The Windows Mobile Thread

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I hope you are aware that the messenger is currently integrated right into the messaging hub, right ?

Personally, that was a great feature for me - couldnt care less about stickers and stuff, the integration was top-notch when it worked

Totally aware. But, like you said.... no stickers. And you know today's girls, every other message is a sticker. :p :lol:

Plus, I loved the FB Messenger app ever since I laid eyes on it. :mrgreen:

ithehappy

Human Spambot

It was pretty strong on the L920, so much that it produced a small rattling sound once in a while and needed a firmware update to make it sound better. That being said I have no idea what your benchmark for acceptable vibrate performance is...
Great. Rattling vibration, that's what I want. While using these Samsung top end line for past three/four years that's the thing I am missing throughout this period, faint vibration, I can't feel while it's in my pocket, that caused me so many missed calls. I just want the good old rattling vibration back, that buzzing strong vibration which literally did shake your pocket :p
Thanks for your reply mate.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Great. Rattling vibration, that's what I want. While using these Samsung top end line for past three/four years that's the thing I am missing throughout this period, faint vibration, I can't feel while it's in my pocket, that caused me so many missed calls. I just want the good old rattling vibration back, that buzzing strong vibration which literally did shake your pocket :p
Thanks for your reply mate.

:D

Do check it yourself personally if you can. :)

Not fully accurate.. The ISP in the S800 is slightly better than the one in the L1020 right now, but at 21MP, its still just halfway mark of what it needs to be. Only the S805 will finally get that number up to 51MP, and its gonna take time to be in the market. In short, irrespective of what MS did, the L1020 couldnt be the phone we wanted it to be, not even if it ran android and S800. Which is why I cannot blame MS for it.

On the other hand MS has been slow, without a doubt, but if the WP8.1 is indeed as good as it seems to be, I'd be much more willing to forgive, its a massive-looking update.

What would you say about the ISP of SD 801, which has 41% better image processing algorithm than 800, Mr. Pranav Mukharjee?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

What would you say about the ISP of SD 801, which has 41% better image processing algorithm than 800, Mr. Pranav Mukharjee?

Still not enough. ~40% better than 20 mp isnt much closer to 40mp. Gotta wait for the S805 => 50mp support. That is assuming the next one want to get rid of the obnoxious shot-to-shot lag. Else even the S800 is fine - only keep hacking it up more and more.

Still not enough. ~40% better than 20 mp isnt much closer to 40mp. Gotta wait for the S805 => 50mp support. That is assuming the next one want to get rid of the obnoxious shot-to-shot lag. Else even the S800 is fine - only keep hacking it up more and more.

Megapixel isn't everything. Even if your smartphone has 20MP camera with a sensor big enough to capture 3X lossless zoom, good images under normal lightening as well as low light, with no noise or softness, then its good. I used my colleagues iPhone 5s, and Onething that I like about it was that I could continously take pictures with hardly a lag of .5 seconds. Can the image sensor of SD 801 can take burst shot pictures of 20MP without loosing the quality or focus?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Megapixel isn't everything. Even if your smartphone has 20MP camera with a sensor big enough to capture 3X lossless zoom, good images under normal lightening as well as low light, with no noise or softness, then its good. I used my colleagues iPhone 5s, and Onething that I like about it was that I could continously take pictures with hardly a lag of .5 seconds. Can the image sensor of SD 801 can take burst shot pictures of 20MP without loosing the quality or focus?

I dont intend to mean megapixel is everything - it isnt. But the L1020 sensor has 40 MP which needs to be processed per image and therefore the need for high MP processing per second from the processor.

Lossless zoom, as in its implementation in the L1020, is a function of the number of megapixels in the sensor, and not of sensor size.

Shot to shot time is a combination of various smaller time periods, the chief of which are
1. Time to lock focus
2. Time to apply post processing
3. Time to completely flush the image buffer into the internal/external memory

In most phone cameras 1,2,3 all take comparable amount of time. But since a full shot from the L1020 sensor has 40 megapixels to process and the the processor is not able to handle it generally, Nokia had to hack the ISP pipeline of the processor to make it able to process the massive files. this meant that the processing of the image took a lot longer than 1. The side effect of large sensor (but unrelated to the processor's ability to process it) is the longer time it takes to flush the entire image into the memory, so that the buffer is ready to hold a fresh image (More MB == more time to copy).

So you see that the way to improve the shot to shot duration of the L1020 is not easy since to do that you have to improve both 2 and 3. 2 can be helped by giving it a better processor (thats why you need the 805) and 3 by using faster internal memory. But here is the catch - faster internal memory is also more expensive and in any case at 40MBps speed, you are going to have a hefty premium => even more expensive than it already is. There is a way to get sround this - use more than one buffer to hold the image, and use them alternatively - which is exactly what I think Nokia is using in the L1020 (Now you see why it has 2GB of RAM ?).

Some of the stuff here is speculation, but not a blind rant. Do you now get it why I am skeptical of Nokia's L1020 successor being not in the horizon any time soon ?

1. => Faster processor can help.
2. => Faster processor can help.
3. => Not much can help outside of increased bufferring. Over time as faster memory becomes cheaper, you can see this part improve.

801 should be able to do decent shsot to shot speed on par with regular android phones with the same specs. However it may or (more probably) may not match the shot to shot speeds of the Iphone 5s. The Iphone 5s has a much faster processor, one thats got a huge memory throughput and very fast cores. (If you want to know how this is possible, thats because they dont care about the silicon die space/# of cores as much as the others. More die area + less cores == large but faster cores and more memory bandwidth). I have oversimplified a lot of stuff here (and completely avoided mentioning some) but that should be enough for now. Clear hai ? :D

Last edited:

sandynator

Cyborg Agent

The alarm doesn't power up the phone in windowsphone 8 :(
Can we get this basic feature in 8.1 update?

I dont intend to mean megapixel is everything - it isnt. But the L1020 sensor has 40 MP which needs to be processed per image and therefore the need for high MP processing per second from the processor.

Lossless zoom, as in its implementation in the L1020, is a function of the number of megapixels in the sensor, and not of sensor size.

Shot to shot time is a combination of various smaller time periods, the chief of which are
1. Time to lock focus
2. Time to apply post processing
3. Time to completely flush the image buffer into the internal/external memory

In most phone cameras 1,2,3 all take comparable amount of time. But since a full shot from the L1020 sensor has 40 megapixels to process and the the processor is not able to handle it generally, Nokia had to hack the ISP pipeline of the processor to make it able to process the massive files. this meant that the processing of the image took a lot longer than 1. The side effect of large sensor (but unrelated to the processor's ability to process it) is the longer time it takes to flush the entire image into the memory, so that the buffer is ready to hold a fresh image (More MB == more time to copy).

So you see that the way to improve the shot to shot duration of the L1020 is not easy since to do that you have to improve both 2 and 3. 2 can be helped by giving it a better processor (thats why you need the 805) and 3 by using faster internal memory. But here is the catch - faster internal memory is also more expensive and in any case at 40MBps speed, you are going to have a hefty premium => even more expensive than it already is. There is a way to get sround this - use more than one buffer to hold the image, and use them alternatively - which is exactly what I think Nokia is using in the L1020 (Now you see why it has 2GB of RAM ?).

Some of the stuff here is speculation, but not a blind rant. Do you now get it why I am skeptical of Nokia's L1020 successor being not in the horizon any time soon ?

1. => Faster processor can help.
2. => Faster processor can help.
3. => Not much can help outside of increased bufferring. Over time as faster memory becomes cheaper, you can see this part improve.

801 should be able to do decent shsot to shot speed on par with regular android phones with the same specs. However it may or (more probably) may not match the shot to shot speeds of the Iphone 5s. The Iphone 5s has a much faster processor, one thats got a huge memory throughput and very fast cores. (If you want to know how this is possible, thats because they dont care about the silicon die space/# of cores as much as the others. More die area + less cores == large but faster cores and more memory bandwidth). I have oversimplified a lot of stuff here (and completely avoided mentioning some) but that should be enough for now. Clear hai ? :D

Even if they release a smartphone, which has cameara similar to 1020 with no camera hump. Its hardware specification should be
1) Design of Lumia ICON,
2) Processor SD 801 - 805
3) 3-4 GB RAM
4) 5.2 inch screen AMOLED screen with Gorilla glass 3
5) Dual speakers with clear and loud sound.
6) Music quality as good as iPhone 4s

It will be a dream device.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Even if they release a smartphone, which has cameara similar to 1020 with no camera hump. Its hardware specification should be
1) Design of Lumia ICON,
2) Processor SD 801 - 805
3) 3-4 GB RAM
4) 5.2 inch screen AMOLED screen with Gorilla glass 3
5) Dual speakers with clear and loud sound.
6) Music quality as good as iPhone 4s

It will be a dream device.

why do you need 4gb ram ?? just to talk-off??
i would prefer sapphire crystal display (harder than diamond) than GG3.

- - - Updated - - -

WhatsApp bringing

:twisted:

- - - Updated - - -

At last. .. . . .

a facebook effect ;)

Background wallpapers will be pleasant surprise, who update whatsapp without knowing about this feature.
I expect the background wallpapers for WP8.1 too!

I too wish that they use sapphire display instead of GC3. But that will increase the cost by significant amount

- - - Updated - - -

By talking about sapphire glass, we are going too far, I would love to have grapheme. But its not possible in current generation smartphones.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

I too wish that they use sapphire display instead of GC3. But that will increase the cost by significant amount

- - - Updated - - -

By talking about sapphire glass, we are going too far, I would love to have grapheme. But its not possible in current generation smartphones.

if that was the case, what about ubuntu edge (a 32k phone with sapphire crystal display and exceptional hardware specs)-(it failed because of the lack of funds received.).

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

When will this whatsapp update come out of beta! :evil::-x
Last update was in Jan. Now it's March!

Flash

Lost in speed

*icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/win-phone-backrgounds-650x0.jpg

First look at Windows Phone 8.1 custom backgrounds | Digital Trends

DevYashN

New to this forum

If you are anyway connected to the Indore city, you've got to download this app..

it not only provides fast access to emergency helplines, also emphasizes on women safety..

4Indore+ | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Top Bottom