Ubuntu Gutsy to be released today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
praka123 said:
do this: "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lokkit"
u have not installed lokkit.
yes."whereis" is a command to search installed bins.
You are 100% correct. I think there was something wrong with the previous lokkit installation and it was not installed. Just before opening this thread I installed the same and configured it as "High".
Today I also installed "Syneptic Manager" as it is easy to handle. I little confused to navigate through default "Adept Manager". All the package list installed/not installed are automatically shown in the "Syneptic Manager".
Which folders contain the all programme file ??

praka123

left this forum longback
*warning* -dont mess with the files as "sudo" or root user.
Linux equivalent to "Program Files" directory in windows for most distributions is /usr/lib/pkgname.
at one time,only one of this can only work-apt-get in terminal or adept or synaptic.
as ur using kubuntu u must know that kde is different and more windowish.but it is written with Trolltech's "qt" library.while Gnome and majority of gui softwares are based on GTK+2 and is a project of Free Software Foundation.
if ur using gtk2 apps like synaptic,do "sudo apt-get install gtk-qt-engine" for looking native,else will look like faded,high contrast.
reason:
*kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/myth/68

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Thanks praka123
I think "gtk-qt engine" by default installed with Kubuntu gutsy
Hence running the command below msg appears.
sudo apt-get install gtk-qt-engine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gtk-qt-engine is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
How to installs ubuntu/kubuntu pakages those who have no net connection(BB). From where they will get these pakages?? Because I wish to install ubuntu one of my friends PC. He is interested, But he has no net connection.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Thanks prakash. I have past my 2 days holiday + sunday with this kubuntu/ubuntu.
Got a few idea of these distros, now I think I may install these two distro to any one PC with net connection and printer installation + extra pakage installation,
Thanks once again.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
Just installed Gutsy. Its simply great. The Appereance section is nice.
Have only one problem: a bounding "input not supported" box while the spash screen is displayed

azzu

AJJU
^^ just installled Mint kooler than thught
i alway's scolded my CPU but now i know that's not my hardware's fault its MICROSOFT FAULT
LINUx open source and FAST

praka123

left this forum longback
harddisk spinning too much for laptop users?!

Not to FUD even i am NOT a victim of this bug which can be in other linux distros, which perhaps windows vista or other operating systems too have, but going unnoticed:

Explanation of Ubuntu Hard Drive Wear and Tear

This problem seems to be limited to laptop mode. Read This if you want to see how to tell if you're affected.

A recent bug report for Ubuntu Linux has confirmed that both the Feisty and Gutsy versions of Ubuntu cause some unnecessary wear and tear on a hard drive. The bug report reads:
“I run feisty (beta) on a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 hard drive. After booting, the drive's power management settings are such that it spins down A LOT. To give you some statistics: the drive is rated for 600,000 load/unload cycles, and after 2.5 months of running Feisty I'm already at more than 56,000 load/unload cycles (and only 150 power cycles), according to the SMART data. At this rate the drive will be dead after 2.5 years, and I don't even use this computer for more than a couple of hours each day.”
Definitely an interesting sounding find. But what exactly does it mean? That's what I thought when I read it, so I did a little research. Feel free to comment and correct me if I've gotten anything wrong.
Load/Unload refers to a device that controls the position of the sliders on a hard drive. If you think about a hard drive as an old fashioned record player, the platters of the hard drive would be the record, while the sliders on the hard drive would be the needle. The only difference here is that the sliders never actually make contact with the platters. Instead, an air current provided by the platters rotating keeps the slider and the platter apart by a precise distance known as the flying height. Significant damage to the disk could occur if the slider was in contact with the platter during a sudden jarring moment (like dropping your laptop). To provide a bit of safety in mobile applications (and in some cases desktop as well) load/unload technology was introduced. Essentially, there is a small device that moves the slider off the platter. When data needs to be accessed, the sliders position themselves back over the platters and make contact with them only once they’ve reached the proper rotational speed.
To apply what we’ve just learned, the drive reported has a life span of 600,000 load/unload cycles before the precisely machined tolerances in the drive begin to deteriorate. Somewhere along the line, the drives are being asked to spin down very frequently. These are factors controlled by a power management utility within the drive called Advanced Power Management, or apm, and are dictated by Ubuntu after boot-up. The problem is simply that the drives are spinning up and down too often, and the sliders are being forced to roll on and off the ramp where they’re stored when in off use, causing wear and tear on the slider assembly (not to mention the motor spinning the drive).
The solution, as the original poster pointed out, is relatively simple:
“The fix?
hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
and the spinning-down stops. I don't know what certain other OSes do with their drives at bootup, but the current behaviour is certainly deadly for the drive. Worse: nobody will notice, since smartmontools aren't installed by default. I noticed frequent clicking sounds earlier, but I didn't think those were spindowns since I hadn't specifically set the drive into any low-power mode. I only noticed this by accident after I got smartmontools working.”
What does that command do? Let’s break it down.
hdparm: This is a linux command designed to fetch and set certain attributes of ATA/IDE hard drives.
The -B: Set Advanced Power Management feature, if the drive supports it. A low value means aggressive power management and a high value means better performance. A value of 255 will disable apm on the drive.
and /dev/sda is obviously the disk drive in question.
A relatively simple fix for a somewhat complicated problem. The only issue here is that battery life will be adversely affected, however that’s better than having a hard drive that’s dead two years after you bought it. It will be interesting to see how the Ubuntu team decides to handle this. As of yet, the trouble ticket is unassigned.

source and read full with comments on:
*www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanation-ubuntu-hard-drive-wear-and-tear

ubuntu launchpad ticket:

Bug #137420 in Ubuntu: “hard disk power management after resume”

Gibbon monkeys around with web access

By Kelly Fiveash
Published Wednesday 24th October 2007 15:31 GMT

*ad.doubleclick.net/clk;39093442;13533154;c?*www.jobsite.co.uk/Ubuntu fanboys have been crying into their beers after discovering internet connection problems with Canonical's latest open source Linux distribution operating system, dubbed the Gutsy Gibbon.
The latest version (7.10) of the increasingly popular free OS, which launched last week, was punted to the masses by Ubuntu as being "delivered on a stable, easy to use and learn platform".
But one reader contacted El Reg telling us that he had no choice but to revert back to Ubuntu 7.04 to get his computer working online, because of issues with IPv6 implementation and DHCP-handling.

Indeed, a look at Ubuntu's community forum suggests that both the upgrade and install of Gutsy Gibbon have been causing big headaches among the Linux-loving crowd.

Many HP and Sony users have also experienced hardware support issues with the upgrade complaining that the latest version is less compatible than its predecessor, Feisty Fawn.

Our reader told us that Gutsy Gibbon's internet access "whether by wireless; ethernet or USB DSL modem is either impossible without some deft work at the CLI [Command Line Interface] or is incredibly slow (mostly from delay in resolving DNS)".

While blogger Wille Faler, who pointed out that many routers do not support IPv6, has offered a possible "work-around" for a problem he described as being a "big flaw in Linux's handling of DNS-servers".
We put a call into Canonical to see why Ubuntu's Gibbon was not all that funky when it came to connecting to the internet, but no one was available to provide a comment.

spam or real? :confused: and am yet to install gibbon :eek:
source:
*www.theregister.com/2007/10/24/ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_ipv6/

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
I installed kubuntu 7.10
Did the partitioning, installed grub loader and all. While restarting I removed the Cd.

It directly went into windows. The copying files part took more than 20 mins. Where is it installed? How do I get into it?

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
I'm getting this error after installing compiz config
Where am I going wrong?

Whatever I select among these options, I am getting the same error. Could it be a VGA driver problem? *tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6fptxl0&s=1

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@QwertyManiac
My Graphics chipset is VIA K8M800 *www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8m800/

I don't know if the restricted drivers for it are installed. How to find out?

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@praka123

So what did you do? Buy a gfx card?

Can I compile and use this driver for VIA K8M800 in Gutsy Gibbon?

*snipurl.com/1t40n

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@deepakchan:the solution is to use *openchrome.org driver.yes,u need to compile and install.but its not so tough in this case.see below guide.
do a sudo apt-get update
and follow:
*help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome
search this forum.i too used VIA board.now shifted to a intel 915GV+xfx 7300GT card for ease.
but openchrome does a good job by giving quality drivers.search their mailing lists and site wiki for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom