30K laptop / HP experiences?

shaunak

Tux Fan
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
30-32K

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Dislike: ACER, ASUS (people have told me of poor quality)

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Report typing, scientific software, simulation, presentation, Very large image editing (6K+pixels).
Occasional movie editing and watching 720p movies.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both. Portability is not such an issue. Im fairly used to of lugging stuff around. My camera bag is heavy, and i still lug it all day.

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Not likely. At the most some Age of Empires. Not into gaming.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
3-4 hours

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Either ways is fine. Was planning lamington road.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Need Win7. I plan to dual boot Fedora though.

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
No idea on this one.

NOTES:
~ I need an HDMI port and a VGA port
~ A Chicklit keyboard would be nice

I would prefer it if it comes with a Windows disk, or if a disc can be requested.
If it does not, can I install Windows from a standard torrent DVD and use my license key? Would that be illegal? Because I absolutely hate the crap-ware new laptops come with.

I was looking at this HP model: 1313AX - *h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03135742

PS: Since I dont need a really high end machine should I go cheap and get a 22-25k range one? Or should I be a little future proof with a better machine?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Is the model which you mentioned available in India? If yes, its best option for you.

Otherwise check this.

And yeah, obviously you'd benefit by using a future proof machine. If you don't need a high end machine, your work also doesn't deserves a low profile system. :)

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
@dashing.sujay - Its the exact same system. Am getting it at lamington road for 28k

@aroraanant - Thats one heck of a laptop for the price. My local dealer did not have it in stock. Will check lamington road this tuesday.

Just one little concern - a replacement battery for HP costs 2k ish while one for sony is 6k ish. Since a battery is a prime candidate for failure, it will be a big factor for me.

Thanks both of you :)

I am also looking at this one:
Asus K Series K53SC-SX196R Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

There is a i5 version for 35K but no OS. Your thoughts?

Prongs298

In the zone
get this - Asus X Series X53SC-SX187D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

this is the best possible laptop in the range. the guy in front of my room has one. the screen is as good as dell xps 15 768p one, gaming is as good as it gets on the 520m gt and the build quality is phenomenal for the price.

you can also try to get your hands on the hp probooks. the 4330 or 4530 or 5330. i might be wrong about the model no.s .

*www.flipkart.com/hp-probook-4430s-...BA--&ref=06096d7c-f728-4470-80d3-dfb50cd6d050

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^
@OP-Obviously if will get a i5 lappy then will be a lot of difference in the performance.
So if you can spare money then go for i5 another for basic use i3 is enought

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
@aroraant

I dont want to invest another 6K + on OS. Id rather get the Sony or the Asus with an OS.

My computing needs really dont call for an i5 as such, and I dont want to end up spending 40K.

Thanks for all the help. Il update on which one I purchase finally. :)

Deciding between:
*www.flipkart.com/asus-k-series-k53...bA--&ref=5f8e349a-4b72-4e94-bc3f-a7eb750a6533

*www.sony.co.in/product/vpceh26en

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Just instal a ****** OS on it ;)

MOD WARNING: Discussion of cracks is illegal according to forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
So what its not legal...
It is not such an big issue...
All my friend who have got Vista with their laptops are now on Windows 7, and do you they have purchased it?

It is obviously better to go have a original windows on your system but its not necessary.If one is getting a original one in his/her laptop from the manufacturer then its pretty good and if the person can afford it then also its fine but what if getting a better hardware in place of original OS or the person can't afford it,if I would be at your place then I would have gone for the better hardware...So now the choice is yours

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Actually you are... And it can probably get you kicked too.

TBH, so are my friends. Its not right, but then they dont understand anyways. But dont advocate it here. Say about an year ago i'd have given you a key for free. I had a few of them, all legal. Not now. But remember piracy is punishable by law and so advocating it is not a good idea. And you do have an MBP, hence the price argument doesnt hold for you anyways.

Enough of this discussion, this thread has gone gone off topic now.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Guys, I respect your opinion but I want a genuine OS. Call me crazy, but I simply do. The price of a genuine Win7 home basic OEM box is 4.6K and I will purchase it, even it it means stepping down on the lappy a little.

On-TOPIC:

I am very keen on getting the ASUS K53E [No OS] and buying a box of home basic. My only problem is that I cant make head or tail of the ASUS nomenclature. They have a million variants listed on flipkart but nothing on their company website.

For example the "Asus K Series X53SC-SX224D" has an I5 processor, (but is not mentioned on the website). And the "Asus K Series K53SC-SX196R" is I3 with windows bundled. My problem is that at lamington road, how do i specify the model number to the very last substring and be sure I am not being cheated.

Is there anyway to know which model pertains to i3 and which to i5. Which model has W7 bundled and which does not from the model numbers?

Prongs298

In the zone
Asus X Series X53SC-SX187D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

get this if your budget is still 30k and then install windows 8 or 7 in trial period or do an install of linus ultimate edition and then when you have money get oem windows.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Asus X Series X53SC-SX187D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

get this if your budget is still 30k and then install windows 8 or 7 in trial period or do an install of linus ultimate edition and then when you have money get oem windows.

I can extend a bit around. If the lappy costs 30k-32k il happily spend 5k on the OS.

I was looking at that one, but I wont buy from flipkart. Will go to the shops, and I need some way of identifying the model from the numbers.

I was also looking at this one: *www.flipkart.com/asus-k-series-k53...39TaNfY1GAcw--&icmpid=reco_pp_same_computer_2
Has a slightly bigger HDD and an OS

Last edited:

Prongs298

In the zone
yeah this one also seems to be good but i mentioned the previous asus laptop as i've seen it myself and it was as good if not better than my dv6.

Top Bottom