[1.5L (+40K)] Build Suggestion - 4K Dual Boot Windows and Hackintosh - Photographer config - Lightroom

venkig

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: MS Office, WebEx, Heavy web-browsing but mainly for Lightroom CC 2020 for editing Hi-Res RAW images, Photoshop only for Content aware fixes. I am a Hobbyist photographer. Also need a Hackintosh compatible hardware so that tinkering doesn't suck all my time (I have factored in maintenance required for Hackintosh). ZERO gaming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 1.5L. Plus 40K for a more balanced config.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not right away, eventually yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro and macOS Catalina both residing on different SSDs.

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 512 GB for Windows, 256/512 GB for MacOS, 256/512GB(or 1GB) for Lightroom Catalogue, Cache and also scratch disk. Need NvMe SSD. For storage I don't mind throwing a 2TB or 4TB SATA SSD(Optional). I already own 2 WD MyBook external HDDs - 6GB and 8GB, which is where all my data is currently residing.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: I need a 27- 32" 4K Monitor and I'll be using my LG 32MN58H as my secondary display. The display I am currently considering is BenQ EW3270U. I prefer not to go below 27" and my sweet spot being 32". All 4K displays will be connected via DisplayPort.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard and Mouse - Using Logitech M850 combo, Don't want to buy Optical drive. Don't need UPS.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Right away within a week, if that is not happening then post 23rd June 2020.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I have built half a dozen of PCs all before 2012. Will take a Assembler if things go over my head.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. I have been buying most of PC components from SP Road for a decade and a half. Have used Amazon these years to get Monitors, SSDs. I'd welcome if you personally can recommend your go-to shop in Bangalore and if I can email them or whatsapp them to get their quotes. I am open to buying things online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Don't need Flashy and Colorful Tower, need a cleaner look. I need Intel CPU and AMD Graphics card(Easy for Hackintosh) but I am open to hear your opinion if I should choose otherwise. Hackintosh won't be my production system right away though.

PS- Hackintosh buyer's guide - *www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/

EDIT - System delivered on 13-July-2020. Below is the config

AMD 3700X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi
G skills F4-3600c16d-32gtznc
Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT Pulse OC 8GB
Cooler master MB -511 RGB
Corsair RM 650 M
BenQ EW3270U

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Would need to consult LinusTechTips videos/forum, maybe SnazzyLabs channel also. Main issue is with mobo, wifi support and bootloader (opencore is generally the recommended option) for macos. Nvidia GPUs don't work on macos, only AMD ones do. Getting a good config with enough display port outs is challenging considering the niche requirement.

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
Not interested in WiFi module of the motherboard not working as the machine will be hooked to an ethernet always. Kinda want to stay away from Ryzen as active tasks in Lightroom is slower on AMD compared to Intel. Things like exporting, building 1:1 JPEG previews(I don't use it) and importing works amazing using Ryzen but those things aren't something that is very common for me as they happen seldom and only once in a while when I need to import files. Exporting is always less than a dozen files so I don't mind if it's a tad bit slow.

Also lightroom just doesn't work properly or not work at all on a Ryzentosh

Last edited:
CPU - Intel i9 9900K - 59.2k

Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aoris Elite - 19.1k

CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - 7.7k

RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz - 12.8k

GPU - MSI RX580 Armor 8GB - 16k

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 1TB - 12.9k

M.2 SSD2 - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB - 11.5k (For Mac unless the other one is known to work w/o issues, in which case just get 2 of those. There are just 2x M.2 slots)

PSU - Corsair TX650M - 7.4k

Cabinet - CM MasterBox MB511 or other mid tower ATX - 6k (can vary)

Monitor - LG 27UK650/BenQ EW3270U - 34k*

Total - 186.6k

Check mdcomputers, primeabgb, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores) for PC parts at a good price. Some parts have such low prices on amazon during sales as well.

*LG 27UK650-W vs BenQ EW3270U Side-by-Side Monitor Comparison

NOTE - For anyone else not looking into hackintosh rig, stay away from that build.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aoris Elite - 19.1k
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...orus-pro-wifi-intel-z390-chipset-motherboard/
Almost similar price but has wifi & a bit better VRMs.
*www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=250662&d=1548963030

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
Thank you @omega44-xt and @whitestar_999 for your recommendation.

Omega thank you for putting together components. Has given me lot to think about and go back to the drawing board and map all these.

For Motherboard what do you guys think about - GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE ? Overkill? I don't use Thunderbolt for now but perhaps it'll be handy? Also does it make a bad MoBo for overclocking?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Z390 Designare surely has better VRMs than aorus pro but at its price range there are also aorus ultra & aorus master(refer mobo tier list of overclock.net link in my previous post).

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
I have an update from my trusted seller from SP Road, Bangalore. All of the below components are brand new and comes with a warranty, just saying if somebody is confused :)

I am kinda happy with the pricing, I am sure If I haggle a bit more as I need to upgrade few more machines lying at home. The one's he has not quoted is the components he can't source yet. I would need alternate suggestions for these so that I can check with him if it is available

CPU - Intel i9 9900K--------41000+

Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aoris Elite------16500

CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 -------

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz --6500+

GPU - MSI RX580 Armor 8GB ----14200+

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 1TB---- -----

M.2 SSD2 - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB ------------8500+

PSU - Corsair TX650M ---

Cabinet - CM MasterBox MB511 or other mid tower ATX ---6500+

Monitor - LG 27UK650------36000net

BenQ EW3270U--31000+

** The "+" next prices means more 500Rs or 1K. Also GST has to be added, I guess. 18%?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Costlier but better.
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...chromax-pure-black-cpu-cooler-dual-140m-fans/
*hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/141712-noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack/

*www.vedantcomputers.com/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gddr5
Cheaper & overall considered a safer choice for amd cards.

M.2 is just form factor, there are 2 types of M.2 ssd: M2 sata(basically regular 2.5" ssd without their external covering) & M2 NVMe ssd(the one you want).
You picked a bad time to get ssd now because current ssd prices are up by as much as 60% compared to just last year in Dec. Go with this regular sata ssd along with samsung 970 evo:
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-2-5-inch-1tb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-ct1000mx500ssd1/

*www.vedantcomputers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1046

Whatever cabinet you buy(MB511 is a good option though) make sure it does not have a front glass panel & must have a meshed front panel. Indian climate is hot & intel 9th gen also runs quite hot so you need a good airflow cabinet unlike European countries/USA where most reviews of cabinets come from.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This seems to be the official distributor of be quiet cpu coolers in India so contact them for expected availability because if they don't have it then I doubt anyone else would have it.
*tech91.in/product/dark-rock-pro-4/
*www.reddit.com/user/Blehzinga

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
Thanks a ton mate. I'll check with the official distributor. I think my ambitious plans of having my perfect dream system will have to wait. Maybe I'll just do 2x256 currently and upgrade later or perhaps just one 512 and 256 and call it a day. I already have another 256MB SATA SSD, I think I'll use all that for cache, scratch disk and all the rest of the crap.

Decisions .. Decision .. hmmmm!

I have an update from my trusted seller from SP Road, Bangalore. All of the below components are brand new and comes with a warranty, just saying if somebody is confused :)

I am kinda happy with the pricing, I am sure If I haggle a bit more as I need to upgrade few more machines lying at home. The one's he has not quoted is the components he can't source yet. I would need alternate suggestions for these so that I can check with him if it is available

CPU - Intel i9 9900K--------41000+

Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aoris Elite------16500

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz --6500+

M.2 SSD2 - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB ------------8500+

PSU - Corsair TX650M ---

Monitor - LG 27UK650------36000net

BenQ EW3270U--31000+

** The "+" next prices means more 500Rs or 1K. Also GST has to be added, I guess. 18%?
Yes, 18% GST, which is a lot. So ask sellers to quote final prices with taxes.

Upadhyay

Broken In
If you do Photography for living then do keep some serious budget for a good monitor and lot of reliable/RAID storage.

Following are some good monitors for different budget
  1. Eizo ColorEdge CG318-4K
  2. Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q
  3. BenQ PD3200U
  4. MSI Prestige PS341WU
  5. BenQ EX3501R
  6. BenQ GW2270H
  7. Dell UltraSharp UP3218K

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
This is a quote from an Assembler from Hyderabad who will assemble the system and stress test for me. There is no break-up here.

What are your thoughts here? How much extra do you think I am splurging here?
  1. CPU: Core i7-9700k up to 4.70 GHz
  2. CPU-Cooler: NZXT - Kraken x62
  3. Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 Aorus Pro
  4. Graphics-Card: RX5700XT - Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB
  5. SSD: Samsung - 500 GB (970 EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  6. SSD: Samsung - 500 GB (970 EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  7. SSD: Samsung - 1TB (970 EVO EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  8. RAM: 8x2 - Corsair Veng 16GB 3000
  9. SMPS: Corsair - CX 650
  10. Case: Corsair - 175R
  11. Wifi-Card : TPLink - TLWN881ND
Wattage: 298

Price: ₹175,000 + 3,000 (Shipping + Packaging)

I have asked for a revised quote after telling them get 2*250 GB NVME SSD. I would ideally like an i9-990k but the argument from the assembler is that I would barely see any noticeable gains using Lightroom. His quote doesn't include a monitor.

OP
V

venkig

Broken In
If you do Photography for living then do keep some serious budget for a good monitor and lot of reliable/RAID storage.

Following are some good monitors for different budget
  1. Eizo ColorEdge CG318-4K
  2. Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q
  3. BenQ PD3200U
  4. MSI Prestige PS341WU
  5. BenQ EX3501R
  6. BenQ GW2270H
  7. Dell UltraSharp UP3218K

Excellent suggestions. But I don't do photography for a living. Not yet and not any time soon :)

This is a quote from an Assembler from Hyderabad who will assemble the system and stress test for me. There is no break-up here.

What are your thoughts here? How much extra do you think I am splurging here?
  1. CPU: Core i7-9700k up to 4.70 GHz
  2. CPU-Cooler: NZXT - Kraken x62
  3. Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 Aorus Pro
  4. Graphics-Card: RX5700XT - Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB
  5. SSD: Samsung - 500 GB (970 EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  6. SSD: Samsung - 500 GB (970 EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  7. SSD: Samsung - 1TB (970 EVO EVO PLUS) M.2 NVME
  8. RAM: 8x2 - Corsair Veng 16GB 3000
  9. SMPS: Corsair - CX 650
  10. Case: Corsair - 175R
  11. Wifi-Card : TPLink - TLWN881ND
Wattage: 298

Price: ₹175,000 + 3,000 (Shipping + Packaging)

I have asked for a revised quote after telling them get 2*250 GB NVME SSD. I would ideally like an i9-990k but the argument from the assembler is that I would barely see any noticeable gains using Lightroom. His quote doesn't include a monitor.
Looks good, but the 5700XT, 970 Evos & AIO cooler surely pushes the price up significantly w/o much observable difference. X62 is good & required if you plan to OC the i7 (to say 5GHz all core) as Intel CPUs are pretty hot these days & OC leads to tremendous heat generation.

Maybe upgrade PSU to Corsair TX650M, better quality PSU.

Those 970 Evos are pretty expensive, also, the motherboard has just 2x M.2 slots, not sure how you will fit 3x M.2 SSDs, unless you buy some device which adds to PCIe slot & has M.2 slots on it.

Do replace the 1TB 970 Evo to something cheaper but almost as good as 970, like Kingston A2000 or Adata SX8200 Pro. You won't see a difference between a bit slow TLC M.2 NVMe drive & a fast NVMe (even if its PCIe 4.0 one, which Intel doesn't support). Just partition the 1TB SSD to get a 200GB partition for Win10, use rest for storage.

Top Bottom