2014 Spells End of Windows Phone 7.8 and 8 Support

Flash

Lost in speed
The recently released Windows Phone 8 has an expiration date stamped on it, as well as the Windows Phone 7.8. A support page has been added to Microsoft's website that states that the Windows 8 Phone will no longer be receiving any support from Microsoft after July 8, 2014, while the Windows Phone 7.8 will survive a bit longer to September 9, 2014.

*media.bestofmicro.com/windows-phone-8,I-G-377800-13.jpg

Windows Phone 7.8 was released to enable the older Windows Phone 7 hardware to acquire some of the features of the new Windows Phone 8. As Microsoft was so eager to allow its older phone model to remain in circulation,
one has to wonder what Microsoft is doing by releasing end of support dates so soon, especially as it could have a negative impact on the support and dedication from developers.

On the bright side, Microsoft had already confirmed in February that large updates are on their way for Windows Phone 8, while a leaked Nokia document suggested that there might still be updates coming for the Phone 7 as well. The end of support dates can therefore assure users that, while their products may outlive their expiration dates, there could be a stream of regular updates to come in the meantime.

Microsoft has also issued a statement, which was published by The Seattle Times blog, clarifying that Windows Phone 8 users will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it comes out. The company said:

"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."

The WindowsPhone twitter handle also tweeted that Windows Phone 8 was upgradeable due to its Windows core.

As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable.
-- Windows Phone (@windowsphone) March 18, 2013​

2014 Spells End of Windows Phone 7.8 and 8 Support

WTH! With people expecting Lumia 520/720 next month, will this really change the buyer's decision?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
i dont get it...the windows phone 8 expiry is there...but not wp8.1 or wp 8.5 ....sooo whats the issue here :D

WP7.8 is upgrade of wp7.5 soo maybe wp7.5 is expired now and wp7.8 will expire in oct 2014...what difference does it make??

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Gearbox, you got it all wrong. All WP8 devices are getting the next update be it 8.5 or 9. And then the support cycle of 18 months starts all over again.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The WP7.5 fiasco was not exactly because of hardware, its just MS being too lazy (not seeing it worth the effort) to port the new kernel and the associated drivers to older hardware. Anyways, this essentially means that any WP8 device is more than set for a solid 2 year update cycle, the flagships perhaps even more. Thats very good news IMO :)

sukesh1090

Adam young
this is same as android,you can update win8 to its next successor but the problem will be with the hardware.if i guess it correctly the phones may be able to get most probably one update after that their hardware will bottleneck the OS.

Top Bottom