1080p Laptop suggestions needed

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
1) What is your budget?
~65k (+/-5k)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

14 or 15.6" Wont mind 13.3 if everything else is favorible

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Lots and lots of photo editing. Need something that can run 2-3 image editors (PS, LR, DxO simultaneously)
Casual gaming

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Answered in description at the end

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell (my favorite because of service and support)
b. Dislike: Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution: FHD is a must for me. I would love having an excellent quality screen in terms of color reproduction
Battery back up: nothing specific
Purchase: Can do either Online or offline. Will be purchased from ghaziabad/Delhi (offline)

My requirements
good 1080p display
SSD/ SSHD for fast responsiveness

I'd be happy if someone made a laptop with i5, 8GB of RAM, a good SSHD (32gb cache or similar) or SSD+HDD and a good 1080p display. Unfortunately no one does.

I have singled out few laptops
Lenovo Y510p (i5 version) (with 120GB SSD instead of ODD)
- Screen is a TN panel. Reviews say good things about it but I'm not sure if it is as good as the IPS on Dell 5000 series
- Looks wise I prefer the sleek design of dell
- No SSD/SSHD but since it costs 57K, I think I'll swap the ODD for a dedicated 120GB SSD which would be a much better option than SSHD. Are such SSD bays available in India?
- Reviews say WiFi range is average at best
- Heating issues? Not sure if this will be an issue for me as I won't be gaming much

Dell Inspiron 15 Series 5000 (5547)
- Only 8GB SSHD cache, it will boot fast but not sure if there will be any advantage in application responsiveness and performance)
- No ODD so cannot add another SSD

Sony Vaio Fit 15
- Love this machine. Damn you Sony for selling away Vaio

Apple MBA 13" with windows 8.1
- Never used one but have heard only good things about it

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
No available means discontinued because of newer y50 or out of stock temporarily?

Crappy gpu is ok. Dell seems great but the ssd expansion option and price of y510p is moth watering.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Y510p will heat up for sure when you run multiple editing software.

The laptop is made to withstand that heat. The cards are safe till 95+. The highest a Y510p gets is 80 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

I m an existing hp user. I think I can handle liitle heat.

Any idea if y510p is discontinued permanently?

yep discontinued. Look at Y50 if you can afford one or even G56JR.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Yes. i5 version is discontinued. i7 version too but is available at many stores.

- - - Updated - - -

yep discontinued. Look at Y50 if you can afford one or even G56JR.

He needs a brilliant screen with excellent color reproduction. y50 and this doesnt sound right :p

expmtl2

Right off the assembly line
Y510p is totally discontinued. I was searching for one since last one month and was unable to find one... Yesterday I bought lenovo Z50-70 with full hd screen at 46k. The dealer told me that it is a limited edition version from the company to celebrate sales. It is only available in white colour. The configuration is i5,4gb,500gb,2gb gt840m gfx.

Top Bottom