Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

den20

Broken In
nokia is going to die out but not soon
If the Lumia came with Android in it and not Windows it would have sold more pieces than the windows

and why did nokia say no to android and yes to windows

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
nokia is going to die out but not soon
If the Lumia came with Android in it and not Windows it would have sold more pieces than the windows

and why did nokia say no to android and yes to windows

I don't think Microsoft is going to quit improving Windows Phone...

Eventually, WPx will be on par with iOS and Android. But right now, its not equal...

Nokia will be a lot smaller than it was in its heyday... but it won't go away... It will remain a premium Windows Phone device maker... all other WP device makers will continue to focus on Android and abandon WP...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hype is so much that it stuck with single core processor and low resolution display :(.
Resolution? okay, could be better.

Single core processor? lol, WP7 isn't Android. Still runs faster than any Android on quad kaur or whatever.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

Single core processor? lol, WP7 isn't Android. Still runs faster than any Android on quad kaur or whatever.

I agree WP7 is very smooth... It does not need more processing power... But think about the Apps and Games... One day WP7 will have world class apps... But no hardware to run them properly...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Run WP7 on single core. give it better graphics power. not the ANCIENT Adreno 200. we have Adreno 225 now (220 will be added to history book soon). Smoothness is cause you don't have to rewrite kernel for all sort of ARM variants found in the wild like Android has to do.

Also M$ updated that
Update: WMPoweruser.com quotes Microsoft evangelist Nuno Silva as saying explicitly that all current Windows Phone 7 devices will be updated to Windows Phone 8. They even have the video interview to prove it.

but i really don't trust M$. this update thing can very well turn out to be a value pack like the one outed for Galaxy S. But can't blame M$. First & second gen WP mobile carry some really slow & powerhungry old processor. So if they transit to a new one, abandoning the old one is a must. Sad that Nokia's dying ship took another hit.

amjath

Human Spambot

I agree WP7 is very smooth... It does not need more processing power... But think about the Apps and Games... One day WP7 will have world class apps... But no hardware to run them properly...

+1 for AndroidFan [oops Android Fan huh]

@ico i dont know whether u heard of Mozilla's OS or the popular Ubuntu OS for android. Ubuntu is awesome on android and the basic configuration is multi core processor ;)

Ubuntu for Android: more details and prototype hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Well there is no such things for iOS or Windows Mobiles so no worries for WP supporting people :mrgreen: enjoy with ur tiles

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Thats exactly the difference between Android and the rest. The level of customisation. Some like it. Some dont. IMO the tiles is a nice concept in a world that was stuck on icons (and widgets). A tile is just like a widget anyway.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ i see i ll have a look at live tiles once.

another failure to Nokia Lumia

Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T) battery life test is completed, results inside - GSMArena Blog

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
However, operators say that Nokia would sell better if it used Android instead of WP. And, its true to one extent. Hardly anyone knows about WP and many among whoever go to a shop asks for Android.

Operators: Nokia would sell better with Android | News | PC Pro

R2K

In the Zone
Saw some videos on youtube showing how a Windows phone is way too faster than even the iphones when it comes to basic smartphone usage like tweeting and facebook updates.

Looking at its UI, it can be very useful to people with less tech proficiency (like old people) considering every commonly used options are pretty much straight forward on click of a button.
Should congratulate MS for coming with such a different UI and literally fluid like lag-free platform . Hope they don't comeup with some weird update and screw it all up. ( Like they did with Windows Vista over XP in PC Segment)

But still to see person in real life who is actually using a windows phone :D

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
Some weird Model's that i have ever came across.

<Link>

90% of the handset listed above looks similar in design, with different hardware & different price tag.

Reminds me of BAJAJ Pulsar 150, 180, 200.

Krow

Crowman
One school of thought says that for success you should give customers as many choices as they want. The other says that you make one product and make it well. I agree with the latter.

Samsung has too many products on its plate.

Nokia will survive. But Nokia lacks creative people, so it will be next to impossible to again get the top spot in smartphones (only smartphones I don't consider dumbphones anything) where Apple and Samsung have taken the grip. If nokia remains a topper in low end dumb phones it doesn't matter

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Not sure what your statement means. If design is any criteria for measuring creativity, one look at the N9 or Lumia 800 or even the Pureview 808 or N8 should answer any doubts. And also the native nokia apps like the drive. Nokia has always been unique, just that their current strategy seems to be failing.

^
Not sure what your statement means. If design is any criteria for measuring creativity, one look at the N9 or Lumia 800 or even the Pureview 808 or N8 should answer any doubts. And also the native nokia apps like the drive. Nokia has always been unique, just that their current strategy seems to be failing.

yes N9 is a unique device. But Nokia is very unfortunate to ditch such a good OS platform. N9 is a CRAP and still there are issues with that handset. Camera is not the only primary only important component of a smartphone. If you look at next generation GS3 it will have sensors that will be lock and unlock the screen based upon your pupil movement. That is called creativity. Siri application used by iPhone 4s is creativity for which you need good artists with talent. Nokia lacks such artists.

setanjan123

In the zone
WP7 is a premium OS lyk iOS. Fluidity and al that. Not wid the geek factor that android has. No 1 cn match android in customizin becuz its open source. WP wil neva be opn sorce. So WP might be more of a challenger 2 iOS nt android

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Calling N9 crap is a bit too much.

Yeah the rumors do say the s3 will have that face-recognitionish kind of feature. Its nice, but you have to admit they do lack a sense for design. Look at the touch-wiz for example - amongst the more boring-looking interfaces out there in the android world.

And siri is a cool feature. Yep, note the word feature. its pretty useful too but i'd call them a different kind of creativity.

And look at the handset design itself. Nearly all look the same. No real creativity there.

Now look at what meego got into this world. Remember the flick way of closing an app? Still the most natural feeling method by a mile. Also remember haptic feedback? that little vibration you feel when you press a soft key? Does wonders for the user experience.

I'm not saying samsung is bad or nokia is great, but definitely, IMO, when it comes to creativity only apple can be talked about in the same breath as nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom