1st Nokia and 5th sony ericsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coool

I'm Back!:D
The end of 2008 saw a major shift in the global GSM market. The Korean manufacturer LG managed to go ahead of both Sony Ericsson and Motorola and secured a third position globally in terms of sold units.

The lot is still led by Nokia and Samsung, who are yet to announce their 2008 results in several days.

LG have managed to sell 100 million handsets which is just 0.1 million more than the previous number three - Motorola.

Sony Ericsson who also were ahead of this pack for a short while have dropped to a fifth position with 96.6 million units sold for the past year. Furthermore, the financial results published by Sony Ericsson last week have caused some serious doubt for the company future.

Motorola's future also seems quite uncertain as rumor has it that the crisis hasn't been overcome.

So in what has certainly been a tough year for all manufacturers LG and Samsung seem to be the ones to have most reasons to cheer. Samsung have steadily established their number two spot in the global market by shipping 200 million units in 2008, according to the LG estimates.

While the difference between the thrid, fourth and fifth place is not that big in terms of sales volume, Nokia have outdone all by a wide margin, selling 470 million units (again by estimates made by LG) throughout the year.

However the last two quarters of 2008 haven't been too merciful on Nokia profits too so it is not quite sure if the year should be counted as a successful one. We will see about that tomorrow when the Finnish manufacturer announces its financial results.

*www.gsmarena.com/lg_sells_100_million_handsets_in_2008_ranks_3rd_globally-news-744.php

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Nokia is making small multimedia computers while Sony Ericsson & LG make cute toys. I have to say, despite of using a Nokia N79, I like the design of W910i better

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung were to garner the most market share over the past year. They overtook Nokia late last year in the highly competitive U.K. market.

fireshots

Machinehead..
cute toys only for small kids & girls:D......that's why sony ericsson at 5th.
Agreed toys r kids n SE is at 5th pos. But even the nokia ppl can deny the fact they make phone with the most duck all music player n camera quality. I love nokia's phones for symbian. that's da soul of it. But SE's quality beats any phone in market. It's just there management ppl have there facts wrong, they blv makin expensv handsets will make 'em number one, this is whr they suck n nokia rocks. NOkia has its finger on people's pulse, whereas SE corporate ppl's finger is in ahem..u kno where.

Agreed toys r kids n SE is at 5th pos. But even nokia ppl cant deny the fact that they make phones with the most duck all music player n camera quality. I love nokia's phones for symbian, that's da soul of it. But SE's quality beats any phone in market. It's just there management ppl have there facts wrong, they blv makin expensv handsets will make 'em number one, this is whr they suck n nokia rocks. NOkia has its finger on people's pulse, whereas SE corporate ppl's finger is in ahem..u kno where.

Agreed toys r for kids n SE is at 5th pos. But even nokia ppl cant deny the fact that they make phones with the most duck all music player n camera quality. I love nokia's phones for symbian, that's da soul of it. But SE's quality beats any phone in market. It's just there management ppl have there facts wrong, they blv makin expensv handsets will make 'em number one, this is whr they suck n nokia rocks. NOkia has its finger on people's pulse, whereas SE corporate ppl's finger is in ahem..u kno where.

sorry ppl, for my stupid mistake of postin same note thrice.

Last edited:
OP
Coool

Coool

I'm Back!:D
^^no....its korean news paper report.
Read this:
*www.phonearena.com/htmls/Report-places-LG-as-the-number-3-handset-manufacturer-article-a_3829.html

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Nokia's market share fell from 40% to 37%. SE's market share fell because they are concentrating too much on phones in the price range 13k-17k and neglecting the entry level and lower midrange market. And Nokia and Samsung have better phones in 17k segment.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
That is because Nokia makes phones according to the location and people. They know how to get into the market and seperate themselves from the pack.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Nokia rocks!! Though I do like SE, it's the VFM that counts. With a budget of Rs. 5k, I wanted to buy an SE. The dealer showed few handsets. If had bluetooth, it didn't have the capability of adding a memory card or vice versa. So, bought a 3110C. Camera sucks in low light, but very happy with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom