU. It is a split type connector. You motherboard..needs a 8 PN connector and this can be joined..to supply that. If you want to be conservative, plug in 4 pins from the 8 pins only, but I think your processor is powerful, so play safe, and plug in the both 4+4 pin 12V.

OP
C

cross

Broken In
But i have just checked my PSU. It has only one 4 Pin connector.

The item on the CM Website is RS-600-PCAR-E3 but mine is only RS-600-PCAR.
May the website is showing the revised product with 2 4 Pin connectors.

*www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/12v4pinadapter.jpg

Can i use a Molex to 4 Pin adapter if available.

Last edited:
OP
C

cross

Broken In
I have asked the Gigabyte Technical Support the same question, and here is their exact reply.

About the issue you mentioned, basically, it should be ok to use 4 pin CPU power connector without problem. However, due to AMD Phenom II X4 955 is a 125W processor, if possible, we will suggest you to use 8 pin CPU connector.

So i will continue to use the 4 pin connector.

channabasanna

In the zone
Even i am using the same PSU with my Maximus Formula motherboard, for the past 1 year, till now i haven faced any issues. dont know what if i add a GTS250 or GTX260 card to my system.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I have asked the Gigabyte Technical Support the same question, and here is their exact reply.

About the issue you mentioned, basically, it should be ok to use 4 pin CPU power connector without problem. However, due to AMD Phenom II X4 955 is a 125W processor, if possible, we will suggest you to use 8 pin CPU connector.

So i will continue to use the 4 pin connector.

It's better be safe than to be Sorry. Get molex converter and use full 8 pin power input to CPU.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Yups..with powerfull processors..GPU..better to OVER supply..then under supply..and get system. crashes...BSOD...freeze up..during heavy load...!

Status
Not open for further replies.