12 GB RAM Support Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
12 GB of RAM??!!!???
y the hell do u need so much???!!!
i dont know if its possible to have 12 GB of RAM. i m sceptical abt this.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Uh. Have you guys come across something called 64bit? I'm sure this guy has some need for 12GB.
Dunno about other OS's but enabling highmem and bigmem patches in linux will allow upto 64GB on 32-bit OS. PAE does the same for FreeBSD, so something similar should be around for Mac and other *nix's around, too. What these patches do is use some work around in newer Pentiums to use 36-bit addresses, thus allowing to use upto 64 GB of RAM.
lol 12GB RAM.

Does any OS support that much ?
Any OS that is worth it's name, including Windows.

^^^, but ultimately it will depend on ur processor , isnt it.
A 32 bit Proccy will be able to address only 2^32 Bits of memory, similarly a 64 bit will be able to address 2^64 bits.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
12 GB !!! Why do you need that ??? I think you would like to run Crysis, Nero 8, Photoshop CS3 and Maya 2008 simultaneously !!! lol

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Google

@nandu26 -- Would love to know your purpose. Some scientific app I guess?

..and for all you noobs out here-
128Gb ram
17tb ram!! :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
^^^, but ultimately it will depend on ur processor , isnt it.
A 32 bit Proccy will be able to address only 2^32 Bits of memory, similarly a 64 bit will be able to address 2^64 bits.
Read up on PAE, HIGHMEM and BIGMEM it will tell you how it uses 36-bit addressing on 32-bit PC's, thus allowing upto 64GB of RAM to be used. But, of course 64-bit processors can handle a lot more.

mad_max

Journeyman
the guy asks about a mobo and all you guys talk about operating systems lol shame on you:p
i can have up to 8gigs on my old 965 system so anything above p 35 should be able to support it,i think:)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@nandu26 : think of present now ...12 GB is out of bounds....even if its there it will burn the pocket....with lots of smoke...:D
The Gigabyte 780G mobo supports upto 16GB RAM :cool:

..and for all you noobs out here-
128Gb ram
17tb ram!! :D

Dude these two pics or of supercomputers or mainframe i guess..not for our purpose
:x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom