1080p Laptop suggestions needed

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Maybe I'll wait till diwali for newer models. Otherwise will get the dell 5547. Wish it had a odd bay

Btw is Broadwell expected this year?

panzer1

Broken In
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]: It is true that all laptops heat up at maximum load. But what I meant to say is that the y510 heats up even before that. And the OP said that he said heating might not be an issue since he doesn't game much. But the y510 doesn't need a change to heat up all that much. Multiple editing software is pretty taxing too. Could make it quite warm.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] true that the laptop and its components can handle it but its kinda inconvenient for the user. And OP do not go for the y50 because the display doesn't suit editing purposes. The y510 and dell 7000 have amazing displays. The y50 is a beast in performance though. But it also gets warm.

retz

Broken In
Lenovo india mentions z50 screen resolution upto 1080p. But wasn't able to find one online

It's the z50-70 59414042 model. It seem to be only available in the physical stores - no mention of it online and the lenovo service center people have no idea the model exists. I've been eyeing it for weeks, but haven't purchased it because of this scary lack of information about it online.

- - - Updated - - -

Y510p is totally discontinued. I was searching for one since last one month and was unable to find one... Yesterday I bought lenovo Z50-70 with full hd screen at 46k. The dealer told me that it is a limited edition version from the company to celebrate sales. It is only available in white colour. The configuration is i5,4gb,500gb,2gb gt840m gfx.

Dude... how is the laptop? Any issues so far? Did you get 1 year or three year warranty? Did you buy it from Nehru place?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'll wait till diwali for newer models. Otherwise will get the dell 5547. Wish it had a odd bay

No mobile broadwell part - laptop or untrabook. They're just releasing the fanless models right now, as far as I'm aware.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

I suggest you wait for Maxwell+Broadwell.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]: It is true that all laptops heat up at maximum load. But what I meant to say is that the y510 heats up even before that. And the OP said that he said heating might not be an issue since he doesn't game much. But the y510 doesn't need a change to heat up all that much. Multiple editing software is pretty taxing too. Could make it quite warm.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] true that the laptop and its components can handle it but its kinda inconvenient for the user. And OP do not go for the y50 because the display doesn't suit editing purposes. The y510 and dell 7000 have amazing displays. The y50 is a beast in performance though. But it also gets warm.

Dude if you want gaming laptops to run ice-cold while gaming then dream on. I don't think temperatures in the Y50 should even be considered.

retz

Broken In
I suggest you wait for Maxwell+Broadwell.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Just read up a bit.

The currently released core-M processors will perform somewhat like the 4200U, depending on the TDP of the chip. The best current chip (Core M 5Y70) at 4.5W can outperform a 4250U in certain benchmarks by about 10%! At 6W, the difference will probably be much more significant. (@ A peek at Intel Core M tablet performance (14nm Broadwell) - CPU - News - HEXUS.net) While meant primarily for fanless tablets, given its performance, we'll probably see it in low power laptops.

Nevertheless, this is going to trickle out to US consumers in Q4. In India? Who knows.

The next chip is due early 2015 in the US.

Honestly, if you are waiting, you may as well wait for skylake.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Just read up a bit.

The currently released core-M processors will perform somewhat like the 4200U, depending on the TDP of the chip. The best current chip (Core M 5Y70) at 4.5W can outperform a 4250U in certain benchmarks by about 10%! At 6W, the difference will probably be much more significant. (@ A peek at Intel Core M tablet performance (14nm Broadwell) - CPU - News - HEXUS.net) While meant primarily for fanless tablets, given its performance, we'll probably see it in low power laptops.

Nevertheless, this is going to trickle out to US consumers in Q4. In India? Who knows.

The next chip is due early 2015 in the US.

Honestly, if you are waiting, you may as well wait for skylake.

Skylake is due Q3-4 next year I think. Waiting till dec is much more reasonable.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

My old Lenovo R61 reached 80* C while on 100% CPU load. Fan doesn't works. Replaced the thermal paste today. Runs below 67*C now.

panzer1

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] ever used an rog 17? Perfectly cold at full load. Only the vents heat up. That's impressive cooling.
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and your point is? That thermal paste makes a difference? I agree. Or is it that Lenovo uses shitty thermal paste? Which I've heard people saying

panzer1

Broken In
Oh wait [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] 80c is impressive considering fan wasn't working. That's pretty good.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] ever used an rog 17? Perfectly cold at full load. Only the vents heat up. That's impressive cooling.
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and your point is? That thermal paste makes a difference? I agree. Or is it that Lenovo uses shitty thermal paste? Which I've heard people saying

1. ROG is world renowned in the for its cooling second only to Alienware in terms of cooling. Also it's a 17" laptop :| . Also, I got a more powerful laptop than Indian ROGs. :D
2. The point is thermal paste dries up after years of use. :p

panzer1

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] we'll see how cool the y70 runs then. The latest indian rog uses a 860m right? Which laptop do you have? Msi? Alienware? Yea that guys been pointing out obvious facts for no reason for a while now. First that laptops heat up at full load and note this. Yes we know thermal paste dries up, how is it relevant to the discussion here?

retz

Broken In
HP is pretty good in this regard. I used to call the service guys cause my vents got blocked rather fast and every few months they'd replace the paste. It was possibly shitty oem paste but meh - it did the job.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] we'll see how cool the y70 runs then. The latest indian rog uses a 860m right? Which laptop do you have? Msi? Alienware? Yea that guys been pointing out obvious facts for no reason for a while now. First that laptops heat up at full load and note this. Yes we know thermal paste dries up, how is it relevant to the discussion here?

Custom Lenovo Y500.
Old members rarely care about the discussion. We get sidetracked much more frequently than that. Notice what I am doing right now.

panzer1

Broken In
[MENTION=289026]retz[/MENTION] any clue if Lenovo replaces paste like that?
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] haha yes, showing off your laptop. So sli? I've used a sli y510p. The heat was insane. How do you manage temps? And sli gt650s can manage to beat a860m?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=289026]retz[/MENTION] any clue if Lenovo replaces paste like that?
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] haha yes, showing off your laptop. So sli? I've used a sli y510p. The heat was insane. How do you manage temps? And sli gt650s can manage to beat a860m?

GT650Ms are overclocked 100Mhz above GT 755M level. That's a solid 300 Mhz overclock.
Cooling done by IC Diamond Thermal paste. I pasted it everywhere core+vRAMs+some square thingies.

Top Bottom