2ms Vs 5 ms Monitor

sniperz1

Journeyman
+1 to that...
And a +1 to the Dell U2412M suggested by [MENTION=285855]sniperz1[/MENTION]

I have another option to add if the budget allows.
Dell U2414H - USB 3.0 ports, HDMI ports , Display Ports, NO DVI / VGA ports, Very thin bezel. Good for dual or triple monitors

Dell U2412M - USB 2.0 ports, DVI, VGA ports, NO HDMI, A bit lower in looks as compared to U2414H

Check these reviews
Dell U2412M

Dell U2414H

ASUS PA248Q

pfx^

Broken In
I really liked both the BenQXL2411Z and ASUS VG248QE
both are really top notched monitors. I happen to like the other RL series too. Both are 3D compatible too. I guess you will like any of them.

OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman
I have another option to add if the budget allows.
Dell U2414H - USB 3.0 ports, HDMI ports , Display Ports, NO DVI / VGA ports, Very thin bezel. Good for dual or triple monitors

Dell U2412M - USB 2.0 ports, DVI, VGA ports, NO HDMI, A bit lower in looks as compared to U2414H

Check these reviews
Dell U2412M

Dell U2414H

ASUS PA248Q

Are the USB ports on the monitor able to play movies without CPU just like TVs?

sniperz1

Journeyman
Are the USB ports on the monitor able to play movies without CPU just like TVs?

No, not like TV. You will need to connect your monitor to CPU and then those USB ports will be usable.
Its beneficial for stuff like webcam, keyboard, mouse or speakers.

You don't have to reach to the back of your cpu to plug anything.

I ordered my 2414 today

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
A good response and fast refresh rate always gives good experience while gaming (ofc if you're an avid gamer ), else every monitor performs equally good at 5ms (g-g) and ghosting might occur in some games but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Remind1990

Broken In
Is it the same/similar to this:-
[YOUTUBE]I6wIMaYjklE[/YOUTUBE]
If yes then it's a big +1 to that because it has really nice color reproduction and decent viewing angles...........

Yes, the improved version! The XL-Z are really good competitors to the ASUS range of Gaming monitors too

- - - Updated - - -

A good response and fast refresh rate always gives good experience while gaming (ofc if you're an avid gamer ), else every monitor performs equally good at 5ms (g-g) and ghosting might occur in some games but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Yes true! But then again having a good response time would be a plus and a fast refresh rate would be good too.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
more than the response time , the important factor is the input latency. newer ips panels comes with 5ms response time with less latency infact. pay attention to what the actual user says rather than gimmic features.

sniperz1

Journeyman
more than the response time , the important factor is the input latency. newer ips panels comes with 5ms response time with less latency infact. pay attention to what the actual user says rather than gimmic features.

I agree. People have said that their accuracy in FPS games has been increased after using a better refresh rate monitors.
Any monitor with lag of less than 16ms will actually suffer from ~no ghosting issues.

Lag Classification

To help in this section we will also introduce a broader classification system for these results to help categorise each screen as one of the following levels:
Class 1) Less than 16ms / 1 frame lag - should be fine for gamers, even at high levels

Class 2) A lag of 16 - 32ms / One to two frames - moderate lag but should be fine for many gamers. Caution advised for serious gaming and FPS

Class 3) A lag of more than 32ms / more than 2 frames - Some noticeable lag in daily usage, not suitable for high end gaming

I couldn't find a review of XL2411Z but check out this
*www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_xl2720z/lag.png

Source : BenQ XL2720Z Review

My dell u2414h which has response time of 8ms comes in class 1 whereas XL2411Z with response time of 1ms also comes in class 1.

But dell u2414h has only 60hz refresh rate while benq xl2411z has 144hz which is a massive difference.
For pro gaming enthusiasts Xl 2411Z is of choice but for avg gaming any 60hz monitor will do.

Higher refresh rates comes in TN panels which have a washed out look. Just compare the youtube videos. Visible difference.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I never thought these refresh rates would matter until I bought the U2412M, which replaced my TN panel Dell SP2208WFP which had 2 ms response time. But the thing is I'm not noticing anything in gaming, I mainly play FPS games like Crysis, COD, BF and kinds and also Watch Dogs etc, but I even played NFS Rival on it to see the difference, but I didn't notice any, I'm sure it's there, but it's just not visible enough to my eyes, if at all.

But what bothers me most is when I scroll down on an webpage filled with heavy texts, the texts and the lines always leave a ghosting, and it looks awful to my eyes.

sniperz1

Journeyman
I never thought these refresh rates would matter until I bought the U2412M, which replaced my TN panel Dell SP2208WFP which had 2 ms response time. But the thing is I'm not noticing anything in gaming, I mainly play FPS games like Crysis, COD, BF and kinds and also Watch Dogs etc, but I even played NFS Rival on it to see the difference, but I didn't notice any, I'm sure it's there, but it's just not visible enough to my eyes, if at all.

But what bothers me most is when I scroll down on an webpage filled with heavy texts, the texts and the lines always leave a ghosting, and it looks awful to my eyes.
You are not noticing any difference cause there actually isn't any. And you are confusing between response time and refresh rate.
Response time decides the input lag, ghosting issues, etc
Refresh rate decides number of frames per second.

Both U2412M and SP2208WFP has same refresh rate i.e 60 Hz so no difference in FPS
but U2412M response time = 5ms
whereas SP2208WFP response time = 2ms
technically they are both classified under Class 1 as I have explained in previous post anything <16ms is class 1 which means Less than 16ms / 1 frame lag - should be fine for gamers, even at high levels. So in FPS games you won't notice any difference.
But yeah when you scroll some heavy text filled webpage then it might lead to some visible disturbances , but is it actually a deal breaker?I guess not.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
No no, it's not a deal breaker at all. I don't like the monitor, that's a different story altogether.

PS : No, I did get confuse between response time and something else, I was pretty clear about refresh rate though. More or less all the monitors come with 60 Hz, so that's not the big deal here. When I said I didn't notice anything in games I meant that I didn't notice any ghosting, but as I said ghosting was quite clearly noticeable while webpages were being scrolled.

Last edited:

sniperz1

Journeyman
No no, it's not a deal breaker at all. I don't like the monitor, that's a different story altogether.

PS : No, I did get confuse between response time and something else, I was pretty clear about refresh rate though. More or less all the monitors come with 60 Hz, so that's not the big deal here. When I said I didn't notice anything in games I meant that I didn't notice any ghosting, but as I said ghosting was quite clearly noticeable while webpages were being scrolled.

Alright.
Initially I also wanted to buy U2412M but then I purchased U2414H cause of some reasons.

But I think one should buy a IPS panel if requirements are like
- avg gaming
- better colour accuracy
- Multimedia purpose

But if someone wants an exclusive gaming monitor then he should go for a higher refresh rate monitors. And it will be a better gaming experience. There are plenty of high refresh rate monitors available now in market. This is one the recent ones launched in India XL2411Z LED Gaming Monitor | BenQ 16:9 LED Gaming monitors

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah, I've seen that monitor and it's review on prad, but I'm still unsure if human eyes can differentiate between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

My main purpose is gaming definitely, then watching movies, but for both these purposes I am not liking it. As usual, the colours are good, all natural and all, but it's dull, and it's meaningless to have dull colours for both of these purposes. I should have gone for the Samsung VA I was thinking about getting. The main reason behind getting the U2412 was it's resolution, other than Asus PB24 it was the only monitor at 1200p. I called SMC too as soon as I saw the U2414H flashing on their site and they said it's available too, but then again it was 1080p.

Whatever, I'm not really happy with my purchasing decision of U2412M. I'll change my monitor in 2016/17, and probably will get a 1440p, but I'm not sure I'll stick with IPS again.

Last edited:

sniperz1

Journeyman
Yeah, I've seen that monitor and it's review on prad, but I'm still unsure if human eyes can differentiate between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

My main purpose is gaming definitely, then watching movies, but for both these purposes I am not liking it. As usual, the colours are good, all natural and all, but it's dull, and it's meaningless to have dull colours for both of these purposes. I should have gone for the Samsung VA I was thinking about getting. The main reason behind getting the U2412 was it's resolution, other than Asus PB24 it was the only monitor at 1200p. I called SMC too as soon as I saw the U2414H flashing on their site and they said it's available too, but then again it was 1080p.

Whatever, I'm not really happy with my purchasing decision of U2412M. I'll change my monitor in 2016/17, and probably will get a 1440p, but I'm not sure I'll stick with IPS again.

Thats a myth where people say they can't differentiate anything more than 60fps.
If you are more into gaming then you should definitely look for a 120+ Hz monitor next time. There will be a visible difference and your gaming performance will improve as compared to gaming at 60fps.

Check out reviews on youtube of monitors with higher refresh rate like Benq xl2411z or Asus Vg248qe

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Will do mate. Is there any VA panel 120 Hz monitor?

Actually I saw that testing of Linus tech on YouTube, that guy who was playing BF3 (or 4) on two monitors and then Linus asked him to write which monitor did he feel was the 120 Hz and which one was 60 Hz and that guy was right just on one occasion. That made me believe that humans won't be able to differentiate between them.

PS : Another reason I skipped the 120 Hz monitors was my GPU, I don't really think a GTX580 will be more than enough to drive a 120 Hz. I'll eye a 780 next year though.

sniperz1

Journeyman
Will do mate. Is there any VA panel 120 Hz monitor?

Actually I saw that testing of Linus tech on YouTube, that guy who was playing BF3 (or 4) on two monitors and then Linus asked him to write which monitor did he feel was the 120 Hz and which one was 60 Hz and that guy was right just on one occasion. That made me believe that humans won't be able to differentiate between them.

PS : Another reason I skipped the 120 Hz monitors was my GPU, I don't really think a GTX580 will be more than enough to drive a 120 Hz. I'll eye a 780 next year though.

There are not many 120hz + models released in India. Almost all are TN panels. But by next year I am sure there will be plenty in the market. Yeah you will need a strong enough gpu for gaming at 100+ hz at fhd settings.

Top Bottom