100% cpu while copying images folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I often have to copy folders having large no. of images & I now have got a new comp, powerful enough yet when I copy a folder having 2000 images, it takes good amount of time & CPU utilization reamains 100%.

Is copying a cpu intensive job?

I tried on 2 desktops & 2 laptops they all showed the same behaviour, the total size of the folder was 202mb so not really a heavy folder.

On the other hand I made a 400mb file & copied that & that happens instantly without high cpu usage.

Is the no. of files causing this bottleneck or my XP needs somesetting so it can run faster?

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
Hey Man Many Of The Hard Drives Support Content Not Mbs
So They Take More Time

You Can Download some ram increaser software

deadpulse

Broken In
No it does not utilize so much memory while copying just images. Then no matters how big your file is. There must be some process boosting on the background which makes your CPU utilization 100%. Check your utilization while no application is running. It should be 0% - 3% only. If it goes above this definitely there is something weird process hanging up.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
deadpulse said:
It should be 0% - 3% only. If it goes above this definitely there is something weird process hanging up.
Some thing weird???:confused::confused:
Thats why I checked up on different machines, but almost the same time & same 100% cpu.

this only happens when there are larger no. of images, seems that XP does some kind of monitoring of files & file names, which is slowing down the copying...........................but why 100% cpu????. I thought I am on a fast computer now.

THe only common thing which I used on all 4 comps is the cardreader & the CFcard, may be that is having a bottleneck, though its usb 2.0

I just did another test, copied a folder containing images from the card to the desktop 327mb containing 110 files.
It took 3.10 mins

I copied back the same to the card & now it took 6 mins , so it seems that the write /read speed of the card is creating issue, but this time the CPU was consumed3-4% only................strange

I then copied another 160mb folder containing 600 files & it took 6 mins, so it does seem that no. of filesdelay in someway, though the data is smaller amount being copied.

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
ranjan2001 said:
Some thing weird???:confused::confused:
Thats why I checked up on different machines, but almost the same time & same 100% cpu.

this only happens when there are larger no. of images, seems that XP does some kind of monitoring of files & file names, which is slowing down the copying...........................but why 100% cpu????. I thought I am on a fast computer now.

THe only common thing which I used on all 4 comps is the cardreader & the CFcard, may be that is having a bottleneck, though its usb 2.0

I just did another test, copied a folder containing images from the card to the desktop 327mb containing 110 files.
It took 3.10 mins

I copied back the same to the card & now it took 6 mins , so it seems that the write /read speed of the card is creating issue, but this time the CPU was consumed3-4% only................strange

I then copied another 160mb folder containing 600 files & it took 6 mins, so it does seem that no. of filesdelay in someway, though the data is smaller amount being copied.
Here you are! You used USB for copying that's the reason for 100 % CPU. USB transfers require a heavy amount of CPU resources. That is why DSL providers don't recommend USB DSL modems and instead they use LAN. :)

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I tried formatting the card in the camera & then tried copying again & the CPU problem is solved, seems some issue with virus, though the AVG never reported any, nor did I see any suspicious looking files on card.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
ranjan2001 said:
I tried formatting the card in the camera & then tried copying again & the CPU problem is solved, seems some issue with virus, though the AVG never reported any, nor did I see any suspicious looking files on card.
Does AVG report virus?????? I knw that it is an antivirus. I was using AVG, but it never reported me a virus but @ the same time, avast reported me 20 viruses, 40 trojans and 2 adwares. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom