The Windows 8 discussion thread

sanjeev

Right off the assembly line
Microsoft Windows 8 build 7995 leaks out again with Video

Guys what is this all about i am so confused..plesae make me clear...

Source: Microsoft Windows 8 build 7995 leaks out again with Video which shows New Logon Process | tech news and updates

Vartul

Thit!I fogot my pathword!
Very disappointed with Windows 8 preliminary news. Then again, you can't expect something revolutionary from Microsoft. Better look to Cupertino for that. Ya, I know Macs are filthy costly, but atleast they are cool.

shantanu

Technomancer
@vartul : Please state some facts to support your statement ?

What are you dissapointed with ? The technology ? the UI ? The User friendly system ?

Then again, you can't expect something revolutionary from Microsoft
Really ?

I would have answered that if your post count was something above 20.

Vartul

@shantanu Does one need to be an Ice Age forum member to be a Digit veteran? . Well,I'll be polite- I'm disappointed with the UI, The technology, and the Unfriendly system. As for Microsoft, read its History, you'll find that it is a long time thief(and yes, their first theft was from Apple, namely-The GUI). you can find it in the fasttrack on Apple(a few years ago).So I don't expect Innovative Ideas from Microsoft.Am I an Apple FanBoy? No.They get lots of things wrong,but atleast they are original.
Also, I can't state facts, since all these are rumors, and there is nothing on the official site. I can't afford a mac and use Windows,but that doesn't mean i have to like it.
Perhaps I sound too Offensive.My Apologies.Any Aggression is not intended towards you.

shantanu

Technomancer
Windows 1.0 was the first OS to show color on a color monitor. MAC or any thing else was black and white till then.

Actually when talking about GUI - first it was PARC then it was followed with first GUI centric system for Xerox 8010 Star Information System. Both Apple and Microsoft UI system took their ideas from Xerox based system and IBM's common user access specification. So no one is a thief, it's technology.

In 1984, Multi-Tool Word was ported to the Apple's new Mac, and Microsoft has been publishing productivity software for the Mac ever since.

Microsoft released Excel 1.0 in 1985. Then it shipped PowerPoint 1.0 in 1987, which remained a Mac-only app until 1990.

Microsoft is still makes application for MAC and has been from the great history ever since.

What innovative ideas from Apple are you talking about ?

Well, I like MAC for some reasons. But you are talking about Microsoft as Windows and not as a company. Microsoft has a long list of products that Apple never built & commonly borrowed from Microsoft.

Well, I just want to say that Read the history right and don't accuse Microsoft for something they didn't do. Ofcourse you have a right to speak your open mind, but Talking about Windows 8 seems too early, as you haven't even seen a Beta.

PS : I know the Aggression is not for me :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, I know Macs are filthy costly, but atleast they are cool.
how so?

or should I say it's cool to hate Microsoft?
(and yes, their first theft was from Apple, namely-The GUI). you can find it in the fasttrack on Apple(a few years ago).So I don't expect Innovative Ideas from Microsoft.
Personally I don't really care about 'theft' 'copying ideas' et cetera if it gives me a better product. Anyways, I'd like to know your views on Apple taking everything from FreeBSD & OpenSource community in general and only giving back WebKit. (noteworthy)

Vartul

This thread should be shifted to the fight club. ;)
I wrote a really long answer and closed the tab stupidly, so here is a short version-
Microsoft did steal from apple(parc made a deal in which apple got the sole rights for the GUI,Microsoft through clever lawyers annuled the copyright(They copied,Apple sued,they got an out of court settlement and pushed an innocent looking clause in the contract that they wont copy anything copyrighted by apple in Windows 1.0. Then they copied it in Windows2.0.Apple lost the copyrights.)) Read the fasttrack, or if you're still skeptical, then next I'll quote from the fasttrack.

As far as producing software for apple goes, I know about it. That doesn't mean Apple &Microsoft are chummies.
Innovative Ideas from Apple? Are you kidding me?
Here goes-Lisa,mac,macbook,Newton(the first pda),Ipod,Iphone,Ipad,webcams on laptops(Yep,an Apple first,everyone else followed suit), Multi touch Interfaces(not an apple first ,but they got it right.)
I'm not so daft to assume that Windows is Microsoft's sole product. There is Xbox lineup,Zune(which bombed),Halo series(alright, this one gets me drooling),The Office suite,SilverLight etc etc.

As for talking about Windows 8 too early, who started this thread? Definitely I didn't.

@ico- No,it isn't cool to hate Microsoft.I don't follow current fads,and I don't hate Microsoft.How can I, its a corporation, not an Individual.Its only that I like where Mr jobs is taking Apple, and I'm not too sure about the other Steve.
Better product? that is a personal opinion.
As for Webkit and freeBSD, I profess Ignorance.I've been somewhat out of touch with Digit and net these few years,so I'll be thankful if you intimate me about this.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better product? that is a personal opinion.
I made a general statement there not related to any operating system or product. :) Why argue about who copied what from whom? What does it exactly give us? Brownie points??
As for Webkit and freeBSD, I profess Ignorance.I've been somewhat out of touch with Digit and net these few years,so I'll be thankful if you intimidate me about this.
well, Mac OS X is actually powered by Darwin which traces its root back to FreeBSD. I mean, Apple is taking from these OpenSource projects and what is it giving back?

Atleast give us FLAC support in iPods and iTunes!!

PS: I'm a Mac OS X user.

Vartul

PS: I'm a Mac OS X user.

I envy you.
You're right about arguing abt copying.I wouldn't have responded so, but for that line by shantanu- "I would have answered that if your post count was something above 20. " Well, Shantanu, you may answer that, no matter my post count.
Also, Apple is no saint.When did you see them giving something off for free?
Darwin is based on BSD? I thought it was based on Unix, and both OS X and Linux borrowed from Unix. Well, Perhaps I got confused :C_rabbit:

shantanu

Technomancer
@vartul : Talking about innovation, Microsoft has a big line up of products that Apple can never get. I don't hate Apple, I like some products , but I am not a Fanboy.

The industry Leading software range from Microsoft is not new to anyone.

Apple makes software that only run on their hardware. Can you legally install a MAC on a PC ? but you can Install Windows on a MAC. Microsoft makes lots of products for mac and the platform is ever expanding. Windows 7, XP , Server line up, SQL server , VS , silverlight, Xbox, Zune, Windows Phone 7 etc etc are the products we can talk about.

As far as IPAD is concerned, Microsoft has the Tablet PC platform from ages back. Windows Mobile platform was there from pocket PC ages.
Microsoft Surface is something very innovative. Multi Touch in computing got a new dimension with Windows 7.
I don't want to comment on Steve Jobs as he is a success in my opinion. So is Steve Balmer.

I appologize if you felt about the 20 post statement, but many users whose post count is too low troll.

Vartul

No bad blood(since i'm no troll.) Geddit? No? Well alright, its a poor joke. I respect your opinion, and I'm no Microsoft Hateboy either(guess I just invented a word).End Of Discussion. :)

doomgiver

Warframe
i hope redmond is doing something drastic with win8. i dont want another vista.

if they had done a xp->win7, that would have been EPIC. but they bungled up vista, the win7-that-could-have-been

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I hope they should make IE 9 as default in it, along with JAVA and flash player. That would be great.
Inbuilt PDF reader! Hmmm. Looks like a progress in the right direction.
I hope Microsoft also think about a PDF printer as well.

shantanu

Technomancer
@doomgiver : it's so nice to know that your Windows 7 Installation comes with IE9 pre loaded. BTW which company makes your Windows ? Microsoft is it ? The Windows 7 I use comes with IE8 pre-loaded. & if you don't need IE , Go to control panel -> Programs and features -> Turn Windows features on or OFF -> uncheck Internet Explorer box and it gets turned off.

Many times I wonder people complaining about Windows and Products from Microsoft. How many of them use genuine software.

doomgiver

Warframe
@doomgiver : it's so nice to know that your Windows 7 Installation comes with IE9 pre loaded.

:shock: where did i say that?!?!?!

BTW which company makes your Windows ? Microsoft is it ? The Windows 7 I use comes with IE8 pre-loaded. & if you don't need IE , Go to control panel -> Programs and features -> Turn Windows features on or OFF -> uncheck Internet Explorer box and it gets turned off.

no thanks, i prefer it quick and dirty.:fc_bat:
*quietly opens control panel*

Many times I wonder people complaining about Windows and Products from Microsoft. How many of them use genuine software.

keep wondering baby:glass_babyeyes:

Top Bottom