Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Newer Androids will not need a PC at all... all updates will be OTA...

i really doubt it'll happen. and actually having a PC Suite installed have some advantages. downloading updates & before you apply you can backup your current OS or at least the files and settings.

also usually official updates are 200-300Mb. think about downloading this OTA using GPRS. mobile will have to be plugged in whole night & even day also. But if for some reason the link is broken during update process, there is every chance your shining new Android or iPhone or Nokia will become a showcase piece that you can flash your whole life ;)

But then not everyone have a PC. Or even if they have, at least a simple mount as USB should be there in WP. If M$ is trying to counter piracy in this way, stop sideloading of apps like Blackberry but making a smartphone completely dependent on a Windows software (Zune for Linux exist?), this is not a smart move at all. Though most of the non-tech guys end up installing all the craps they find in the driver disc for their Android mobile also. can't blame them.

Zune and iTunes suck...

i have not used Zune but yes iTunes is heavy and installs a few side softwares.

Samsung is the current smartphone leader for a reason. They sell mobile based on all OS they can license. WP7.5, Android, BADA. And even sold Symbian if i am not mistaken. On the other hand Nokia went for only WP7.5 cause they want to be different from others. now they are different as they are taking loss after loss. Nice strategy Elop.

One more thing that i was always against is that Samsung floods the market with all sort of mobiles & tablets. This is the strategy Nokia should have picked up long ago with WP. Sell a WP mobile at 15k, one at 20k, 25, 30. instead they went ahead with just 2 model against some 100 or so Androids. What they get. Peoples like it but can't afford it. Peoples like it but feel it is overpriced. Peoples like it but are diverted by the looks & power of Android mobile (Arc, S2, etc). They outsourced their Symbian design team to Accenture. And use WP on the rest. i.e. they no longer develop any kind of OS. This is one reason why they stopped supporting Meego, i believe.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
noob said:
Both iTunes & Zune sucks..i have to keep 2 copies of music on PC because of that.. WP sucks when it comes to file copy.
It's a different thing that you are not able to manage your files properly but most people are.
Yes iTunes sucks bigtime(bloated,etc) but it does make the process of managing files easier.
I seriously think Android too needs a syncing software. It doesnt need to be made compulsory to use but those who want to use can use it :|
noob said:
how many people today use Yahoo ?
I do. Given spam filter isn't the best around but it does one heck of a job storing 20k emails.

noob said:
Copying a simple 200 mb video file takes 20-30 min in WP
There is a good chance the file is converted before being copied. So more time is taken. In any case I havent used Zune yet.

noob

Cyborg Agent
I seriously think Android too needs a syncing software. It doesnt need to be made compulsory to use but those who want to use can use it
Even i do agree on this. It will be easy for my parents to copy files.

There is a good chance the file is converted before being copied. So more time is taken. In any case I havent used Zune yet
I dont care about that..its a simple file copy. it should just work like it does on Android phones. Point is , same is faster on iDevices.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^Sounds like your useername. :lol:

I was thinking the same :-D

We are in a post-PC world... Newer Androids will not need a PC at all... all updates will be OTA...

Honestly I cant really think of a post-PC era occurring anytime soon. But then I could be wrong. And exclusive OTA updates arent a good thing. Updates through the PC will always be safer. Nobody wants a 30k brick.

But it gives you freedom to choose a cheaper device, which can do most of the basic stuff expensive WP7 and iOS devices can.

Even the most expensive of phones dont do very many things that their inexpensive counterparts cant. Going along the same line, even a cheaper WP phone can do all the things (nearly) that its more expensive cousins can, in fact they do it better than the corresponding cheap-expensive android brothers. I mean to say that a mid end android lags, whereas a mid end.... you get the idea.

WP7 and iOS don't even have a user-accessible file system. They are tied to one type of hardware... Its no surprise they are so much more smoother and efficient than Android...

Regarding the FS, yeah you are right, it'd have been better for some people if they were user accessible.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
We are in a post-PC world... Newer Androids will not need a PC at all... all updates will be OTA...

+1

Yahoo has pathetic filters. My old Yahoo account gets hundreds of spam messages everyday, even after I try very hard to flag them... They keep coming...

But Gmail is perfect... Its fast, clean interface based on AJAX is awesome...

Gmail is perfect but I never ever get a single spam on yahoo but gmail gets 1 or 2.

Honestly I cant really think of a post-PC era occurring anytime soon. But then I could be wrong. And exclusive OTA updates arent a good thing. Updates through the PC will always be safer. Nobody wants a 30k brick.

Why do you think OTA update will brick your phone? That sounds total dumb.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Its almost inevitable to avoid OS wars on a topic like this. But It would be nice if we post something in regard to the Nokia. This thread is turning into another mobile war thread.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I read this

OTA disadvantages, point 4.

There is nothing mentioned why an OTA update would fail. IMO its quick an easy, obviously you have not option of back up, but something is achieved at cost of something, isn't it?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
yep. There is always a loss of something involved. But the option of a backup is too much to forgo IMO. There are ways you may be able to bypass it. But still, exclusive OTA updates are still risky. Especially considering that even PC based updates are sometimes resulting bricked or partially bricked phones. And also the mobile data connections are not very reliable, especially here and the updates run into 100+ MB's.

See how many results a google search for OTA update brick throws up just for the past month.

And regarding NOKIA stuff, i read in some other thread that the second generation WP phones are nearly assured of a apollo update. Now thats big news, hoping its true.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
After using Android phones from Cupcake to ICS,I am totally sick and tired of it.
Yet to find an alarm which will work even the phone is turned off.
My 1.5k nokia is doing this flawlessly for a year,but the 30k SGS2 often likes to oversleep with me.
iOS and Windows Phone can't do it. Your computer and laptop can't do it as well.

Next time you write a review, write it as a con. Big deal. :)

Symbian can do it. Symbian >>> all.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Its almost inevitable to avoid OS wars on a topic like this. But It would be nice if we post something in regard to the Nokia. This thread is turning into another mobile war thread.

Well let me try and get it back on topic :p
The thread asks Will Nokia survive the downfall?
To start with there isnt any downfall Nokia is facing. Windows Phone 7.5 have given them a new life to finally get over Symbian and start afresh on a new platform.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ofc Nokia faced a downfall

although they are the single company dominating the market, their market share has gone down a lot

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Mobile_phone_manufacturers_market_share_in_Q3-2008.png

*www.productdesignfunda.com/images/stories/top%205%20mobile%20vendors.jpg

Apple is the biggest gainer, Nokia the biggest loser

Apple marketing at its best moments is turning the mac logo into colour before the iPad press conference, they havent done that since the 80s or something. Nokia on the other hand, does this:

[YOUTUBE]SX2Gd-kqV5s[/YOUTUBE]

R2K

In the Zone
There is no point in comparing mobile OS.
There is a big portion of mobile device users who got better things to do in life other than fiddling and tweaking their smartphones all day long but are ready to pay a premium for getting everything done without getting their hands "dirty". iOS is designed for people like that.

Android is designed mainly for people who are ready to go all the way to get that last bit of functionality and performance out of their devices.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
iOS and Windows Phone can't do it. Your computer and laptop can't do it as well.

Next time you write a review, write it as a con. Big deal. :)

Symbian can do it. Symbian >>> all.

Sorry for this offtopic post..
Not very sure about this, but I believe laptops can wake from hibernate. The alarm software i use claims so. Too lazy to test it :-D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for this offtopic post..
Not very sure about this, but I believe laptops can wake from hibernate. The alarm software i use claims so. Too lazy to test it :-D
You said it. It's not "turn off".. :)

nipunmaster

MuSiC AnD GaMiNg
well i have a good old Nokia c1 and a new galaxy y, but i still like my c1. though android is very ahead of Symbian in many terms, but then, simple things are always good.
android is very tech cornered, while Symbian and WP is easy, i think so.
i think that Nokia will survive the downfall, and emerge again as a winner, times change, and today is Samsung's turn, but it will and is trying its best. In India people still like the good old Nokias, very much, and i also like it very much.

i don't know know if its true, but one of my friends told me that, Samsung just extracted and took away all the engineers from top to bottom from Nokia and got them employed for their mobiles, and that's why Nokia lagged behind. any idea about this?

and about the alarm thing, its really funny that a 20k phone can't efficiently wake you up from your sleep, but a black and white nokia can do it very well, and some of them can even sound the alarm when their battery is very very low.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
the thread is becoming "android vs mango/nokia"....

nokia has really lost a big part of market because for a long time symbian got no update and the user became bored and the platform became outdated. Then came android and the rest you know....

Aerrow

Journeyman
I just bought the Lumia 710 for my dad, he is moving from a E75 to the Mango platform, and using the touchscreen for the first time in his life. I found the interface extremely fluid and simple, thats the reason I picked the Wp 7.5 for him. Checked out a few Drooids, but they arent really polished or complete. Also favored Nokia for its legendary reliability.

The MAngo does have its quirks, he wants profiles, and an SMS template, which was present in his E75. It can be easily customized, creating playlists on the go is a PITA, almost close to non existent.

But overall its a nice easy to use phone for people considering their first smart phone. I think Nokia and Microsoft have made a good start, and should build on it. Really looking forward to the Apollo update.

Looks like no devices running Mango will get updated to Apollo.

Direct Quote:

According to the latest bit of information received by The Verge, the current Windows Phone devices running the Mango update will not be able to upgrade to Apollo. This information comes from sources close to Microsoft.

Sources: current Windows Phone devices will not get 'Apollo' upgrade | The Verge

Samsung is the current smartphone leader for a reason. They sell mobile based on all OS they can license. WP7.5, Android, BADA. And even sold Symbian if i am not mistaken. On the other hand Nokia went for only WP7.5 cause they want to be different from others. now they are different as they are taking loss after loss. Nice strategy Elop.

I agree.. But they should make sure they take a good look at the build quality of the high end phones atleast.. I feel s2's are sub-par in that department.. btw.. there were good symbian phones from samsung and sony ericsson.. I have used a samsung one and was blown away by the performance diff with the nokia counterpart.. :-D It was some phone in the Omnia series if I am not mistaken..

amjath

Human Spambot
Lumia 900 is a long time hype.

The hype is so much that it stuck with single core processor and low resolution display :(.

Nokia advertising their WP phones with live tiles really they have nothing to more to say.

IMO Nokia tops the market with low end and multi media phones not smartphones

Mobile operators unconvinced by Nokia's revival bid - The Economic Times

Status
Not open for further replies.