VLC 2.0 Released

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
one of the best audio player ( I play video with other app ) with minimal resource use IMO - Still using ver 1.01 - time to upgrade ;-)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I praise VLC for all the reasons mentioned before.
However there's one problem I found in TwoFlower. IDK whether something's wrong with my OS but it hasn't been on the previous versions.
Whenever I open some movie/video file, on moving the mouse slightly the video starts lagging and sometimes the video stops while audio keeps playing. I have to move the seek bar and leave the mouse to get it right.
Anyone seem to have this problem?

PS - Still happy for VLC for reaching v2 and improved GUI.

Probably a broken index in the video you are trying to play...unless it happens in every video.

Also, I noticed that I am unable to drag and drop vids into the VLC window to play them. Anyone else facing this problem?

tkin

Back to school!!
Probably a broken index in the video you are trying to play...unless it happens in every video.

Also, I noticed that I am unable to drag and drop vids into the VLC window to play them. Anyone else facing this problem?
Nope, I'm having sound issues, like this:
The volume control seems to have been designed by the same people whose job it is to make the temperature control on showers. You know how you've got about 300° of rotation but the first 140° are ice cold and the last 140° are like lava? So it is with the volume control VLC, upto 50% its low, above that very high, it seems my listening sweetspot is gone :cry:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

^_^

The volume control seems to have been designed by the same people whose job it is to make the temperature control on showers. You know how you've got about 300° of rotation but the first 140° are ice cold and the last 140° are like lava? So it is with the volume control VLC, upto 50% its low, above that very high, it seems my listening sweetspot is gone :cry:

You'll get used to it. ;)

It will probably get resolved in the following updates.

Edit: You can also try tweaking the system volume and your speaker/headphone volume (if any) to get the desired output.

Also, please tell if anyone is able to play stuff via drag and drop.

(666th post \m/)

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
^_^

You'll get used to it. ;)

It will probably get resolved in the following updates.

Also, please tell if anyone is able to play stuff via drag and drop.
I can play via drag and drop.

Edit: On windows 7 x64.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Drag and Drop works for me with VLC in Arch Linux.

Not anything weird in Volume Control either for me.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was browing images in rar archive and playing a video (ISO inside rar file) which was not finished downloading and was in 4 parts.

Pretty awesome.

Neo

Yes there is an audio issue with it on windows 7 x86 .

^^ new that is awesome. ;)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
To those who are experiencing audio issues, this might throw some light.

In previous versions of VLC, we could only increased volume to 100% through the UI, and then could increase it further to 200% through mouse's scroll wheel. In this version, we can now adjust volume to 200% right from the UI. And since now we can increase volume to 200% directly, it is looking as if it is increasing in logarithmic fashion.

I think this is something we would get used to eventually.

tkin

Back to school!!

In previous versions of VLC, we could only increased volume to 100% through the UI, and then could increase it further to 200% through mouse's scroll wheel. In this version, we can now adjust volume to 200% right from the UI. And since now we can increase volume to 200% directly, it is looking as if it is increasing in logarithmic fashion.

Awesome find dude, that's it.

Terabyte

In the zone
The volume control seems to have been designed by the same people whose job it is to make the temperature control on showers. You know how you've got about 300° of rotation but the first 140° are ice cold and the last 140° are like lava? So it is with the volume control VLC, upto 50% its low, above that very high,
Same issue here! :-(
tkin said:
it seems my listening sweetspot is gone :cry:
Ditto! :wah:

Terabyte

In the zone

In the previous version, we could increase the volume to 200% through UI.
What was the exact version which you were using previously?

tkin

Back to school!!
In the previous version, we could increase the volume to 200% through UI.
What was the exact version which you were using previously?
I am sure I could only increase it to 100% via the UI in version upto 1.1.11, after 100% it would go up but the UI would show till 100%, from 100-200% was shown in OSD, not the UI.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@tkin: Exactly dude, thanks for explaining!

Btw, @Terabyte: I think I have found a great explanation to this new volume slider here: Case study: videolan’s volume control | GoodSense - Hunting Ergonom'Hiccups

Videolan is a really popular Open Source multimedia player. In it’s most recent versions, the interface has been redesigned with the Qt Toolkit and introduces a new audio volume control.

This control now provides the ability of amplifying sound, which is more than just setting up output levels. It ranges from 0% up to 200% (+3dB). While this might be really useful for some DVD or bad audio tracks, this initial design brings many problems.

Users can’t set precisely the volume to 100% without applying amplification.

The 100% level is not materialized in any way in the control and the user has the only option to slide volume approximately until it reaches 100%. Aiming at the right level is difficult and going too far triggers amplification.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Its the right explanation, either too high or too low.