Tablet as Laptop replacement 25k

I will be heading to Infosys Mysore soon, and laptops are not allowed there.(AFAIK)
So I am considering to buy a tablet (they are allowed).

1. Budget? 25k (can extend it)
2. Display type and size? 7 or 9 in I have never used a tablet before so I need help here
3. Preferred choice of brand? Apple or a good Android tablet
4. Preferred operating system? Android, iOS
5. Preferred connectivity options (wifi ,cellular+wifi)? wifi should do right ?
6. Primary use of tablet ? Internet surfing, reading, write some code
7. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? ipad, nexus 7
8. Any other info that you want to share?

I use an iPhone 4S. I will be using a keyboard with the tablet. Also I will have to code on it. I have seen compilers for android, I don't know whether iOS has it. Or Maybe available on Cydia.
how is tata photo+ speeds & plans at mysore.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
2. There is both compromise with 7 inch and 9 in/10 in. 7 inch is just too comfortable to use and better for reading and 10 incher is better for movies/pdfs lose precious screen estate choosing the 7 in.

5. I see that you already have iphone 4s. Why not just get a 3g sim and run hotspot from there instead of purchasing a tata photon dongle. Also, photon dongle cannot work with ipad.

8. IF i were you, i would get the HP Omni 10. Full fledged Windows 8.1, Full HD Screen and use the hotspot function of my phone. You dont have to bother with limitations of ios/android. Its available at 23.8k at ebay without coupons. Just do some research about the actual available space though as windows eats up lots.

HP Omni 10 32GB | eBay

And im assuming you are going as a fresher trainee to Mysore. You will have the best time of your life post college. No other company gives the kind of fresher experience infosys does in mysore :D

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I will be heading to Infosys Mysore soon, and laptops are not allowed there.(AFAIK)

2. Display type and size? 7 or 9 in I have never used a tablet before so I need help here

I use an iPhone 4S. I will be using a keyboard with the tablet. Also I will have to code on it. I have seen compilers for android, I don't know whether iOS has it. Or Maybe available on Cydia.
Since your choice entails to Android or iOS, why not buy a Digiflip Pro XT911 Tablet form Flipkart @ Rs.16k?
Another very good option is Notion Ink Cain (Windows 8.1) 2-in-1/hybrid which have an excellent Flip-cover cum keyboard,selling at Rs.20k only in Snapdeal.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

avoid all these other tablets,they will develop problems fast,some other people who have been burned will agree

i suggest you get the ipad mini 1 or the nexus 7
ipad mini 1 is the best tablet overall imho but it depends on your needs

since you mentioned you need something to code on,i highly suggest you get a dell venue pro 8
it has full windows 8.1 and will not disappoint
it is actually more like a laptop in tablet form and doesnt lose any functionality over a laptop something the ipad and nexus 7 cannot match

Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Price in India - Buy Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet 32 Online - Dell : Flipkart.com

Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Price in India - Buy Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet 64 Online - Dell : Flipkart.com

Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Price in India - Buy Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet 64 Online - Dell : Flipkart.com

for coding stay away from ios and android because it is rather buggy to use compliers etc
remote desktop however is an option but can be quite cumbersome

kg11sgbg

avoid all these other tablets,they will develop problems fast,some other people who have been burned will agree

i suggest you get the ipad mini 1 or the nexus 7
ipad mini 1 is the best tablet overall imho but it depends on your needs

since you mentioned you need something to code on,i highly suggest you get a dell venue pro 8
it has full windows 8.1 and will not disappoint
it is actually more like a laptop in tablet form and doesnt lose any functionality over a laptop something the ipad and nexus 7 cannot match

Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Price in India - Buy Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet 32 Online - Dell : Flipkart.com

for coding stay away from ios and android because it is rather buggy to use compliers etc
remote desktop however is an option but can be quite cumbersome

Please provide links and quotes,where HP omni10,Digiflip Pro XT 911 and the latest Notion Ink Cain have developed problems and "burned other people"!!!!
Never be biased towards a particular manufacturer,and treat all others as crapware. Notwithstanding, Nexus 7 and Dell Venue 8 Pro are excellent products,but that doesn't mean that these products from these manufacturers are bomb proof and error free.
Look all of us has given OP some choices and options,but it is HIS ULTIMATE choice,that will determine his purchase. I never force people to buy this or that,but options and various choices must prevail.
No hard feelings bro. and don't take it personal.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Please provide links and quotes,where HP omni10,Digiflip Pro XT 911 and the latest Notion Ink Cain have developed problems and "burned other people"!!!!
Never be biased towards a particular manufacturer,and treat all others as crapware. Notwithstanding, Nexus 7 and Dell Venue 8 Pro are excellent products,but that doesn't mean that these products from these manufacturers are bomb proof and error free.
Look all of us has given OP some choices and options,but it is HIS ULTIMATE choice,that will determine his purchase. I never force people to buy this or that,but options and various choices must prevail.
No hard feelings bro. and don't take it personal.

they have issues,especially digiflip
just see product reviews of their products
plus the higher price isnt justified when you can get a better tablet (nexus 7) for a bit more
plus future updates and after sales is a joke with digiflip

i never said HP omni 10 has issues,i didnt recommend it because it has only 32gb onboard and for 2k lesser dell offers a 64gb variant

notion ink cant be trusted
their adam tablet was loaded with issues
Notion Ink Launches Cain 2 in 1, A Hybrid Tablet-Laptop Combo For 19990 Exclusively On Snapdeal

its not about choices,its when some companies dont make proper products and you get better alternatives which are safer buys for the same price

after sales is better with asus,dell,acer and hp

@ op check out the acer iconia w4 as well if dell is above budget

Acer Iconia W4-820 Tablet Price in India - Buy Acer Iconia W4-820 Tablet 32 Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

Acer Iconia W4-820 Tablet Price in India - Buy Acer Iconia W4-820 Tablet 64 Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

Acer Iconia W4-821 Tablet Price in India - Buy Acer Iconia W4-821 Tablet 64 Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't understand how a laptop isn't allowed, but a tablet with keyboard is!?

If Tablets are allowed, can you buy a laptop from one of those ASUS Transformer laptops and keep only the screen part, and tell everyone it's a "tablet"? Won't they actually check whether it runs a "full fledge" version of Windows?

If answer is yes and if gadget like ASUS Transformer is also not allowed, then Nexus 10 with a keyboard it is. Acceptable size and with keyboard it will be like a netbook. 7"and 8" tablet will feel small once you start using it primarily for everything.

I have a Nexus 7 and for me the size is perfect since I also have a PC. But for you who will be spending a considerable amount of time on a tablet, 10" is the way to go.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
The Acer iconia 32 gb was available earlier at an incredible price of 32k for a very long time. Sad its now back to 20k. And its superior to dell venue pro in the aspect that it has a HDMI port so u can convert it into a full fledged desktop replacement and also it can directly power hard drives.

kg11sgbg

^ You are been suggested. Take your ultimate decision.

If screen display size(> 8" or 9") is your prime concern,then the excellent Nexus Products should be reconsidered. Otherwise take your plunge on google nexus.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Ok thanks for the reply guys.
I really appreciate the idea of a Windows tablet (never thought of it)
BUT I will there for a limited time (few months). So I don't want to invest in windows tablet.
after that i would have my laptop with me.
an android and iOS tablet would be beneficial for long term..
so please give suggestion on android and iOS tablets

dont worry about windows tablet vs android tablet, you can always run a VM or something and get full android app support on a windows tablet
still depends on your needs
i myself am thinking of getting a windows tablet soon,im done with android and ios tablets

OP
F

fz8975

Ok thanks for the reply guys.
I really appreciate the idea of a Windows tablet (never thought of it)
BUT I will there for a limited time (few months). So I don't want to invest in windows tablet.
after that i would have my laptop with me.
an android and iOS tablet would be beneficial for long term..
so please give suggestion on android and iOS tablets

- - - Updated - - -

does Windows tablets have x86/x64 cpu arch ?
if yes all that runs on PC will run on tablet ?

kg11sgbg

^YES,Windows based Tablet has x86 arch. which runs all apps. that run on normal windows desktop/laptop.

ankush28

Bazinga
WARNING: All compilers on Android/iOS SUCKS! Practically USELESS.

dont worry about windows tablet vs android tablet, you can always run a VM or something and get full android app support on a windows tablet
still depends on your needs
DO you think that current gen Windows tablets(especially ~25k-30k) can run any hypervisor program? LOL!

I don't understand how a laptop isn't allowed, but a tablet with keyboard is!?
Exactly :chinscratch:

$hadow

Geek in making
Acer launched a tablet with full windows 8 at IFA and recently the tab started selling for 200 USD

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
WARNING: All compilers on Android/iOS SUCKS! Practically USELESS.

DO you think that current gen Windows tablets(especially ~25k-30k) can run any hypervisor program? LOL!

Exactly :chinscratch:

any android VM is a piece of cake for any x86 cpu

- - - Updated - - -

Acer launched a tablet with full windows 8 at IFA and recently the tab started selling for 200 USD

depends on specs
the quad core atom is the minimum op should consider

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ Get OTG Y shaped splitter or Bluetooth keyboard+mice. This thing depends on which tablet you are buying.

OP
F

fz8975

Dell Venue 8 pro on geb eBay
Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB, Wi-Fi, 8in - Black rs 14656

Origina listing Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB Wi Fi 8in Black 884116137399 | eBay r $149 (~9k)

I don't think I should go for it, saw it so posted it here..

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^ Get OTG Y shaped splitter or Bluetooth keyboard+mice. This thing depends on which tablet you are buying.

yeah I too didn't believe it the first time.

You guys are right, I should buy a windows tablet.
can I get a mouse that can connect to the tab ?

a usb otg cable is usually included in the box or a full size port is also there on some tablets
you can always get an otg cable off flipkart for less than Rs100

- - - Updated - - -

Dell Venue 8 pro on geb eBay
Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB, Wi-Fi, 8in - Black rs 14656

Origina listing Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB Wi Fi 8in Black 884116137399 | eBay r $149 (~9k)

I don't think I should go for it, saw it so posted it here..

its a safe buy,dell venue pro is a very popular tablet

Top Bottom