Samsung Galaxy S II

ithehappy

Human Spambot
ICS source code is out. Custom ROM lovers can enjoy soon now...

Google finally releases Ice Cream Sandwich source code - GSMArena.com news

rishunny

Right off the assembly line
Hello, I am new to this thread and am considering to buy a new smartphone, (have been using a Nokia E72), I want to buy an android phone and I have zeroed down to Samsung Galaxy SII. But some issues about its battery life are trying to create hurdles in my decision, the display matter I guess can be resolved, so I would like you intelligent people to please suggest me on this. Also, you could suggest me some better models, I am an computer engineering student at the IIT. So, I am a hefty net user and also a music lover. Also, I apologise in advance if I have posted at the wrong thread. :) Please help me out.

aroraanant

Explorer
Hello, I am new to this thread and am considering to buy a new smartphone, (have been using a Nokia E72), I want to buy an android phone and I have zeroed down to Samsung Galaxy SII. But some issues about its battery life are trying to create hurdles in my decision, the display matter I guess can be resolved, so I would like you intelligent people to please suggest me on this. Also, you could suggest me some better models, I am an computer engineering student at the IIT. So, I am a hefty net user and also a music lover. Also, I apologise in advance if I have posted at the wrong thread. :) Please help me out.

I have also heard about some battery issue and almost every SII has some display issues.But if we see its features and performance then its a gr8 phone for 26K,but if one is spending such a huge then obviously these type of thing matters.So if you don't have any budget problem then you can have a look at HTC Sensation XE,a great phone with great specs.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Why this phone after this long! While Nexus Prime is almost there...!

There is no indication that Galaxy Nexus performs better than the Galaxy S II. The benchmarks are not overwhelmingly positive in favour of Galaxy Nexus and most of times Galaxy S II wins in terms of CPU and GPU performances. The camera on Galaxy Nexus is a joke compared to Galaxy S II and the panorama feature is not going to save it. And most important of them all is that Galaxy S II is also going to get Android.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
There is no indication that Galaxy Nexus performs better than the Galaxy S II. The benchmarks are not overwhelmingly positive in favour of Galaxy Nexus and most of times Galaxy S II wins in terms of CPU and GPU performances. The camera on Galaxy Nexus is a joke compared to Galaxy S II and the panorama feature is not going to save it. And most important of them all is that Galaxy S II is also going to get Android.
Well I don't know where you find that GS II outperforms Prime! Besides, buying a 7/8 months old phone makes no sense. And as Prime has a 5 mp camera that doesn't mean it is bad than GS II's 8 mp. 720P S-AMOLED Plus display is alone a big winner over GS II. NFC and blah blah are there too....

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well I don't know where you find that GS II outperforms Prime! Besides, buying a 7/8 months old phone makes no sense. And as Prime has a 5 mp camera that doesn't mean it is bad than GS II's 8 mp. 720P S-AMOLED Plus display is alone a big winner over GS II. NFC and blah blah are there too....

Well, one for quick example is in here Galaxy Nexus benchmarks show device to be near Galaxy S II

The initial benchmarks are based on Galaxy S II running builds of Gingerbread while Nexus runs ICS and that is not equivalent. Let ICS come to Galaxy S II and check the benchmarks again, it will definitely outperform Galaxy Nexus. Exynos is certainly more powerful than the TI OMAP chipset used on Nexus and Mali 400 easily outperforms the old PowerVR SGX540, which is a 4 year old relic and the same GPU that was used in the previous nexus phone.

Purchased the beast Galaxy S2, was using iPhone4 from quite sometime and was missing Android power, roms, kernels. First impression: its beauty. Hope to root soon.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any reason why most of the people are choosing this model?
Because Samsung has the "halo" and the "mindshare" lately.

I must tell you that this phone is not perfect by any means. Poor SQ compared to my 4 year old mobile, awkward placement of the speaker and a bit too big?

ajayritik

Technomancer
Because Samsung has the "halo" and the "mindshare" lately.

I must tell you that this phone is not perfect by any means. Poor SQ compared to my 4 year old mobile, awkward placement of the speaker and a bit too big?
By SQ I guess the Sound Quality and which is your old mobile referred to here?
^It drains the battery :(
Can live around this drawback.
Since this model is quite popular was wondering the reason for its huge demand.
Also how good is this for HD playback?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
• Not a single Samsung I've used had good audio. On GS there was at least better hardware given, but this Yamaha chip in GSII is utter crap.
• I don't give a damn about speaker placement as I forgot when the last time I switched mine to Ring profile. Let alone hearing music from it, I hate it badly actually.
• You can't blame its size. 4.27" is not small, so the device has to bigger. Beside, before purchasing you already know how big it is.
• Battery drain issue is related to Gingerbread, not the phone. Don't know if it will be sorted or not in ICS. This Android stuff still is blurry for me!
• Other than the above it's a great device. None taken on that and definitely a vfm.
And yes it does play HD files, by HD I mean 1080P, whatever you throw at it.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
By SQ I guess the Sound Quality and which is your old mobile referred to here?

Can live around this drawback.
Since this model is quite popular was wondering the reason for its huge demand.
Also how good is this for HD playback?
Previous mobiles were SE K790 and Nokia 5800.

HD playback? This is the best phone for videos. Plays everything.

Awkward placement of speakers is an issue. Sometimes I don't hear the phone ringing if it is kept on my bed.

Not really blaming the size. Didn't convey myself properly there. The egronomics. "It's only 8.5mm thick and soo light" sounds cool...but I'd have prefered if the phone had more thickness + weight. My friends/family don't handle it properly.