2.5 Inch vs 3.5 Inch HDD

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What is the difference between the two size of Hard disks ? I am buying a new PC and due to outrageous prices for HDD, i have been thinking of using the HDD of my laptop.. Is it possible to use it with my pc ? I mean internally , not by using a USB bracket..

Also, i believe it is a 5400 RPM.. will there be a huge performance hit for games ? like skyrim and BF3 ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
With your PC, you can't use 2.5" HDD without a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter.
2.5" HDDs are meant for laptop.

But if you are talking about SSD, then they are only available in 2.5: form.

OP
Nerevarine

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Are u sure ? Because I have seen PC's with the hard disks mounted where the floppy drive is supposed to be.. I believe 3.5 inches go to the DVD rw slot ?
Even if I use a 2.5 inch hdd. Will there be a performance hit in games

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as long as your hdd has the standard connector size doesn't matter since it is simply a matter of connecting wires(some slimline sata drives uses a slightly different connector than standard sata).as for games usually 2.5" drives are 5400rpm while 3.5" drives are usually 7200rpm so game loading will be slower in 2.5" drives(by how much varies from a couple of seconds to around a minute depending on game).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
only difference will be in initial loading of game.fps depends only on cpu/gpu.all sata drives are backward compatible so yes you can use a sata 6gbps on sata 3gbps port.in fact it is just a marketing gimmick with no practical advantage because conventional mechanical drives can hardly reach even 1.5gbps(sata1).only ssd can fully utilize speeds of sata2(3gbps) & sata3(6gbps).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
using a laptop HDD (2.5") is not a good idea...will have slow performance & FPS issues.
use it for backup files instead.

Top Bottom