12v dc (smps) to 15v 12A dc converter or 220v ac suply to 15v 12A dc adapter

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
Hey there,
i have bought 2 tec-12706 peltier cooling module to use in a cooling project
previously i thought that i will use them with smps 12v rail but after some experiment i found that they are consuming 2.5A and 3A at 12v means much lower than their rated 6A ( tec12706 ) and thus cooling effect is very low than expected ( 30w instead of 92w )
i found that they will need 15v to run at full performance

Q. so i want to know that is there any cheap (under Rs1000) way to convert 12v dc of a computer smps ( with 36A capacity on 12v ) to 15v dc with atleast 12A, some kind of VRM circuit which i can make by self or can buy from market.
( i don't have knowledge of IC's or transistors, though i have practical knowledge about diode resistor capacitor transformer and simple things things like that )

Q. or if not then is there any adapter which can give 15v with 12A out under Rs1500. Something like universal laptop adapter (but i don't know how they adjust voltage output, will it be able handle 24x7 runtime in summer, and is there any available in my budget)

buying transformer isn't an option i think because they will be heavy, take more place, and will be very less efficient than adapter and smps

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
anyone with any idea to make convertor

or atleast someone with experience of universal laptop adapter can tell me how i will be able to get 15v out of them

- - - Updated - - -

or third idea is if there is any thing available which uses 220v ac to give 15v dc out (with atleast 12A) , does something like this exists ?

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
ended up buying 2 15v 5a laptop adapter
but peltier are not 12706 they are indeed 12703 (fake numbering)
thats what you get when you shop from ebay (its too late to return now)

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
idea was to create something like this
PC AirCon PAC400 | PC Perspective

and what i made looks and works closely to that thing (trying to upload pics )

- - - Updated - - -

setup 1
*www.erodov.com/forums/imagehosting/20288551670f125076.jpg

setup 2
*www.erodov.com/forums/imagehosting/20288551670f170f2c.jpg

setup 2
*www.erodov.com/forums/imagehosting/20288551670f1834ea.jpg

but 1st peltier is using 3A and second is using 4A
*www.erodov.com/forums/imagehosting/20288551670f15f864.jpg

voltage is constant at 15v means laptop adapter is not dropping voltage thus working correctly
*www.erodov.com/forums/imagehosting/20288551670f14d8cb.jpg

vito scalleta

In the zone
idea was to create something like this
PC AirCon PAC400 | PC Perspective

and what i made looks and works closely to that thing (trying to upload pics )

An interesting project . are u planning to try to cool ur computer with this ????
If so please post your experience .
but peltier modules are highly inefficient aren't they ?

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
An interesting project . are u planning to try to cool ur computer with this ????
If so please post your experience .
but peltier modules are highly inefficient aren't they ?

yes the idea was to cool computer :)
because in summer my room temp will become 30-40'C so barely any heatsink will be able to keep my system cool
so i was thinking to blow cool air from bottom back of cabinet to make my system run cooler

yes peltiers are inefficient and my way made them more inefficient ( due to improper contacts ), but they are small and silent so was thinking to try them
my previous peltiers were 36w and 48w so they were clearly not enough and my project was halted
though i think peltiers around 150w can do this job very well

but i know only ebay as a source to buy peltiers and i don't want to buy from ebay so now i am thinking to buy ( but currently out of money so trying to gather some money :p ) some a compressor and make it do the job, this way i won't need extra components to provide power ( as i can directly connect compressor to ac mains ) and it will me more efficient

Top Bottom