Within 1 day of launch Firefox 4 Has Already Eclipsed IE9 and Opera 11

tkin

Back to school!!
Update- A reinstall fixed all, firefox now starts as fast as opera or chrome, now to install a few addons, and later I'll test a cold start.

Piyush

Lanaya
wow ff4 is so cool
just downloaded it and did a test run
will arrange some required addons now

nims11

BIOS Terminator
lol, mozilla calls the address bar as the "awesome bar"

the refresh/stop button isnt placed right... i am used to see them on the left side of the "awesome bar"....

OP
Garbage

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
lol, mozilla calls the address bar as the "awesome bar"

the refresh/stop button isnt placed right... i am used to see them on the left side of the "awesome bar"....

Use it for few more days and you will get to know the awesomeness of the awesome bar.
BTW, here is some help - Firefox’s Awesome Bar – Some Must Known Tips and Tricks

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
tbh, Firefox 4 is as fast as Opera or Chrome now. You don't really notice those benchmark performance differences in real life.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Yeah... IE 8 is bundled with Win 7, and which is the Awesomest Browser Ever.....

to d/w Firefox ! :))

lol...:)

I am a big supporter of Firefox and as far as the new release is concerned, Firefox 4.0 rocks to the core...

tkin

Back to school!!
FF4 got improved startup times too!
It just rocks!!!
Open Source rocks!!!
FF4 cold start is still slower than chrome(and I use adblock plus on both), but it looks fantastic, much better than chrome does.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
^^
True..
Mozilla really did a good job in the UI department and add to that the amazing collection of Personas add-ons, FF4 looks and works freshly different from the others...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am loving the improvement that now, tab placement in FF 4.0 is like that of Chrome. When in maximized mode, the tab borders touch the edges, which makes it easier to select a tab, by just running the mouse over it. :)
Currently, even Opera lacks this!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
They (Opera 11.10 and Chromium 12) do outperform Firefox 4 by some margin in tests, but honestly in real time usage, Firefox seems as fast as either of them.
In terms of loading time, Firefox loads only slightly slower than Chromium but loads faster than Opera in Linux.

tkin

Back to school!!
They (Opera 11.10 and Chromium 12) do outperform Firefox 4 by some margin in tests, but honestly in real time usage, Firefox seems as fast as either of them.
In terms of loading time, Firefox loads only slightly slower than Chromium but loads faster than Opera in Linux.
What about cold start?? FF4 has issues with that.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's hardly any difference between the performance of Firefox 4, Chrome and Opera. These 'synthetic' benchmarks hardly matter in real life.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
but 1 crucial thing for me, Opera opens pic without crashing in slow network. unlike Chrome where many times i am forced to open the pic in a different tab. didn't tested it on FF4.

maybe cause i use beta of Chome but stable release of Opera.

OP
Garbage

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I always wonder when people start talking about difference of milliseconds of rendering, loading, etc. Do we ever notice that small difference? Does it even matter for general / usual / everyday websites? :s

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Well whatever you use, you will have to go back to IE to use java-applet based Internet Banking sites or other similar sites. They just don't work on other browsers. :-|
(At-least for me, If anyone could make this happen, let me know.. )

tkin

Back to school!!
Well whatever you use, you will have to go back to IE to use java-applet based Internet Banking sites or other similar sites. They just don't work on other browsers. :-|
(At-least for me, If anyone could make this happen, let me know.. )
Not sure which bank you mean(SBI?) but I access Axis and HDFC regularly with opera, no issues there, for those sites try the IETab addon for firefox. I only have to use IE to open my modem config page, it has issues with all other browsers.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Try using any local banks sites like Rajasthan Bank. (Now gone to ICICI, but still don't work on FF, and yeah I have used IETab and it's no use for me.)
Will try again today with Opera as you say, will also try Bank Of India site.