15 things Apple should learn from Vista for leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Found this on neowin...good discussion going there

*www.computerworld.com/action/artic...eBasic&articleId=9006104&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Well....indeed correct, I didn't know that dashboard is something which only comes when pressing the Function key, i thought like Sidebar or Yahoo widgets engine, widget can be placed on the dektop too

didn't even know, that it doesn't even shows date on the desktop or taskbar, & u have to opem iCal for it....what have been apple thinking

Enter key renames a file:confused: , isn't it is made to open it. It doesn't even support the F2 function key command

Resizing window is possible only through lower right side, gr8:confused:

It's also more inconsistent then Vista Aero or Windows XP, the most consistent is indeed Linux too date....all apps look the same, same icon & same theme, not in this case, where the UI is application based. On Windows the UI is same, though the icons can be application specific

Mac don't have Cut (ctrl+X) in finder.:confused: gr8, this is a basic thing, now don't say u like to drag & drop many files in a folder, which are not even fitting on the same finder window.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

gxsaurav

where is the sleep emoticon? fatbeing, can we have yahoo messenger like emoticons here

Last edited by a moderator:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
Found this on neowin...good discussion going there

*www.computerworld.com/action/artic...eBasic&articleId=9006104&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Well....indeed correct, I didn't know that dashboard is something which only comes when pressing the Function key, i thought like Sidebar or Yahoo widgets engine, widget can be placed on the dektop too

Widgets do appear on the desktop. Here is the proof.

*img457.imageshack.us/img457/592/picture58ws3.th.jpg

Anyways, if you want widgets on the desktop, you either need to minimize all windows to access them, or dedicate a part of the screen to them. In the first case, accessing widgets becomes difficult, and in the second case, precious screen real estate is lost. Dashboard is a concept that places all widgets on a virtual layer on top of the normal UI layer. That makes it a easy to access and a easy to modify concept. Anyways, it is accessed by a keystroke. I can challenge that it takes lesser time to access than a widget on the desktop, with 3-4 windows open.

*img98.imageshack.us/img98/5702/picture59rn1.th.jpg

didn't even know, that it doesn't even shows date on the desktop or taskbar, & u have to opem iCal for it....what have been apple thinking

Great example of selective reading. You, obviously, missed the part about the Windows date, didn't you? I am disappointed with the attitude of people, who go to any depths to prove their point. BTW, the point about iCal was extremely funny. Just proves my point. :D

Anyways, here is your 'date', both on the taskbar(ugh!, menu bar) and as a separate window. Even in Windows, the date is shown as a 'tool tip'.

*img290.imageshack.us/img290/2217/picture60ly7.th.jpg

*img183.imageshack.us/img183/6585/picture61gw7.th.jpg

Enter key renames a file:confused: , isn't it is made to open it. It doesn't even support the F2 function key command

What F2 does in Windows has got nothing to do with OS X. Please go check your facts on this, and then post. Unless, you actually go and try a Mac, you can't comment upon this, as you don't know how files are renamed.

Resizing window is possible only through lower right side, gr8:confused:

Wrong again. OS X adjusts windows automatically according to the size of the page/movie etc. Just press the little maximise button and the window resizes according to the width/height of the page. Full Screen windows are not an OS X concept, and thankfully, they never will be. However, you can make a window full screen, but that will be wasting screen space, un-necessarily.

It's also more inconsistent then Vista Aero or Windows XP, the most consistent is indeed Linux too date....all apps look the same, same icon & same theme, not in this case, where the UI is application based.

It's not application based. Apple offers all UIs to the developers in Xcode. The combination of brushed metal and aqua is very good, and is pleasing to the eyes. I can't imagine an all aqua or an all brushed UI. Though, an all Unified interface would look good. But, again, stop nitpicking on something that you do not know about.

Mac don't have Cut (ctrl+X) in finder.:confused: gr8, this is a basic thing, now don't say u like to drag & drop many files in a folder, which are not even fitting on the same finder window.

That is because of features like spring loaded folders and auto scrolling. Certainly, I have never felt the lack of the Cut option because of these features. Drag n Drop is the way to go on OS X. Go search on google for spring loaded folders and auto scrolling.

Oh, by the way, off-topic posts have been deleted. Any more off-topic posts will lead to a nice li'l Christmas break from Digit forums.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
This guy. Desperately (Read: Desperately) trying to prove that windows is indeed better than Mac OS. How the kcuf can someone actually think such an insane thought is beyond me. I've given up arguing cause one cannot really argue with gibberish. Anyway, here's my last mac vs windows post.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
@saurav and andy, there was a really long discussion in this post about Mac and Windows. Finally the mods had to lock the thread.

Do you really want to go there again?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
drvarunmehta said:
Do you really want to go there again?

I think I replied to the posts in the most respectful manner, stating facts and clearing doubts. It's difficult to gauge the tone of a person from his posts. Some people say my posts are 'rude', but that's because I don't use emoticons or exclamation marks after each sentence. No one can be 'rude', till he/she posts facts.

But, I don't see any harm in a discussion, till it stays on topic. I think you will agree that I have stated facts and stayed on topic, replying to comments by the original poster of the thread in the best possible manner, and staying within my limits(vocabulary).

OP
G

gxsaurav

I found something. i posted it. No intention for a fight, or i would have posted it in fight club

andy, thanx for the proper post (atleast once). Still i don't find why enter renames a file, then what does F2 does

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, then you should just have pointed us to the article - which I had already read - and refrained from posting your permanently misjudged personal opinion along with it.

Anand has already cleared most points, but he did not give the article credit where it is due. So I am posting my own viewpoint.

I'll tackle gxsaurav's post pointwise:
1. I disbled the sidebar in Windows Vista, even though I like to use widgets (gadgets), because it takes precious screen real estate. What is the point of having widgets on the desktop? As mail2and correctly mentioned, it takes more time to access a widget on the desktop than in the Dashboard. You just hit F12 (or slide your mouse to the corner of the screen) and it zooms in smoothly (in classy Apple fashion) onto the screen. Just do your stuff, click anywhere onto the screen and it clears away. I wouldn't have it any other way.
That said, having the additional option to drag the widgets onto the desktop won't hurt. But the Windows way is definitely the worst implementation ever.

2. For the second point, well - that article was written in pretty simple english. I don't know why gxsaurav did not understand it. You DO NOT need to open iCal to know the date. Refer to mail2and's third screenshot. I dare say it is again much better than how Windows displays the date because (a) you have to wait with your cursor over the time display; and (b) tool tips have this irritating habit of appearing under the taskbar sometimes.
iCal, the calendaring application in Mac OS X, sports a dynamic icon that reflects the current date on its icon whenever the software is running. It suffers from a tiny flaw though. For some reason best known to Apple, the icon displays the date 'Jul, 17' when the application is not running. This can be slightly misleading on 364 days of the year. But given that Windows XP does not have a calendaring application and the one in Vista does not have a dynamic icon at all, it's hardly something Windows users can complain about.

3. 'F2' renames a file in Windows and the 'Enter' key does so on a Mac. What is the problem with that! Who are you to instruct Apple what their keyboard shortcuts should be? The 'F2' key is used for other purposes.

4. This is a genuine flaw. The Windows' method of re-sizing windows is superior to Mac OS X's. Anand, the full screen and fit-to-content approach does not have anything to do with how the operating system allows you to resize windows. Sometimes it happens that you want the width of a window to stay exactly as it is and just want to re-size the height. You can do it on Windows and not on a Mac.

5. "the most consistent is indeed Linux too date....all apps look the same, same icon & same theme" And this sounds better to you! :eek:
What a drab interface that would be! The Genius of Apple's User Interface Themes is that they are all different and easily recognisable. I think having varied interfaces for different applications makes multi-tasking much more efficient. Follow the link for a detailed explanation.

6. You know what, I only realised that the 'Cut' shortcut is disabled in the Finder when I read that article and I have been using a Mac since four months. This just proves that it is essentially a non-required feature. But as was the case with not being able to drag widgets onto the desktop, providing some added functionality as an option wouldn't hurt.

This was the second paragraph of the article:
Even though it's been out for more than 18 months now, Mac OS X 10.4, or Tiger, is a noticeably better operating system than XP or Vista. But it's not perfect. OS X has its own quirks and flaws, little irritants made all the more irritating by the fact that they come out of Cupertino, which should know better. There are some things about the way it works that aren't as flexible, usable or convenient as Windows.
Even before starting the article, the posters have stated a clear disclaimer that they do not intend to compare Mac to Windows and that Tiger is much better than XP or Vista. In fact, they are slightly disappointed by the flaws because "they come out of Cupertino, which should know better" - because anything less than perfect is not good enough by Apple's standards.

I do not know why you are comparing Windows to Mac based on that article when the authors themselves do not intend to.

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
mail2and said:
I think I replied to the posts in the most respectful manner, stating facts and clearing doubts. It's difficult to gauge the tone of a person from his posts. Some people say my posts are 'rude', but that's because I don't use emoticons or exclamation marks after each sentence. No one can be 'rude', till he/she posts facts.
Didn't mean to imply that you were rude. Even I need to start using emoticons more.:D:eek::)

mail2and said:
But, I don't see any harm in a discussion, till it stays on topic. I think you will agree that I have stated facts and stayed on topic, replying to comments by the original poster of the thread in the best possible manner, and staying within my limits(vocabulary).
"till it stays on topic" Those are the key words.:D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And since gxsaurav is quite excited about the little flaws in Mac OS X, have a look at these screenshots:

*img296.imageshack.us/img296/9999/picture3db7.th.png

The 'OmniWeb-5.5.2-beta-3-English copy.dmg' icon on the bottom right is actually a download in progress and blue progress bar on the left dynamically updates as the file is downloaded. When the download is complete, it changes to the file's original icon. Can you say the same about Windows?

*img178.imageshack.us/img178/5269/picture2uv1.th.png

And this is iChat. Ever seen anything quite so cool! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom