3.5 year old Dell Inspiron 1564 refusing to recognize power adapter

Chetan1991

Youngling
Hi all.
My 3.5 year old Inspiron 1564 has recently stopped recognizing its power adapter.

As you know Dell have used a cheap trick to sell more adapters; there is an identification chip in the adapter that communicates with the laptop through the central pin on the connector jack. Thus Dell laptops refuse to accept other brands' adapters even if their voltage and amperage spec.s are same, only running on the adapter and not charging the battery.

If I cannot remedy the problem soon the battery will be drained and the laptop will become a desktop replacement.
If anyone has prior experience and knows how to remedy the problem please post the solution.

Some Additional Information:

• According to SMART data the Hard disk has been up for 10,344 hours.
  • The power adapter is a replacement for the original one that blew up after 2.5 years. I got it from Dell store with warranty so its definitely genuine.
  • The battery has become pretty weak but still holds charge for about 30+ min.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i faced similar same situation & at that time flipkart was selling genuine dell adapter(slim 90w) for Rs.1200 so bought that.it is still available for almost same price so i strongly suggest buying it(or whatever your laptop supports).i took up too much time in buying though thus resulting in an almost dead battery which does not give even a second of backup(but still shows in system) so now using it by connecting to ups.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Is there a way to make sure its the adapter that's faulty? It could also be the laptop that's not recognizing a fully functioning adapter (though I hope not.)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
very unlikely.you can try connecting another dell adapter(make sure rated voltage rating is equal or lower than your current adapter) & if laptop recognizes it then nothing wrong with laptop.

Top Bottom