3D - What are the Exact requirements for AMD's HD3D?

moltenskull

Journeyman
Ever since watching some 3D movies in theatres,I've always wondered whether it can be done on a PC?I know about NVIDIA's Sterescopic 3D vision but looking around for AMD's answers to this has drawn a blank.I read a bit about AMD's HD3D,seems like it requires a third party driver (iZ3D) with reports of slow performance in games,to provide Anaglyph 3D,which is my purpose,for now.I tried that,but my PC Bluescreens when I try to install it.My question is simple-

Apart from KMPlayer (which provides green output on my screen),is there any free/open source alternative to watching 3D movies on PC?

I am asking for a free application,but if anyone can provide an ''available-in-India'' alternative to playing 3D on a PC using an AMD GPU,I would be happy to pay.

Thank you.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Edit:KMPlayer does play 3D.I am trying to watch the Youtube trailer of Gravity in 3D.Successful upto some extent,but the problem is that the image is oversized...the trailer is in 2D,but when I click the 3D button,the image is oversized.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Download SBS or OU 3D files and in kmplayer '3D Screen Controls' menu, select the 3D type to SBS or OU and select your anaglyph lens type. Conversion from 2D to 3D is not great.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for replying! :) That is exactly what I am doing.But in SBS files,the only color I am getting is violet-green when I click on the 3D button...And Normal 2D trailers,they are being converted to two SBS red-cyan images which are way oversized...having a big headache too...:(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
try pot player from here:
DVB Support
download the latest stable normal version(not beta update or x64 version).it is created by the same person who created KMPlayer & later sold it to pandora.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Thanks,Whitestar_999! Downloading the latest stable version now.Will post here if I run into issues.

Nope,videos are still green and violet.Guess there is something wrong with color controls in my system.I also uninstalled K-lite codec pack,but still I am getting green and violet.Green=Green Skin and Violet=Violet Clothes....though one good news,3D effect is more noticeable....:)

Any other player?Or better still,how do I change colors in KmPlayer/Pot Player?The controls don't seem to have any effect.I am using both S/w and H/w controls...

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
If you are using anaglyph 3D then the output will always appear bluish red (depending on the glass you use) and you won't see real colors. For real color 3D, you need a 3DTV. For watching SBS and OU 3D movies you can use any player and your PC don't even need a 3d capable gpu. Just play the movie and switch the 3D mode to SBS/OU in your TV. For your current use with anaglyph glass, change the KM Player anaglyph type to match your glass > Right click KMPlayer > 3D Screen Controls > Select the output color like Red/Cyan.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
That is the default setting,na? Yes,I changed that to Video Player Settings .However,In advanced color settings ,there are two settings which are on default-Color Vibrance and Brighter Whites.I am using Catalyst 13.11 Beta8,btw .One thing I wanted to ask,(please forgive my ignorance :D )should the monitor's refresh rate be set to default setting (EDID Settings in Control Center,60Hz) ?I can increase/decrease it and afaik,120Hz is for games only?Also,the color profile I am using is not sRGB,but 6500K Color profile of my Monitor?Should I change that as well?

^^Above reply was for WhiteStar.

Baiju-I am using Red-Cyan Dubois (Default setting) .Switched to red-cyan full color/color but no change...:( I bought 3D glasses from two different companies and they both turned out to be the same,except for branding stickers...:(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
changing default refresh rate is not recommended unless you are are trying to match it to your playback videos.e.g.most PC videos are 23.976/23.978fps so some people use a refresh rate of 72Hz/48Hz as it is almost a simple multiple of these rates(23.976/23.978*3=71.9,*2=47.95).as for color profile i use windows default(which is sRGB) which automatically deactive AMD colour controls.this is a matter of personal opinion so go with whatever you see as better picture quality.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Ok,thanks for explaining it so well ... However,I too am using system defaults (I just checked) for color profiles,not the monitor's color profile .... But as far as I have understood (not much,I am afraid),it is a problem with KmPlayer...there is even a thread on their forum...KMPlayer displays green color when i play avi format - The KMPlayer's Forums solutions mentioned did not work for me,btw...Will try them (the solutions in that thread) again and will let you know if it works or not.:)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can confirm if its a problem with player or not by playing that file(non-3d) in vlc portable version.if it plays correctly then issue is with player else issue is with file.btw click on potplayer in title bar of potplayer & select various profiles/decoders to see if it helps.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
The file plays okay with VLC ... Will try the other solution you suggested.

EDIT: I tried a 3D video on Youtube.Same problem-Colors washed out,green skin and violet clothes. Looks like the problem is not KMplayer.:(

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just a guess but sometimes amd drivers also cause some video issues.try some older stable versions after completely uninstalling latest version(full/complete uninstall option).

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Ah,that is one thing I can't do.My GPU is an AMD R9 280X and these beta drivers are the only ones with R series support. :(
Yes,sorry for the late reply.I just checked,they are the only drivers available.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
Whitestar_999,Is Cyberlink software good?I had a trial version on my old PC,and it seemed okay,but I did get a lot of emails from Cyberlink when I was using it (not for 3D though).Should I search for it locally?Any online store you recommend,where I can get older versions?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if the problem is with amd drivers then it doesn't matter what software you use you will face the same problem.try with onboard graphics if you have one.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
WhiteStar_999,No onboard graphics...However I do have another card coming back from RMA...will try that and post here once it arrives...It is also an AMD card,but fortunately it can use WHQL drivers,so I can try older drivers as well..:)

Top Bottom