Not open for further replies.

tejaslok

Journeyman
@naino
does O1 has multi touch >??

@niraj
thanks for the video this one->
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWZwXVlv3Q

wow and sad, does gal 3 actually o/p 12.3 FPS in that qualcomm video and was it running on donut 1.6

@to all gal 3 owners did u experience that lag and wat abt the colours while playing that CAR game which the reviewer shows in the above video ?? and that game is played well in gal 5

Hrithan2020

In the zone
And Optimus One isn't very hi-res device either.

But, it has the minimum resolution that I can tolerate..Plus, the standard HVGA res would be compatible with all applications, I figure.

This is irrelevant point. We judge device on the basis of what it comes equipped with. In that case, the only advantage of O1 is the FroYo update, which G3 currently runs on Eclair.

Froyo, plus more RAM, subjectively better looks, physical buttons..You get the drift..

Swype version gets auto-updated with latest firmware. This is the advantage of built-in apps. Same goes for Think Free office. BTW, O1 doesn't have Swype.

I have Galaxy S (Swype 1.6 in the latest firmware), and AFAIK, the froyo update brings Swype version to 2.5 or so. (For which, I'll have to wait till the end of the month. The latest beta version is 2.6.47 or something. But, Swype being a system app, you need to root the device, then use Root Explorer
to delete files in certain folders etc.... Had it not been a system app, it would have been soo much easier, I figure ?

It doesn't OBJECTIVELY look better. Different people, different tastes.

Obviously, it is entirely subjective.(In fact, my entire post was a subjective one, I presume.) It is in my opinion, looking much better than Galaxy 3 .

How low-resolution is anywhere related with snappiness? Its funny that you have not used either device yet post such uninformed comments.

Not the "may" in my post. You know what that means, right? ;)
Anyway, hope niraj87 answered your question.

@niraj87,
You seem to be very active. Hope your exam went well ? Thanks, for your detailed posts. :) Open Gesture Pro sounds cool. Is it your primary homescreen nowadays?

BTW, SD means Standard Definition Videos. (Usually 720x480 or 854x480)..

Gollum

Collector
One thing what people misunderstand is that they can buy one phone and use the default apps of another later by installing them separately, sure you can do that but you are using up the internal memory. Whereas if the device comes pre installed with the said features then you will save up on memory space. Also default apps are optimized for the phone. Regarding speed i don't think it will be a problem if you are shifting from a slow phone.although the default android browser is the best it does not do justice to gprs users. So a third party software like opera will be more preferable.
One question to existing android users, is there any torrent client available?

One thing what people misunderstand is that they can buy one phone and use the default apps of another later by installing them separately, sure you can do that but you are using up the internal memory. Whereas if the device comes pre installed with the said features then you will save up on memory space. Also default apps are optimized for the phone. Regarding speed i don't think it will be a problem if you are shifting from a slow phone.although the default android browser is the best it does not do justice to gprs users. So a third party software like opera will be more preferable.
i know in froyo you can instal l apps on the memory card so its a big plus point for those who like to play with many apps.
why was i not thinking about that?
However I'm still keeping my hopes up for an update for g3. I have till january to decide.

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@tejaslok

Refer to 37th post of this thread, its my opinion towards advantages of O1 over G3.

For G3 over O1:
1. slightly better CPU, a mere difference of 67MHz.
2. better reliability as its samsung
3. better multimedia with customised music and video player and good loadspeaker output.

Guys plz help me find some more points to add in this :-|

Supports Wi-Fi 802.11n (Maybe helpful when transferring files? Though, with the standard microSD card speeds, I fail to see how.)and Bluetooth 3.0 (future proofing?,as Aditya11 stated).

Supports 16-million colors over 262-k colors,which (may possibly) help in better video and picture reproduction?.

Play SD videos well. (In the case of Optimus One,it looks as if it might not.(from some reviews.) Though not fully confirmed?)

I'm sure Aditya11 would have more to add. :)

Gollum

Collector
About the wifi and bluetooth. The indian version does not ha ave those.
If only lg played sd video i would definitely go for lg.
Oh did i forget to mention that i read comics on the phone. Low resolution would really hurt in that case. If only god damn nokia people used android for their hardware.

Aditya11

Journeyman
NainO said:
O1 has 160 more pixels per unit area compared to G3. These pixels really comes into count.
Iys actually funny that you are not ready to accept this fact.

That O1 has marginally more pixels IS a fact, but does that make the display actually look better, coupled with pathetic 256k color? *I* don't think so. The icons look boring and flat while the general display appearance isn't pleasing to the eyes.

NainO said:
O1 got
1. better built quality
2. better appearance
3. better RAM
4. android 2.2
5. physical buttons, which I think are better than capacitive ones.
6. better pixels, or better display
7. snappy performance

Post your opinion and i will comment on that too.

Better RAM, built-in 2.2 and hence supposedly snappy performance are the only points worth considering here, over which we have already debated in the last posts.

niraj87 said:
Dude, the lower the resolution, the snappier the performance (assuming the same CPU clock speed, here 600MHz on average), as the CPU requires to process less no. of pixels per sq.unit area.

This is true, theoretically. But any heavy-weight app, including games, IS gonna lag on both the phones, despite the resolution. For example, a ppt file with graphics will be a pain to edit on both the phones. You need higher frequency proccy for that. OTOH, for day-to-day apps we will not see an iota of difference in speeds as these apps do not lag on G3 anyways. Resolution isn't a factor here.

niraj87 said:
For the guy talkin abt Samsung G3 built-in apps, cam, gallery, music, here's a long lecture :

The camera on LG GT540 has loads of options, similar to a digicam, tho not quality, but the video capture is great. Havent u heard of camera apps like Camera Fx, Camera 360, Vignette, etc?

Abt Swype and a better inbuilt music player, we have Cubed, Winamp, PowerAmp, Mort player, MixZing, which rule the Android world rite now...I have all the apps on my GT540 n all of them latest versions and free of cost.

I have Swype, Samsung's Touch-Wiz launcher, Acer's Launcher, HTC widgets n the best of them all - Windows 7 launcher (which completely transforms my Android UI to Windows UI), Gesture Search for searching apps, contacts, music with gestures !! Loads of other launchers like Open Home n blah blah..with 3D icon drawers etc..All this without rooting my phone !!

What **** r u talkin abt those built-in apps in G3?

Number one mistake most newbies do is this: installing tons of apps to replace the default ones without proper research. Unoptimized and badly coded apps keep on hogging system resources even when not in use, keep on communicating with their home server, display tons of ads which is surefire way of eating your battery, depleting data usage plans and making the phone lag. Built-in apps are better managed by the OS, are generally speedy, offer better overall access control and unless they terribly lack on decent features, there is no need to replace them.

For example, consider theme replacement apps. So many users complain their phone lags when using Launcher Pro. What they forget is, the default TWLauncher is still running in the background and so your phone is doing double duty! Of course advanced users will not face such problems but for a new Android user, the built-in apps is the practical starting way. In case of Samsung phones, the music players are generally quite feature-rich anyways to think of other ad-supported bloatwares.

There is a reason why "good software bundle" gets a plus point in phone reviews.

niraj87 said:
The ONLY advantage of G3 over the GT540 is the Capacitive screen n multi-touch, else everything is similar.

And G3 has built-in Eclair and better Multimedia performance. Also, in this day and age, I find people advocating resistive touch screens over capacitive ones rather regressive. The touch sensation and quick action of Capacitive screen is irreplaceable and undoubtedly plays a huge part in the overall gaming and other touch-heavy app usage experience. Indeed, if your starting phone sports resistive touchscreen, you will feel it is best of the world.

niraj87 said:
Also, Optimus has a dedicated GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for playing high-res and 3D games,

Is there a source to confirm this?

niraj87 said:
or u like capturing videos, or if u plan to use the phone for reading pdf/doc/ppt/xls dont go for Galaxy 3, since it has low-res, which looks pixelated on zooming.

GT540 captures video VGA @17fps while G3 QVGA @15fps. How exactly G3 lacking here? And text does not look THAT pixelated on zooming. I use it daily with comfort.

Hrithan2020 said:
I have Galaxy S (Swype 1.6 in the latest firmware), and AFAIK, the froyo update brings Swype version to 2.5 or so. (For which, I'll have to wait till the end of the month. The latest beta version is 2.6.47 or something. But, Swype being a system app, you need to root the device, then use Root Explorer to delete files in certain folders etc.... Had it not been a system app, it would have been soo much easier, I figure ?

What? Once you upgrade the firmware thru Kies, all the apps gets auto-updated.

Hrithan2020 said:
Not the "may" in my post. You know what that means, right?

Yes, you implied that low-res 'may' or 'may not' affect performance, but, as seen from my reply above, I meant to ask if its wise to relate these two factors.

Gollum said:

Yes, there are a couple of apps. And yes, G3, the INDIAN version does have WiFi-n.

Hrithan2020 said:
I'm sure Aditya11 would have more to add.

You did a fine job already. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
Although I've become used to of shooting videos at 30fps@640x360 i really miss taking macro photos.
Once g3 gets froyo update lg will be left far behind. So for now both are at par.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@hrithan2020

thanx dude for helping out me...

@aditya

Is low colour density really a concern???
When a phone cant even display outline of images properly(due to low resolution), what the point of seeing saturated colours. G3 even cant display the outline of a circle properly...
And about icons looking boring and flat thing, i never felt N73 icons looked boring and flat as compared to my previous N82...
In my opinion, most of the people will prefer good resolution over good colour. Atleast i do prefer this...:)

And i agree that G3 performance will increase with froyo update but G3 will still be stucked with low resolution and low RAM...

Hrithan2020

In the zone
That O1 has marginally more pixels IS a fact, but does that make the display actually look better, coupled with pathetic 256k color? *I* don't think so. The icons look boring and flat while the general display appearance isn't pleasing to the eyes.

It seems, you find the lack of 16 million colors in Optimus One a major disadvantage. But, I personally find the lack of resolution a bigger issue. To each his own, I guess.

BTW, Android 2.1 supports only true 16-bit colors(65k colors,with dithering to 24-bits in some versions, possibly Galaxy 3) in both the browser and gallery. But, I for one, haven't seen anyone complain about it, in forums. (Probably, very few people find that a real issue?. I dunno).

Number one mistake most newbies do is this: installing tons of apps to replace the default ones without proper research. Unoptimized and badly coded apps keep on hogging system resources even when not in use, keep on communicating with their home server, display tons of ads which is surefire way of eating your battery, depleting data usage plans and making the phone lag.

Agreed completely with you. :) It seems to be the problem I am facing now with my GS (rooted with OCLF). I installed over 150 apps, and the phone did slow down considerably. (But not sure whether it is the RFS syncing issue, despite there being an EXT2 buffer. And again, this is an extreme case, I was testing the limits of my GS. ;) ).

Ideally, you should install only the apps, which you really need for daily operations. But, then what would be the fun, in having an android set ?..(IMO, entirely subjective..;) )

For example, consider theme replacement apps. So many users complain their phone lags when using Launcher Pro. What they forget is, the default TWLauncher is still running in the background and so your phone is doing double duty! Of course advanced users will not face such problems but for a new Android user, the built-in apps is the practical starting way. In case of Samsung phones, the music players are generally quite feature-rich anyways to think of other ad-supported bloatwares.

Could you please elaborate on that? No taskmanager seems to find TWLauncher running in the background? If you are referring to Samsung's entire UI, then yes ,(which runs a bit deeper than any launcher) , it runs in the background, but AFAIK, not directly conflicting with any functionalities provided by the TWLauncher.

And, it seems, many people find ADWLauncher to be much faster..

Music Player, I agree is awesome!! (Good for showing to friends ;) . But, I'd prefer an option to browse via folders also..). Video player is quite good. (Though I miss the mosaic search feature from the Wave..)

Also, in this day and age, I find people advocating resistive touch screens over capacitive ones rather regressive. The touch sensation and quick action of Capacitive screen is irreplaceable and undoubtedly plays a huge part in the overall gaming and other touch-heavy app usage experience.

Agree, completely. For a vast majority, I'd say Capacitive would be a much better option. (And in case, you are wearing gloves, you can always get a conductive stylus which works well on capacitive screens).

What? Once you upgrade the firmware thru Kies, all the apps gets auto-updated.

Yeah, but the problem is you'll have to wait till official firmware upgrades come. I'm running the latest firmware upgrade, that Samsung offers, but still, my Swype version is 1.6 . (TBH, I don't think the difference in version number, may make more difference. It'd be a collection of minor improvements. But, still, my point stands. You'll find it much easier to upgrade to latest versions..)

Yes, you implied that low-res 'may' or 'may not' affect performance, but, as seen from my reply above, I meant to ask if its wise to relate these two factors.

You agree, that at least theoretically, lower-resolution may lead to snappier performance right? That's exactly what I meant. I've spent like a couple of minutes using Galaxy 3 (in a shop), and haven't tried the Optimus One at all, so can't really say how it will really work out between those two sets...

@hrithan2020
thanx dude for helping out me...

You are welcome. :)

niraj87

Broken In
@hrithan
BTW, SD means Standard Definition Videos. (Usually 720x480 or 854x480)..
Oh..I see, my bad.

@aditya11
But any heavy-weight app, including games, IS gonna lag on both the phones, despite the resolution.

I said that on the basis of the GPU that the Optimus has, not based on the resolution, which was based on the benchmarking videos I had posted, that compared the G3 with G5 and LG Optimus with HTC Desire (1Ghz processor, 576MB RAM, 480x800pixels) in seperate videos, where the Optimus wins.

From these two videos, we can clearly see that the G3 produces 17fps while the Optimus GT540 produces 39fps in 1.6 n I tested it to have 44fps in 2.1..See the huge difference, which is why high-res gaming sucks on G3. I wonder what wud G3 users install over the SD card after the Froyo update, since the internal 170mb is enough for apps, while installing games on SD card makes no sense as they lag so much. That said, I'm not being biased against Samsung, but I seriously disliked the phone so much after watching those two youtube videos as well as the video capture quality, else the phone is kool.

Unoptimized and badly coded apps keep on hogging system resources even when not in use, keep on communicating with their home server, display tons of ads which is surefire way of eating your battery, depleting data usage plans and making the phone lag.

In case of Samsung phones, the music players are generally quite feature-rich anyways to think of other ad-supported bloatwares.

I havent yet used either 3G or WIfi or even GPRS on my Optimus, but I always take care of terminating processes of softwares under a doubt, and then uninstalling. So, that issue wont affect someone who's aware of the resource-hogging apps. I always monitor the processes regularly.

Abt the music player of Samsung, whats wrong with LG having a poor music app n we installing good quality apps that take just abt 1mb of my internal storage n similar with other apps? Have u tried the PowerAmp (trial), Cubed, Winamp, bTunes, players (such apps r highly professional ones that can be trustworthy of being high quality n not wasting resources).

And G3 has built-in Eclair and better Multimedia performance.

But, we have recieved the ugrade to 2.1, which is y i compare the phones, coz I admit the Optimus lagged at places in 1.6, but then we are comparing the G3 with the Optimus One here, right? I'm quite interested in knowing how better r Samsung multimedia capabilities than that of LG.

GT540 captures video VGA @17fps while G3 QVGA @15fps. How exactly G3 lacking here?

LG Optimus GT540 Video Sample - 640x480 - 17fps - mp4
*www.phonearena.com/ftp_access/upload/samples/LG_Optimus_GT540_Review_Sample.mp4

Samsung Galaxy 3 Video Sample - 320x240 - 15fps - 3gp
*www.phonearena.com/ftp_access/upload/samples/Samsung_I5800_Review_Sample_video.3gp

Nokia 5800 Video Sample - 640x352 - 30fps - mp4
*www.phonearena.com/ftp_access/upload/samples/Nokia-5800-XpressMusic.mp4

From these video samples, we observe that the fps is as good as the no. of MegaPixels n so not the only parameter to judge video recording. My SE K530i's 2MP camera kicks the hell out of my LG Optimus n may be even Samsung's photo capture ability.

---------------------------------------------------------
I really wud like to test the Galaxy 3, as I'm interested in comparing it with my Optimus.

The points I need to test are:
- Do the 16M colors beat my 256k with higher-res screen

- The audio quality, coz I hear lot of praises for Samsung's audio quality, tho LG's is surely very very good, too.

- The camera performance, especially the color reproduction and vibrance, since LG's photo capture is average, but then I havent had the time to test it outdoors n cant judge it wrong right now. The photo samples of G3 n Optimus are similar on phonearena and gsmarena. So need to check out

- Capacitive touch response

Which stores wud offer me to operate the Galaxy 3?

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
If you have a samsung showroom near you they can show the live set to you. I just hope airtel releases cheaper 3g. Missing those 700mb movies :D

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
"LG today announced that its latest Android 2.2 smartphone has crossed the 1 million sales mark after 40 days of its initial launch. Currently the phone is available in various countries of Europe, Asia-Pacific countries and the USA. While, as the global launches are scheduled in coming days, the number is only going to increase.

Company has also said that Optimus One is one of the fastest selling smartphones in the history of the firm, and it expects it to cross 10 million mark as well."

Link : LG Optimus One sales cross 1 mn mark | Androidos.in

niraj87

Broken In
I forgot to mention the new entrant in this category of Android phones under of 12-13k viz, the Motorola Quench XT 502, which seems to be better than the Galaxy 3 and Optimus GT540, coz acc to this review it has great audio quality (even on speakers), video recording, vibrant screen, not sure abt gaming and the fps it runs on AND it will be upgradable to 2.2

Motorola Quench XT3 XT502 - Full phone specifications

Motorola Quench / CliQ XT 3 Full Review|iGyaan.in

Last edited:

Aditya11

Journeyman
@aditya11
But any heavy-weight app, including games, IS gonna lag on both the phones, despite the resolution.

I said that on the basis of the GPU that the Optimus has, not based on the resolution, which was based on the benchmarking videos I had posted, that compared the G3 with G5 and LG Optimus with HTC Desire (1Ghz processor, 576MB RAM, 480x800pixels) in seperate videos, where the Optimus wins.

I stand by what I said. Phone speed isn't inherently related with low-resolution, but depends upon processor speed, version of the OS and number of apps running at the same time.

I wonder what wud G3 users install over the SD card after the Froyo update, since the internal 170mb is enough for apps, while installing games on SD card makes no sense as they lag so much.

No need to wonder as Android apps aren't consists of 3D games only! Also, not 3D ALL games lag on G3 to start with. I remember bechmarking my G3 for a 3D game scenario rendering. It lagged horribly and I was too disappointed. But after some time, I came in terms with my phone and learned to better manage the apps and OS. Now I replay Raging Thunder so smoothly, which was previously close to unplayable due to lag.

Unoptimized and badly coded apps keep on hogging system resources even when not in use, keep on communicating with their home server, display tons of ads which is surefire way of eating your battery, depleting data usage plans and making the phone lag.

In case of Samsung phones, the music players are generally quite feature-rich anyways to think of other ad-supported bloatwares.

I havent yet used either 3G or WIfi or even GPRS on my Optimus, but I always take care of terminating processes of softwares under a doubt, and then uninstalling. So, that issue wont affect someone who's aware of the resource-hogging apps. I always monitor the processes regularly.

Abt the music player of Samsung, whats wrong with LG having a poor music app n we installing good quality apps that take just abt 1mb of my internal storage n similar with other apps? Have u tried the PowerAmp (trial), Cubed, Winamp, bTunes, players (such apps r highly professional ones that can be trustworthy of being high quality n not wasting resources).

In general, I like to stay away from many 'trials' which bombard you with constant stream of ads. Fortunately, with Samsung, we don't need to hunt for apps for improving music quality.

niraj87

Broken In
@Aditya

None of those apps except PowerAmp is a trialware. All of them n many more r easily available everywer n take abt 1mb of space. An Android user (atleast someone like me) wud always lookout for more n the latest apps all the time. So "hunting" for apps will always go on n the provision of so many apps is the beauty of Android, which is a pleasure, unless we're too busy. Abt the theory of preinstalled apps which r optimized for the device, for which u feel the G3 has an advantage, I wud like to know in detail.

And now how did u manage to run Raging Thunder 2 smoothly?

Abt the combination of Resolution, CPU, RAM to run an app/game smoothly, lag-free, there's no denying, but when we compare phones frm this category, all of them have the same CPU clock speed viz., 600MHz, and sufficient amt of RAM. That means there has to be something that G3 lacks to be able to lag

The G3 has a higher amt of RAM n 67Mhz more of clock speed than the GT540 (O1 is far ahead) n still lags. G5 works very smooth, too. So, what exactly do u thnk is missing in G3?

---------------------------------------------------------
I have a request open to all Galaxy 3 users.

Can some1 do this for me :

Upload a small video on youtube that plays a couple of mp3s that I'll upload ON speakers, so that I can judge Galaxy 3's audio quality as compared to my phone. This is coz I dislike the speaker quality on my phone (which is the only downside of the phone), coz the mp3s of the genre of music I listen to i.e. Heavy Metal, crackles on high volume on the speakers, which is not the case with Bollywood/Pop/Hip-hop/Trance etc..coz the recording process of Heavy Metal n the encoding, too, differs than of those genres.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom