Ubuntu Gutsy to be released today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I tried two times approx 15/20 minutes wait at 82%. Computer not hanged, I think the installation is hang. cos during the live CD session other activity I can do, like net connection and writing this thread etc. However just now I have reinstalled Kubuntu 7.04 in other partition , keeping the 82% installation. After installation of 7.04 when I restart , in the grub it shows ubuntu 7.10 and while I try to boot onto that it is not booted with a msg "invalid media" something like this. Again I rebooted in 7.04 and it started. Is there any way to repair that half done installation.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
skghosh44 said:
After re-burning the live kubuntu CD I tried to install the Distro and fails installating after 82%. This time without msg. There is no CD ROM/HDD activity in the installation point. Now I donot even boot into Windows Also due Grub err -15. I am writing these thread from Kubuntu 7.10 live CD.
Please advice me now what to do.
Here is the unedited screenshot
*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t1273570_snapshot1.png
Run ubiquity in debug mode and post the log here

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Please go through the thread sl no-83 Now please tell me is there any way to repair the 7.10 by booting through 7.04. Both os are in seperate partitions.

If I run "ubiquity" in kubuntu 7.04 the msg appear " ubiquity not installed"
and in 7.10 there is no scope to run this command.

Please Note : Kubuntu 7.10 installation
While installing progress bar 82%, configuring apt, scanning the mirror (refer screen shot). after waiting 15/20 mnts I closed the popup window by clicking the X button and shutdown the system.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
^^
It is trying to scan mirrors...i think you should disable your net connection and wait for 15 min
on my old P3 this step took 30 min or so

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
ChaiTan3 said:
^^
It is trying to scan mirrors...i think you should disable your net connection and wait for 15 min
on my old P3 this step took 30 min or so
I have tried 2 times and the DSL modem was on but not connected to the net. My system is P4 2.4 Ghz MSI 845GE (intel chipset) mobo.) Now I fear to reinstalling it because because, if unsucessful I will loose the Grub boot loader and again I have to reinstall 7.04. Today the whole day I am doing these things.
Thank gods today is puja holiday.

praka123

left this forum longback
happy Birthday to u.
i think after sometimes it can finish kubuntu installation,wait for an hour even,move ur mouse in btwn,i have seen several install which hangs at 80% etc and finishes after sometime morethan half an hour sometimes.if the kubuntu cd fails.there is this way of using CLI based stable Debian installer which is available only in kubuntu alternate CD :(

Grub can be restored,provided u have a distro installed.for windows,u can use fixmbr in rescue CLI to rewrite MBR.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes, the repositories are *very* slow right now.. Its better if you switch off your modem and try.. Also try switching virtual terminals (ctrl+alt+F1 to F8) to see what's going on.. Also try the alternate CD if the desktop CD fails always..

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
@praka123
Grub can be restored,provided u have a distro installed.for windows,u can use fixmbr in rescue CLI to rewrite MBR.

Yes after failing 7.10 again I installed 7.04 and it is running. Now while booting there is choice of option for OS 1)Kubuntu 7.04, 2)Win Xp and 3)Kubuntu 7.10. If I select 3rd after some system config it stopped with msg something like "invalid media". On booting through 7.04 I checked the media sda10 where 7.10 installed, there its shows 2.2 gb used space which are all files relating to Kubuntu 7.10 Distro. Now is there any way/command to fix this installation through the existing 7.04.

praka123

left this forum longback
do u have enough space for a default linux install?5-6GB?try re-installing.I hope u can complete.remove the half installed 7.10 using qtparted(u can see in synaptic) or while installing 7.10.try switching off the modem or any usb devices connected and reinstall 7.10 kubuntu.

edit:since u have 7.04 u can upgrade to kubuntu 7.10 possible?see
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Updates_and_Upgrades

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
kalpik said:
Also try the alternate CD if the desktop CD fails always..
I have no alternate CD, I think there is no such option in the live CD. Seperate download is not possible for me. I am so so confused whether I will try for 3rd time ? If again fail !!!!!

praka123

left this forum longback
NOT needed,scanning mirrors are waisting time while in installer
:words taken off.

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
praka123 said:
do u have enough space for a default linux install?5-6GB?try re-installing.I hope u can complete.remove the half installed 7.10 using qtparted(u can see in synaptic) or while installing 7.10.try switching off the modem or any usb devices connected and reinstall 7.10 kubuntu.

edit:since u have 7.04 u can upgrade to kubuntu 7.10 possible?see
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Updates_and_Upgrades
Yes space is available.
Upgrade is not possible because I have to first update Kubuntu 7.04(230 mb) and then to upgrade which is 695 mb. During Beta release of 7.10 I updated 7.04. These updates I loose during installation 7.10 over 7.04.

praka123 said:
remove modem,usb things wait for one hour(patience)..it will finish.
Are u sure, confirm, shall I try again ? If fail I have no option to boot the system except the Kubuntu/ubuntu live CD or to reinstall 7.04. Is it possible to fix the grub through live CD or installation without erasing the existing grub.

Last edited:
OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
GX, we are suggesting that since Ubuntu repos are being badly hammered right now! Im sure they'd be gone by now if they were runnign windows. So we are suggesting what we are suggesting so that it doesnt look for updates during install..

praka123

left this forum longback
gx_saurav said:
Not to troll here, but wow...what an easy way to install an OS :D

[/sarcasm]
installation is easy.but this is kubuntu,the kde one whose installer seems a little buggy.everything cannot be 100% perfect.ur troll nullifies here where we are try to help a senior person to have the system installed.

@skghosh:the 82% bug in kubuntu:
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579920
^^^Read this
click on the networkmanager applet in the upper right corner and disable network...
or unplug you Ethernet cable
that is what we all suggested :confused: @ghosh do try this disable network thing in ur kde live session.
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3567067

I am taking of my words for waiting for 1 hour and remove apps connected.it may not be necessary.also to @gxsaurav.

Last edited:

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I am waiting for Linux Mint version of 7.10. But I am really happy with my current mint cassandra. Will keep it till I manage to mess it up.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Congratulation praka123 and all other who help me for successfull installation of the latest Kubuntu gutsy gibbon on my system. Today I successfully installed the disto. Now I have to do other config. such as knetstat, audio/video codec, adept manager update etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.