100% CPU Usage while streaming Match/HD Youtube videos

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hi,

I have a really old system, without any graphics card. The CPU is Core 2 Quad Q8400, RAM is 4GB DDR2 and using Windows 7 OS.

I never actually had any issues as such with streaming videos, but recently, whenever I am watching IPL on Hotstar (even at medium quality) or YouTube videos, 720P or 480P, the videos are verry choppy. I mean, they run for a few seconds, then they stop, run choppily for a bit and then smooth out. The IPL stream on hotstar is even more choppier (not sure if that is the correct term). I opened the task manager and noticed the CPU usage going to 100% during these times. The RAM usage is normal, no high jumps.

I don't get what is wrong. Is it time to change rhe system?? Thanks, in advance.

quicky008

Technomancer
are you using the onboard gfx or an external gpu?

I have a similar system but with a q9400 cpu and it can even play 10 bit 1080p hevc videos just fine using VLC player and the cpu usage hardly exceeds 50%(my gpu is a gt 210 ).

Although a system may exhibit some degree of stuttering while attempting to play 1080p videos,its very unusual for it to stutter while playing 480p videos-thats something even a core 2 duo can manage quite easily.

This indicates that there's some issue with your video drivers maybe.Try updating them if possible.

If the issue still persists,try using a discrete gpu like a gt 710-it can accelerate the video playback and thus take some load off the cpu itself,thus largely eliminating the choppiness of your system.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
are you using the onboard gfx or an external gpu?

I have a similar system but with a q9400 cpu and it can even play 10 bit 1080p hevc videos just fine using VLC player and the cpu usage hardly exceeds 50%(my gpu is a gt 210 ).

Although a system may exhibit some degree of stuttering while attempting to play 1080p videos,its very unusual for it to stutter while playing 480p videos-thats something even a core 2 duo can manage quite easily.

This indicates that there's some issue with your video drivers maybe.Try updating them if possible.

If the issue still persists,try using a discrete gpu like a gt 710-it can accelerate the video playback and thus take some load off the cpu itself,thus largely eliminating the choppiness of your system.

I don't have a separate gfx card, it died so just using the CPU's onboard graphic capabilities. Playing full HD videos on VLC is no problem at all. The issue is only during online streaming as i mentioned.

The drivers are updated and as the CPU is quite old, new drivers have not been released in years.

But, will a new gfx card solve this problem? I never actually had such issues when i was using the gfx card. And if yes, which one should i go for. I feel like the system needs to upgraded soon, if not now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
reinstall windows and install some good codec packs .. if the issue still remains get a cheapo graphics card or better a new pc. It's time for you to upgrade anyway.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
reinstall windows and install some good codec packs .. if the issue still remains get a cheapo graphics card or better a new pc. It's time for you to upgrade anyway.
Will try the codec packs, upgradation will take some time.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
So, I opened up the cabinet to clean up the massive amount of dust build up which was not cleaned for approx. 2 years, as I was working out of my hometown. Cleaned everything as far as possible, (broke a leg of the CPU cooler in the process :wah:) and then opened a 720p60 video on YouTube just for fun. To my surprise, it did not lag at all. No 100% CPU usage this time around. I will try it with multiple streaming sites and formats and update here, so that we can have one more solution for such issues in our bags. :doublethumb:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Not sure if it was just the dust. Very well could've been something else. Glad that it's solved though

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom