Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy 3

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

niraj87

Broken In
I thot Samsung n LG sucked, until I watched videos n read reviews for almost a month before buying the best smartphone in my price budget.

A brand doesnt suck, its some of their products that do. HTC as a brand is huge, but my LG Optimus wins over many of HTC's phones (w.r.t fps and other benchmarking) like HTC Tattoo, Legend, Magic (these videos and benchmarking r available on youtube, gsmarena, phonearena). We also discussed how the Galaxy 3 lacks as compared to other phones of the category.

The bottomline is that the judgement cant be made acc to brand name, coz now these brands have emerged head-to-head with each other. Our phones are entry-level Android phones, n so they cant be perfect, since they need to cut out on quality to fit in the price range of 13k.

niraj87

Broken In
@JCAssasin

Can u kindly explain what better specs does the Galaxy 3 have, that will make it better than the Optimus One after the Froyo update?

Oh...so u r more convinced now...I was referring to the other post that u made above..

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
Abt Flash, yes u r rite, thats something the LG O1 lacks. If u're worrying abt the 16M colors so much, u shud first visit a LG showroom n try out an Optimus One (or watch youtube videos) to see if u find any difference in the display of ur G3 and the O1. I'm completely satisfied with the display of my Optimus. I donno how many more colors does a smartphone need !

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@JCAssassin

Yes samsung is better brand than LG, but the deciding factors shud be features of mobile not mobile brand name.
If a choice is given between-
* a branded phone with nice feature
* and another phone with better features and better looks but from a little less known manufacturer
I dont think many people wud go for better brand name. If they do, they wud regret their decision later(when they will encounter less branded but better phone :))
Moreover it is not like LG is bad brand either.

And Refer to 13th post in this thread...

Both of the phones dont hav flash. And abt 16M colours I wud prefer better screen resolution than better colour :)

niraj87

Broken In
^^Exactly.

All this is a very healthy and friendly discussion, alright?

I really have no clue how can one claim some brand is better than the other? Some methods to judge which brand is better can be their sales, revenue, quality or other factors. Some brands are better in marketing/promoting than others to create loyal customers.

I am not biased towards either Samsung or LG. Both these brands are Korean n both have served for many many years. Both of them have established themselves in the electronic industry n now in the cell-phone industry. We can only judge them if we compare all of their products frm the same category with similar specifications n the comparison cant be made by general users like us. For example, the audio quality can be compared only by sound engineers, like at the bottom of this page :

LG GT540 Optimus review: Get smart, get started - GSMArena.com

GSMArena feature lab: Enter new goodies - GSMArena.com

All the hardware n software specs of a product can only be measured by technicians n engineers, using their equipments.

Also, u cant judge a brand by how much it sells in India. The Indian market is biased towards Nokia/SE more than Samsung/LG/Motorola, while HTC is an expensive brand. When u compare brands, u have to study their global peformances in depth.

I just read somewhere that the Galaxy 3 doesnt support live wallpapers due to its low-res. Is it rite? If it is, then thats not kool !

Last edited:

JCAssassin

Broken In
Pardon me if i had insulted anyone. Well, I checked out the O1 today at a mobile shop. it was amazing. Additionally, I tried the G3 and tried to compare them. You guys were right, O1 is definitely better! I'm getting one soon btw. The resolutiob on the G3 was quite bad and my friends who owned them mentioned a lot of problems about it, like battery life. Thanks :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@JCAssassin

Yes samsung is better brand than LG, but the deciding factors shud be features of mobile not mobile brand name.
If a choice is given between-
* a branded phone with nice feature
* and another phone with better features and better looks but from a little less known manufacturer
I dont think many people wud go for better brand name. If they do, they wud regret their decision later(when they will encounter less branded but better phone :))
Moreover it is not like LG is bad brand either.

And Refer to 13th post in this thread...

Both of the phones dont hav flash. And abt 16M colours I wud prefer better screen resolution than better colour :)

add 1 more thing. availability of updates. 2 of top examples are Indian fanboys favourite brand, as mentioned below by nijar: Nokia & SE.

Nokia: stuck at Symbian S60v5 for years now & Symbian3 as we can see is out of reach for most. Nokia is India's favorite cause of its price & good build quality at moderate-cheap price. can HTC sell mobile under 5k? hell No. never. Nokia can. but in mainstream smartphone market (not 20k or higher priced mobiles), LG will thrash it.

SE: every other manufacturer rolling out 2.2 update for sub 15k mobiles as highend have already running 2.2. but look at SE. proudly launching 2.1 for X10. & other X* still to see daylight of android 2.*. its a shame. cause only the SE fanboys or the Proud SE owners who not know anything about Android will be ready to go out & get X12 or X7 or whatever mobiles launches next with Android 2.1/2.2. whereas the others will happily ship with ver2.3 aka gingerbread. i feel SE should first update the ones on market to Android 2.2 than bring new mobiles.

Also, u cant judge a brand by how much it sells in India. The Indian market is biased towards Nokia/SE more than Samsung/LG/Motorola, while HTC is an expensive brand. When u compare brands, u have to study their global peformances in depth.

I just read somewhere that the Galaxy 3 doesnt support live wallpapers due to its low-res. Is it rite? If it is, then thats not kool !

many haven't heard about HTC. and those who have knows it for the Win Mobo days (excluding the latest batch of Android lovers).

Galaxy 3 + rooting = live wallpapers.

niraj87

Broken In
@JCAssassin

Did u find the need of 16M colors or were u satisfied with the 256k colors of the Optimus One?

@Naino

How much are u gonna sell ur Galaxy 3 for?

Aditya11

Journeyman
@ naino and niraj

You guys are acting so far removed from reality.

You are recommending a particular low-budget smart phone on the basis of GPU scores now? Seriously?? This isn't a Smartphone vs PSP thread, from what I understand. Phones having 12k budget aren't equipped to handle 3D games and frankly, aren't expected to. Then again, there isn't a universal trend in terms of performance. Phone model A will play 3D game A better while phone model B might play game B better.

My own G3 wasn't playing Raging Thunder well in the first week after purchase and the performance was choppy. But now I can play it smoothly.

Also, brand DOES matter when it comes to customer service and support. I hope you didn't think your phone will never malfunction! Samsung scores in this area at least when it comes to widespread AVAILABILITY of service centers. How many are confident about LG after-sales support?

Icons and graphics are gonna look bland and boring, even on high resolution, if the display has measly 256k color depth. For simulating the difference, try resolution vs color depth effect on desktop.

Multimedia performance of G3 is top notch as well.

As has been concluded numerous times, the only OBJECTIVE advantage of O1 at this point is FroYO. If someone tells me G3 will never get FroYo, then I too will consider purchasing O1. Otherwise, there isn't any strong reason to choose O1 over G3, in the light of above mentioned considerations.

niraj87 said:
So the thread seems to have found the answer to the poll.

Yes, G3 wins by 15 vs 8 votes :)

NainO said:
I m considering to buy O1 mainly cuz of- better dispaly resolution, better appearance, twice of ram and better reviews of this phone

But not ALL reviews are even positive, are they?

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
@Aditya -

Again, that's something presumed abt a brand here with no basis to prove. Can u prove LG has a worse customer service than Samsung or do u even know how many LG service centers exist in Mumbai itself? I've had no issues with the customer service when upgrading to 2.1 recently.

LG Mobile Service Centers in Mumbai - Mumbai

Whenever I made a claim, I backed up with proofs such as links, videos, else I never claimed, coz I aint biased towards any brand. When we talk abt the G3, we do talk abt the good side, but when we compare it to something like the Optimus One, the only advantage it seems to have (which not many care abt..if they do, then how many of them? What abt the resolution, which everyone cares abt?) is 16M colors, n for some Flash may be imp. Do u care abt how attractive icons look, or how well games play?

Since the benchmarking results slay the G3, u are now trying to define a smartphone in terms of multimedia capabilities, and u urself know that a non-smartphone (multimedia/feature phone) provides as good multimedia capabilities as G3, but does a non-smartphone even consider the GPU/CPU/RAM specifications? Of course, I cant deny the fact that an Android phone must be packed with good music/video playback capabilities, but then if u're trying to say that the O1(or Opti GT540) has anything close to bad multimedia capabilities, then u're joking.

Abt the poll of 15:8, thats the same since the day I had joined, n then I honestly, with an intent to enlighten n help these guys, showed them the videos, links, benchmarking results that went against G3, so now u may consider restarting the poll, if u want. I only intend to help these new buyers that asked for honest reviews.

Last edited:

Aditya11

Journeyman
@Aditya -

Again, that's something presumed abt a brand here with no basis to prove. Can u prove LG has a worse customer service than Samsung or do u even know how many LG service centers exist in Mumbai itself? I've had no issues with the customer service when upgrading to 2.1 recently.

LG Mobile Service Centers in Mumbai - Mumbai

What does this link prove? How that is even related to what I said? We aren't simply talking about Mumbai anyways.

A brand perception is a powerful thing and should not be underestimated. No one was/is enthusiastic about Android offerings from Spice and Videocon..because? Think why. Simply having better hardware specification isn't enough to win a customer.

Whenever I made a claim, I backed up with proofs such as links, videos, else I never claimed, coz I aint biased towards any brand.

Are you sure? You claimed Otimus having a dedicated GPU. Some of your links were simply referrals, just like the above one.

When we talk abt the G3, we do talk abt the good side, but when we compare it to something like the Optimus One, the only advantage it seems to have (which not many care abt..if they do, then how many of them? What abt the resolution, which everyone cares abt?) is 16M colors, n for some Flash may be imp. Do u care abt how attractive icons look, or how well games play?

Both. 16k color depth impacts EVERYTHING visual. And apart from synthetic benchmarks, do we have any practical test runs of WHICH 3D games run on O1 that do not on G3?

Since the benchmarking results slay the G3, u are now trying to define a smartphone in terms of multimedia capabilities

No. I not doing this "now". My stand has been same since my first post. You surprisingly have shifted your attention to 3D gaming performance for inexplicable reasons. Care to elaborate why?

and u urself know that a non-smartphone (multimedia/feature phone) provides as good multimedia capabilities as G3, but does a non-smartphone even consider the GPU/CPU/RAM specifications? Of course, I cant deny the fact that an Android phone must be packed with good music/video playback capabilities, but then if u're trying to say that the O1(or Opti GT540) has anything close to bad multimedia capabilities, then u're joking.

Show me where I stated such.

Abt the poll of 15:8, thats the same since the day I had joined,

That's a lie. When you joined it was O1:2 and G3:4. What is "same" however, is even after all your posts G3 still leads with double amount of votes. And instead of asking for another poll, we need to respect user's mandate here, if you claim to be non-biased.

n then I honestly, with an intent to enlighten n help these guys, showed them the videos, links, benchmarking results that went against G3, so now u may consider restarting the poll, if u want. I only intend to help these new buyers that asked for honest reviews.

I think you wish to use your phone mainly as a 3D gaming device and hence are putting up links and benchmarks showing O1 performance in that area. It may not be what a general user wants or expects. Think about it.

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
A brand perception is a powerful thing and should not be underestimated. No one was/is enthusiastic about Android offerings from Spice and Videocon..because? Think why. Simply having better hardware specification isn't enough to win a customer.

Agreed, that is why most people go for Nokia. (I,for one haven't had any complaints with Nokia regarding their service.Can't say the same about others, though).

Samsung IMO, doesn't have that strong a brand. In fact, even when Samsung Wave was available, some of my friends were skeptical of buying it, due to it being Samsung.(Instead went for X6 :neutral:)

Both. 16k color depth impacts EVERYTHING visual. And apart from synthetic benchmarks, do we have any practical test runs of WHICH 3D games run on O1 that do not on G3?

Then, why do you find v.few people complaining about the 65-k color limitation in Android Gallery and Browser (for 2.1 devices,although some have been dithered to 16-million,which still is hardly true 16-mill colors)?

In fact, I'd wager that v.few people would notice any major difference. (All I'm saying is that, it is not a major issue for a majority of guys. In fact, before the tests were conducted, I hardly heard of anyone finding the gallery image quality to be low. And remember, we are talking about 65 k, not 262 K !!)

Last edited:

JCAssassin

Broken In
Hmmm.. Can we restart the poll? This would be a great as i believe everyone has heard both sides of the story and know the two phones better

niraj87

Broken In
No one was/is enthusiastic about Android offerings from Spice and Videocon..because? Think why.

I aint talkin abt those new brands. I'm talkin abt brands that have established themselves serving many years, like Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC.

Are you sure? You claimed Otimus having a dedicated GPU. Some of your links were simply referrals, just like the above one.

I proved that by comparing one of the G3 user's (NainO) benchmarking results (which r the same as on GSMarena) with my LG GT540, which means the GPU of GT540 thrashes the GPU of G3 and it even kicks out many HTC phones, which also means that the O1 kicks G3's ass.

I'm not talkin abt just 3D games, but also abt other high-res games n everything related to Graphics. G3 scored only 26 compared to my 223 in the GPU department ! My LG GT540 even calculated the Pi (using BenchmarPi tool) in approx 4.7 secs as compared to G3's 9.6 secs. I never knew icons were more important than Games ! Abt the Games, if Raging Thunder lags, then most of the Games will lag, since most of those 3D games are heavier than Raging Thunder.

No. I not doing this "now". My stand has been same since my first post. You surprisingly have shifted your attention to 3D gaming performance for inexplicable reasons. Care to elaborate why?

Sir, an Android smartphone is supposed to be good in the Graphics department, while the multimedia capabilities can be found in non-smartphones too (which are non-Android based, like Samsung's Touch-Wiz, LG's S-Box class). There r so many such phones which provide great multimedia capabilities, but not all provide great GPU, in a price range of under 15k. LG and Samsung has loads of such phones Eg. LG Arena.

Even Nokia (for example, Nokia 5800) provides good multimedia capabilities, but nothing on the Graphics side, due to the limitation of the Symbian OS. That means an Android phone is supposed to do something great on the Graphics side, while music/video playback is something that all such phones do at a standard level (standard meaning mp4, xvid playback (though not 720x480), n good audio playback), now-a-days.

I think you wish to use your phone mainly as a 3D gaming device and hence are putting up links and benchmarks showing O1 performance in that area. It may not be what a general user wants or expects. Think about it.

The benchmarks n links were all of my LG Optimus GT540. O1 is far ahead. If u dont care abt these benchmarks results where G3 lacks, then u dont care abt G3 being a smartphone, coz u concentrate more on the multimedia capabilities than what a smartphone is meant for.

In the end, I dont say G3 sucks. What I say is O1 is far ahead. I dont deny that G3 IS a smartphone, but u cant use G3's multimedia capabilities to defend G3 against O1, coz O1 is not far behind in the mutimedia department + O1 has all other specs better than that of G3.

@JCAssassin

When u visited the LG showroom, did u find the need of 16M colors or were u satisfied with the 256k colors of the Optimus One? I do understand that the icons look flat on my LG Optimus n so I want to see how big an impact do the icons or the photo viewing make on the G3?

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@Sam.Shab

Thnx Sam for the addition :)
Also do mention that G3+rooting != Warranty

@niraj

May be around 9-9.5k.

@Aditya

You are recommending a particular low-budget smart phone on the basis of GPU scores now? Seriously?? This isn't a Smartphone vs PSP thread, from what I understand. Phones having thread, from what I understand. Phones having 12k budget aren't equipped to handle 3D games and frankly, aren't expected to.

I thought both of these phones are low budget phones. And i know this isnt a psp vs phone tread.
But how come O1 performs better than G3(as far as i know both are phones)???
Moreover benchmarks results tells that O1 is better than G3 in many fields. Are the benchmarks result wrong???

Then again, there isn't a universal trend in terms of performance. Phone model A will play 3D game A better while phone model B might play game B better.

Its more like -
Phone A plays game A better and phone B plays B,C,D,E... better...

Samsung scores in this area at least when it comes to widespread AVAILABILITY of service centers. How many are confident about LG after- sales support?

Availability of both samsung and LG is good in my lacality. And its not like LG refuse to mend the malfunctions device.
If a mobile is good, i can keep it for 2-3 yrs. I used Nokia n82 for 2.5 yrs. So, after sale values means less to me.

Icons and graphics are gonna look bland and boring, even on high resolution, if the display has measly 256k color depth

Tell me whose icons looks more bland and boring - N73 or n82???
You are the one who is complaining about low colours of phone. Even phonearena is satisfied with this "low colours", who review every low end to high end phones!!!

As has been concluded numerous times, the only OBJECTIVE advantage of O1 at this point is FroYO.

What about - higher resoltion, better 3g(more important than wifi n) and built quality???

But not ALL reviews are even positive, are they?

They are indeed more +ve than G3...

A brand perception is a powerful thing and should not be underestimated. No one was/is enthusiastic about Android offerings from Spice and Videocon..because?

You r talking like-
"Oh! I will go for PS3 and not for XBox 360. Sony is a better brand than Microsoft."
Phonearena gave 7 pts to G3 and 8 to O1. They are in this field for a long time and dont need to lie. Do they???

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
The only difference one will make when observing 256k and 16m is the saturation level. Everything on the 256k colour screen will have less colour.

Aditya11

Journeyman
Hrithan2020 said:
Then, why do you find v.few people complaining about the 65-k color limitation in Android Gallery and Browser (for 2.1 devices,although some have been dithered to 16-million,which still is hardly true 16-mill colors)?

In fact, I'd wager that v.few people would notice any major difference. (All I'm saying is that, it is not a major issue for a majority of guys. In fact, before the tests were conducted, I hardly heard of anyone finding the gallery image quality to be low. And remember, we are talking about 65 k, not 262 K !!)

Color depth matters in images having various color shades, contrasts and saturation levels. For example, a pic of Sunset. You may not be able to tell much difference on the tiny phone screen, but on monitors, one can make out the faded color tones. The video quality will also suffer for the same reason. Since Human eye is capable of distinguishing at least 10m colors, 256k colors just won't cut it.

niraj87 said:
I aint talkin abt those new brands. I'm talkin abt brands that have established themselves serving many years, like Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC.

My point is, LG MOBILE brand has yet to find acceptance here. On any given day in a mobile shop you will find tons more inquiries for Nokia, SE, Samsung..even Motorola than LG. Ask around your local shop to confirm this.

One also needs to check about community support regarding custom ROMS / Mods etc for lesser known brands.

niraj87 said:
I proved that by comparing one of the G3 user's (NainO) benchmarking results (which r the same as on GSMarena) with my LG GT540, which means the GPU of GT540 thrashes the GPU of G3 and it even kicks out many HTC phones, which also means that the O1 kicks G3's ass.

Indeed, GPU is all that matters anyways!

niraj87 said:
I'm not talkin abt just 3D games, but also abt other high-res games n everything related to Graphics.

EVERYTHING related to graphics? Like what?? Which day-to-day activities on a smartphone are gonna require such extensive use of a dedicated GPU that G3 fails to keep up with? Be specific without being vague.

niraj87 said:
I never knew icons were more important than Games !

I blame reading incomprehension.

niraj87 said:
Abt the Games, if Raging Thunder lags, then most of the Games will lag, since most of those 3D games are heavier than Raging Thunder.

As stated many times, Raging Thunder DOES NOT lag on my G3. One just needs to better manage the system resources.

niraj87 said:
Sir, an Android smartphone is supposed to be good in the Graphics department, while the multimedia capabilities can be found in non-smartphones too (which are non-Android based, like Samsung's Touch-Wiz, LG's S-Box class). There r so many such phones which provide great multimedia capabilities, but not all provide great GPU, in a price range of under 15k. LG and Samsung has loads of such phones Eg. LG Arena.

Even Nokia (for example, Nokia 5800) provides good multimedia capabilities, but nothing on the Graphics side, due to the limitation of the Symbian OS. That means an Android phone is supposed to do something great on the Graphics side, while music/video playback is something that all such phones do at a standard level (standard meaning mp4, xvid playback (though not 720x480), n good audio playback), now-a-days.

You say graphics is not 3D games only. Tell me, if G3's performance is ALREADY snappy due to 667Mhz processor and 256 MB RAM with all animations and effects enabled, what other 'graphics' aspects are you talking about?

niraj87 said:
The benchmarks n links were all of my LG Optimus GT540. O1 is far ahead. If u dont care abt these benchmarks results where G3 lacks, then u dont care abt G3 being a smartphone, coz u concentrate more on the multimedia capabilities than what a smartphone is meant for.

Uh. Do not twist my words to suit your meaning. A smartphone isn't only for multimedia and I never said so. I have just said that Samsung mobiles generally are considered to offer better multimedia performance.

niraj87 said:
In the end, I dont say G3 sucks. What I say is O1 is far ahead. I dont deny that G3 IS a smartphone, but u cant use G3's multimedia capabilities to defend G3 against O1, coz O1 is not far behind in the mutimedia department + O1 has all other specs better than that of G3.

But of course, I WILL say that a smartphone is indeed expected to have good multimedia capabilities and reportedly, O1 cannot play high-res vids. So much for the 'graphics' power and hi-res screen of O1 !!

Gollum said:
Samsung galaxy 3 plays 720x480 video out of the box whereas lg optimus one can only play maximum 420x260 which is even lower than psp resolution. whats the point of having a big screen if it can't even play video of the same resolution lol.

------

NainO said:
Thnx Sam for the addition
Also do mention that G3+rooting != Warranty

And also mentioned that G3+UNrooting = Warranty back!

NainO said:
I thought both of these phones are low budget phones. And i know this isnt a psp vs phone tread.
But how come O1 performs better than G3(as far as i know both are phones)???
Moreover benchmarks results tells that O1 is better than G3 in many fields. Are the benchmarks result wrong???

They may not be wrong but they are inconsequential. They only prove how better O1 can play certain 3D games.

NainO said:
You are the one who is complaining about low colours of phone. Even phonearena is satisfied with this "low colours", who review every low end to high end phones!!!

Read my points above about color depth.

NainO said:
What about - higher resoltion, better 3g(more important than wifi n) and built quality???

How much PRACTICAL 3G speed difference have *you* experienced between O1 and G3? We have discussed other 2 points already.

NainO said:
You r talking like-
"Oh! I will go for PS3 and not for XBox 360. Sony is a better brand than Microsoft."

Illogical comparison. Both are super well-known and trusted brands. Therefore, its a matter of personal preference there.

NainO said:
Phonearena gave 7 pts to G3 and 8 to O1. They are in this field for a long time and dont need to lie. Do they???

Riight. ONE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) point of difference does indeed make O1 TONS much better then G3. NOT. What about this thread where G3 gets 50% more votes than O1? Only you two guys are defending O1 here, that too without any first-hand usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom