15.6 inch laptop suggestion for 50 to 60k budget

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
1) What is your budget? 60k INR (Max)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Size: 15.6 inch
Weight: Would like under 2 KG. Anything up to 2.4 or 2.5 KG would do fine.

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Like: HP, Dell, Sony Vaio
Dis-like: Asus, Fujitsu, Toshiba (Don't like them due to bad ASS, reliability and heating issues)
Not-sure: Samsung (Heard of a lot of heating issues. Also right now it does not have the brand presence like other models)

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Will sell my desktop and use this laptop from now on. Main tasks: heavy browsing, movies, occasional Programming, light office work, occasional light gaming (casual gamer. Even low resolution would do)

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
1366x768. Anything bigger than this would be really great.
Would prefer matte finish. Glossy finish is also fine.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Battery backup is very important (Need around 5 hours backup).
Weight is also important. Do not want a laptop that weighs more than 2.5 KG.
Audio quality is also important, but not really essential (Something like Beats Audio as in HP models would be great)

ujjwal007

Lost in games
you can look for samsung NP550P5C-S02IN @ 57K it gives 5 hours battery backup resolution is great 1600x900 and most imp. awesome sound JBL rocks! if you dont want to game much then go for it blindly ~ normal temps are 45-55 i use to use it on bed for hours doing surfing movies, songs and downloading temp never cross 50 in light usage weight is also good around 2.4 kg looks are awesome you will be surprised when you listen the sound of it i7 processor, 1 TB space , 8 gb ram , blu-ray drive just awesome ASS is also good :)

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@ujjwal007: Is this the model you are talking about: Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S02IN 3rd Gen Ci7/8GB/1TB/2GB Graphics/Win 7 HP (Silver)?

Flipkart says that the battery backup is 3 hours. But as others suggested in my other thread, Flipkart battery backup values cannot be blindly trusted.

1) You said you get an average backup of 5 hours. May I know under what kind of usage you're getting 5 hours?
If I get battery backup of more than 4 hours for movies at home, it is good enough for me. Sometimes I have to wait for 5 to 8 hours during transit. What kind of backup can I expect for normal browsing using Wi-Fi in airports?

2) How is the Wi-Fi receiver? I have seen some laptops with weak Wi-Fi receivers. Few times my HTC Sensation could pick up Wi-Fi signals where as Dell latitude laptop couldn't pick up the signal.

3) Does it have a slot for having 2nd HDD? I might plan to use a SSD in the future if it helps improve the performance. Can you please comment on whether adding a SSD is required since it already has Core i7 with 8GB RAM?

4) Many complain that 5400 RPM for HDD is very slow for Samsung laptops (in Flipkart reviews). I see that many are shipped with 5400 RPM HDDs. Have you noticed any such problems?

5) I have seen many complain about high temperature on this laptop. My main use will be heavy browsing via Wi-Fi and movies. Will I see such spikes in temperature? Many are using cooling pads for this model. Is it manageable without one?

6) Few reviews say it has backlit keyboard. Few say otherwise. Please clarify.

7) Which one among the two I should go for?
NP550P5C-S01IN -> 53k as per Samsung site.
NP550P5C-S02IN -> 63k as per Samsung site.

The first is 10k cheaper with i5 processor (which gen?), 2GB less RAM, DVD drive instead of Bluray drive. Everything else is the same? Is this not enough for my usage since it also costs 10k less?

8) And lastly, one silly question: silver or black?:lol: Which one are you using? I know color preferences are subjective, but maintenance and looks wise I feel silver color is more manageable. Is that right?

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
go for the samsung one suggested, they are best VFM multimedia laptops available in the market, and before getting one, just play any song on the JBL speaker with 3d surround depth. your mind will blow out after listening to it.

and let me tell you, though ASUS doesn't have best ASS, they are known to be best reliable laptops in market, and they have amazing cooling structure. so edit your post and remove that ASUS heating thing.

and i have I5 version of Samung laptop and while browsing it stays at 51C throughout the day.

i have never seen such a strong WIFI receiver in my life, never had any disconnections issues.

i get 4 hours of battery back up on 80% charging with WIFI on, brightness set to minimum.

i think you should go for silver, looks elegant and sleek like an ULTRABOOK.

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
and i have I5 version of Samung laptop and while browsing it stays at 51C throughout the day.

Is 51C good or bad? Sorry I can't recognize whether it is good, average or bad by looking at that number.

Is i5 model good enough for my use?

And how is HP DV6 compared to this Samsung model?

dexbg

Journeyman
@ujjwal007: Is this the model you are talking about: Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S02IN 3rd Gen Ci7/8GB/1TB/2GB Graphics/Win 7 HP (Silver)?

Flipkart says that the battery backup is 3 hours. But as others suggested in my other thread, Flipkart battery backup values cannot be blindly trusted.

1) You said you get an average backup of 5 hours. May I know under what kind of usage you're getting 5 hours?
If I get battery backup of more than 4 hours for movies at home, it is good enough for me. Sometimes I have to wait for 5 to 8 hours during transit. What kind of backup can I expect for normal browsing using Wi-Fi in airports?

5 hours on Battery Balanced Mode + Mid level brighnesss with Wifi + movies.

2) How is the Wi-Fi receiver? I have seen some laptops with weak Wi-Fi receivers. Few times my HTC Sensation could pick up Wi-Fi signals where as Dell latitude laptop couldn't pick up the signal.
Nothing special here.. my Wifi AP is pretty close so never felt any issues. Connects pretty quickly though.

3) Does it have a slot for having 2nd HDD? I might plan to use a SSD in the future if it helps improve the performance. Can you please comment on whether adding a SSD is required since it already has Core i7 with 8GB RAM?
Nopes .. 15.6" chassis dont have a 2nd HDD SLOT.

4) Many complain that 5400 RPM for HDD is very slow for Samsung laptops (in Flipkart reviews). I see that many are shipped with 5400 RPM HDDs. Have you noticed any such problems?
Most laptops have 5400 rpm HDD its something you cant avoid .. No problems or slowness noticed.

5) I have seen many complain about high temperature on this laptop. My main use will be heavy browsing via Wi-Fi and movies. Will I see such spikes in temperature? Many are using cooling pads for this model. Is it manageable without one?
High tempertaure is only when you play heavy games at high settings .. for normal usage Laptop remains cool. No need of Cooler for normal usage.

No BACKLIGHT in either model , sorry

Street price should be 50k & 58k repectively.
Get the i7 if you have the budget. Better peace of mind.

The first is 10k cheaper with i5 processor (which gen?), 2GB less RAM, DVD drive instead of Bluray drive. Everything else is the same? Is this not enough for my usage since it also costs 10k less?
I opted for the i5 version and invested the saved money on accessories.

8) And lastly, one silly question: silver or black?:lol: Which one are you using? I know color preferences are subjective, but maintenance and looks wise I feel silver color is more manageable. Is that right?
There is only one color .. AFAIK. the dark silver one.

Answers .. (....)

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Can you guys please recommend any HP or Dell models? I would like to stay away from Samsung models for laptops.

XtremePhoenix

Right off the assembly line
I too have a similar question, hence putting it in this thread itself...
I am in search for a laptop around INR 70K. Primary activity will be gaming. My requirements are: 1> Intel i5, 2> Backlit Keyboard 3> 15+ inch screen, 4> 2GB Dedicated Graphics DX11 5> Full HD (can be compromised on this). I will have a separate speaker system so sound quality is not a issue.
I am also in photograph editing, hence colour representation should be good on the screens and the touchpad response should be great.

Please suggest.

ujjwal007

Lost in games

1. I got 4 hours in 80% battery with playing video songs on background and doing surfing facebook, tdf forum etc so with 100% battery i will definetely got 5 hours one of my friend getting 5.5 hours with 100% battery same surfing and songs playback on minimum brightness. FLIPKART ARE CRAP they putted 3 hours backup on nearly every laptop which is not true.
2. wifi receiver is very good for me can easily catch up my wifi and run flawlessly! it catch my neighbour wifi too even.
3. NO it does not have a 2 HDD but you can remove the hdd and add the ssd into it one owner did it in this laptop i dont think it requires adding a SSD for me its already very fast!! but you can do so in future no issues.
4. this is not the problem in my case its not slow in anycase can do 15 gb in couples of minutes who told you 5400 RPM is very slow? its not bad.
5. You have to worry about temp only if your planning to do heavy gaming on it but your casual gamer so no issue with you i bet. normal temps are just wonderful beleive me dude you cant feel any heat beyond 65 its totally cool right now its 47. in browsing and movies this laptop remains cool :) i tested it watched fantastic 4 movie temps were 56 max. and normal are 50. i use to surf all day sometimes and even i use it on my bed...nearly blocked my vent still its 50 around.
6. NO it does not have backlit keyboard if you want backlit choose dell inspiron 15r se it is very good too because you dont want to game but this laptop have far more better speakers then 15r se.
7. you should go for NP550P5C-S02IN - TECH SPECS | SAMSUNG India because your getting blu-ray and 2gb more ram and i7 processor it will be available for 57-59k in local market/dealers. and both are 3rd gen.
but its your choice again...u can go with i5 version too! but no blu-ray and i7 then.
definetely go for silver :D it shines a lot looks are like a ULTRABOOK. AND light weight too!! just awesome :D :D :D i got a solution to control temps. in heavy gaming so i dont have any single issues with it :D REALLY HAPPY! it doesnt matter silver or black you have to keep clean both lol.

ratul

█████████████████
I just want to clarify that 5400rpm is definitely a bottleneck for i7, as i am a power user, and facing some serious bottlenecks in disk intensive apps, running virtual windows, and sometimes disk usage reaches 100%, thus hanging the system till it's normal again, same with the case while compressing/decompressing, copying heavy files etc, you won't be able to multitask then, though CPU never crosses 10% in these operations..
Better take SSD for faster operations, if you want to unleash true i7 potential.. :wink:

Rest i would too recommend Samsung for it's awesome speakers and Blu-Ray, as you are not a heavy gamer..
DELL for FHD (movies looks awesome on FHD), and a ok'ish sounding Skullcandy speakers..
Remember FHD will give you more for everything, more browsing space, more programming space, better movie quality...
For you, i5 would do, you can spend extra cash on SSD, so choose from Samsung S01, or DELL Inspiron 15r i5..

Last edited:
OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
BTW how is this model? HP Pavilion M6-1005tx Laptop
Read this review: LINK. Here they say that HP has promised 8 hours of battery life for this model. If that is true, then 6 hours can be easily achieved for my usage, which I feel is pretty good.

What do you guys think about this model? I would like to stay away from Samsung 550P when there are other models available for almost the same price for my usage. In Dell there are not many options since many say that Inspiron laptops look cheap and plasticky.

Any other HP models which I can look into?

Top Bottom