Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaymailed

In the zone
As Apple is reaching a trillion dollar level of market cap, Android capturing more than 50% of smartphone market world wide, Nokias downfall continues are unabated.
Investors are losing hope on Nokia, they promised a turnaround with windows but hope is waning as smartphone sales fell by 50% to just 12 million in first quarter, while overall sales fell by 34% to 71 million.

Nokia lowers profit outlook, shares nosedive
TEXT-Fitch:Nokia's profit warning highlights challenge in its transition process | Reuters
Budget Androids has further eaten into Nokia's mid-segment market in India & other developing countries.
Android blitz was so strong that anyone other than Apple is facing hard time. Android phone makers themselves are struggling with profits. The only two companies making humongous amount of money are Samsung & Apple.

Nokia still has 14 billion USD cash to survive for couple of years. But if market share falls like this, then it will become tempting target to takeover, like say Microsoft. Now that Google has got Motorola, it might make some sense MS to get Nokia for cheap price when its performance & stock price fall to very low in future.

Last edited:

Theodre

In the zone
I really think that Nokia is atlast catching up even though they had a slow start. It will be really interesting if Microsoft takeover the nokia. Lets hope that wont happen and Nokia comes back stronger than ever :wink:

red dragon

Master troll
Nokia will make a comeback for sure.
Eventually people will get sick and tired of the hype around Android.

I think Nokia will survive only if they realize that software is as much important as hardware. They really need to shift focus from hardware to software which would be difficult for them because of their legacy. If they take and implement that decision well(assuming they do not adopt Android), Nokia would not require much time to regain the top spot.

Many other hardware vendors have succeeded on top of Android, if Nokia follows that path they would be just like others. But to walk alone they need courage and IMO MS is not their best counterpart.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Nokia will make a comeback for sure.
Eventually people will get sick and tired of the hype around Android.

Nokia makes excellent hardware... The main question is, is WP7 as good as ICS? Not even close...

Had Nokia selected Android instead of WP7, my next phone would definitely had been a Nokia...

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Android is the main reason behind Nokia's failure. Also the nokia store for Symbian phones is almost dead. There's no good free app there in it, not even free pdf reader.
Nokia with Android os will super hit. ;)

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Nokia catching up? lol... most others catch up to Nokia.
Nokia released the Lumia here before anywhere else in the world, we are almost its primary market. We treat Nokai liek our family jeweller, or doctor, this is waay beyond brand loyalty. Best resale value till the iphone came around was also a cpntributing factor... but its a part of our system so itll go on till were around.
Nokia had a big re-branding exercise where they wanted to capitalise teh ecosystem, but they are one company where making a model for eveyrone works irrespective of the OS they r on, they can pretty much push the same devices with Windows, Android or Bella.
Also they got a lot of things going, tron style layers on most of their phones and some real original research its a refreshing alternative to what some perceive as a race between iPhone and Samsung to the bottom.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Let WP mature enough, it will leap Android for sure. Nokia is Nokia.

WP is giving Nokia life & at the same time hurt them bad.
A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to suggest a mobile under 15k. i immediately took the name of Nokia Lumia 710. A second guy told him you can't transfer files using bluetooth. 710 was immediately rejected. Bluetooth file transfer matters a lot. Once fixed, lot more people will jump into the WP platform.

But till then Nokia will take loss in the highed section. And its not solely the WP mobiles, look at the Asha series. The 5k+ touch&types are born flops. poor quality small resistive screen, weak camera. They may pack 1Ghz processor but nowadays even non-tech peoples know a full touchscreen with Android OS is lot better. Gone are the days of Nokia 5230 selling like hot cakes.

If Nokia has to survive they must fix their lowend while M$ outs Apollo. Else they can blame themselve.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
WP is giving Nokia life & at the same time hurt them bad.
A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to suggest a mobile under 15k. i immediately took the name of Nokia Lumia 710. A second guy told him you can't transfer files using bluetooth. 710 was immediately rejected. Bluetooth file transfer matters a lot. Once fixed, lot more people will jump into the WP platform.

But till then Nokia will take loss in the highed section. And its not solely the WP mobiles, look at the Asha series. The 5k+ touch&types are born flops. poor quality small resistive screen, weak camera. They may pack 1Ghz processor but nowadays even non-tech peoples know a full touchscreen with Android OS is lot better. Gone are the days of Nokia 5230 selling like hot cakes.

If Nokia has to survive they must fix their lowend while M$ outs Apollo. Else they can blame themselve.

To be very frank sometimes I feel cramped from all sides by "touch" fever. I can see the glass technology coming soon.

Coming on Asha series, Nokia as usual trying to cover every segment is just brimming its handsets with "features" (like in asha), thus diluting the quality. In some scenario, Nokia won the battle (already largest seller of dual SIM phones which were earlier monopoly of local brands), but also losing on high end and also on mid end market. People won't carry Nokia for long just to agree Nokia is Nokia. But I think Nokia is realising this, and Lumia is a result. But I readily agree that with M$it, it can't go much ahead. But we should not forget that WP is not targeted to low end devices, of which Nokia is God. But if projected in a right direction, (in a non-apple standard way), Nokia will be able to challenge Android, if not defeat. And battery backup will be a major criteria in this (at least I believe this).

Let the time take play its role.

R2K

In the Zone
I think nokia is still around only because of its wide popularity in Asia alone. In Europe and US its somewhat out of market already.
Unless Nokia ditches symbian and come up with android there is no way they can survive in today's market. Its ridiculous why it is still not adopting Android which definitely is the future of mobile OS considering the jaw-dropping speed at which its user base is increasing.
But there is no argument when it comes to the fact that Apple and nokia are the best when it comes to sturdy build quality.

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Well nothing can beat Nokias Hardware and durability but IMO Nokia sucks now.
Well you see they spoil their good phones by a 600mhz,250 mb ram and no auto focus for their camera(Like In nokia e6,E7 and many more Nokias).And then they have a terrible App support.
Android is much better.Even win 7 phones look good

I think nokia is still around only because of its wide popularity in Asia alone. In Europe and US its somewhat out of market already.
Unless Nokia ditches symbian and come up with android there is no way they can survive in today's market. Its ridiculous why it is still not adopting Android which is which definitely is the future of mobile OS considering the jaw-dropping speed at which its user base is increasing.
But there is no argument when it comes to the fact that Apple and nokia are the best when it comes to sturdy build quality.

Your right Nokia is Popular only in Asia and some European Countries. In other countries People Hardly buy a nokia These days.
In india People get impressed by Nokia by seeing the Camera it has.They Fail to see the other Hardware.

red dragon

Master troll
After using Android phones from Cupcake to ICS,I am totally sick and tired of it.
Yet to find an alarm which will work even the phone is turned off.
My 1.5k nokia is doing this flawlessly for a year,but the 30k SGS2 often likes to oversleep with me.
And the awesome random force closes of Android....love it man!

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Nokia needs a wind of change, they still dominate the low end market to a large extent. But when it comes to Smart-phones they have lost their way.
A couple of years ago (up-till 2007 to be precise) the Hardware alone of played a major role in deciding a Great cellphone So, Nokia Ruled with its N-series:lol:, but then along came iPhone:cool: with its touch interface and Apps. The initial success of iPhone can be attributed to its hardware (capacitive touch), but later on it was the Apps that were its major selling point.
Today there are many smart-phones (from:Samsung,LG,Nokia etc) that have better Hardware specs than the iPhone, but still the iPhone sells like hot cake.
the simple reason being that the Apps plays a major role in the decision to buy a smartphone.
Nokia either needs to adopt Android or develop really Good (and in large numbers) Apps on the Windows Platform. Samsung saw the opportunity and ran with it, Nokia stood back and watched and waited, but they waited a bit too long :-? .
Hardware wise I trust a Nokia phone above samsung, LG, Motorolla hands down. what Nokia needs to do is come out with android phones and develop windows phones on the side or else it will be a bumpy ride for Nokia in the coming years.

R2K

In the Zone
@red dragon
Every OS has its flaws or demerits
Even the best one I have used -iOS has got quite a lot.
The funny thing is you don't come across those demerits until you play with it for a while

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
Today there are many smart-phones (from:Samsung,LG,Nokia etc) that have better Hardware specs than the iPhone, but still the iPhone sells like hot cake.
This is not entirely true, iPhone 4S has most powerful GPU of all of smartphones. Its twice as fast as Maali-400MP4 on SGS2, which is probably the best in android right now. Considering the high resolution, they would needing such a powerful GPU but its the best in the market.
Apple does have more control over designing hardware, software, applications than the fragmented android.

I think Nokia will survive only if they realize that software is as much important as hardware. They really need to shift focus from hardware to software which would be difficult for them because of their legacy. If they take and implement that decision well(assuming they do not adopt Android), Nokia would not require much time to regain the top spot.

Many other hardware vendors have succeeded on top of Android, if Nokia follows that path they would be just like others. But to walk alone they need courage and IMO MS is not their best counterpart.

Nokia would have survived if they would'nt have ditched their OS Meego. If they have taken Meego seriously just like the way google took Android. Nokia would have remained at top

Let WP mature enough, it will leap Android for sure. Nokia is Nokia.

WP8 Apolly definately will be a better OS and will give very good competition to Android and IOS

Nokia needs a wind of change, they still dominate the low end market to a large extent. But when it comes to Smart-phones they have lost their way.
A couple of years ago (up-till 2007 to be precise) the Hardware alone of played a major role in deciding a Great cellphone So, Nokia Ruled with its N-series:lol:, but then along came iPhone:cool: with its touch interface and Apps. The initial success of iPhone can be attributed to its hardware (capacitive touch), but later on it was the Apps that were its major selling point.
the simple reason being that the Apps plays a major role in the decision to buy a smartphone.
Nokia either needs to adopt Android or develop really Good (and in large numbers) Apps on the Windows Platform. Samsung saw the opportunity and ran with it, Nokia stood back and watched and waited, but they waited a bit too long :-? .
Hardware wise I trust a Nokia phone above samsung, LG, Motorolla hands down. what Nokia needs to do is come out with android phones and develop windows phones on the side or else it will be a bumpy ride for Nokia in the coming years.

The reason for Apple's success is their gigantic marketing engine, making the end user believe that they can't live without apple products

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
Unless Nokia ditches symbian and come up with android there is no way they can survive in today's market. Its ridiculous why it is still not adopting Android which definitely is the future of mobile OS considering the jaw-dropping speed at which its user base is increasing.
Nokia is still adamant, wants to fight android & apple, believing they can carve out their own smartphone ecosystem. Android itself is filled with competition already, will be difficult to compete with Samsung and still make some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom