Post processing images - The final step to getting that awesome click

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys...

esp on the hair.
Credit goes to PS and plain/easy background...

hey guys did u see the giveawayoftheday they are giving zonerphotostudio pro today, looks somewhat similar to LR.
It seems similar to LR but I don't think I can give it a try. Already I have too heavy s/w in my low config. desktop. Trying too many things will be a overkill and will sure slow down the system performance.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Even LR just reads the RAW and copy it as DNG format (correct me if I am wrong, is DNG, RAW?) to work on the platform. PS users can do the same with ACR to read the RAW and adjust and send the image to PS for further editing if any.

lm2k

Journeyman
Thanks guys...

Credit goes to PS and plain/easy background...

It seems similar to LR but I don't think I can give it a try. Already I have too heavy s/w in my low config. desktop. Trying too many things will be a overkill and will sure slow down the system performance.

i just downloaded it and saved the setup(extracted), may be i would like to try it, we get a genuine version to use as our own.

I am not a LR user, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that is you are using raw in LR it is only a TIFF that gets transferred to Photoshop.

One more difference ,In LR the splittonning shows a dropper to select the colour but in ACR it is just sliders to work with.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
The basic raw file from the camera is never edited as far as I know. LR will usually save the changes that you make to the raw as a .xmp file (called a sidecar file) or to its catalog, it's basically a list of modifications that are applied to the associated raw file.

The problem with editing a raw/jpeg is that it's easy to go overboard with it. We've all seen very highly processed files that immediately look fake and appear blurry and noisy due to all the stuff that has been done to it (like some of my files from mid last year) :))

sujoyp

Grand Master
It happens that when we edit a file we sometimes over do to get the result we wanted ...and those fake things we hide by sharing small size of that pic :D I have done that ...its ok as long as it doesnt look complete fake

nac

Aspiring Novelist
The last 7 pictures I posted was developed from RAW. Am I preferring to shoot RAW??? I don't know. But I could get more details out of RAW, including blown out highlights and shadows. Could add more punch, including colours... Just need to learn "how to reduce noise". Jpeg are good in this regard.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Noise and lens distortion/vignetting bugging me a lot.

I tried to get lens profile for my camera, but couldn't find a good one. Two profile I found in CHDK forum not at all working. The one I downloaded (SX150) here in this forum (thanks to that generous man to share his work) and the one I got from adobe (SX230) are the one's close to good but still not close to perfect like the jpeg.

If you guys found any .lcp for SX130, please let me know.

-------------------------------------------

I have few doubts in lightroom.

1. Is this possible to undo a particular adjustment made (which happened to be in the middle of the development process)?

2. I removed one of the file from LR (let's say the file name is CRW_1000.cr2 copied as dng). But later I thought of developing it, so I imported. But now the files is getting copied as CRW_1000-2.dng. I thought there is some error so I removed and imported again, now it copied as CRW_1000-3.dng.
How can I erase the memory of this files previous import or tell LR that the file is the same one, please :pray: leave the file name as it is?

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@Nac; there is a history tab to the left (above the folders and collections) you can pretty much go back to any step in the process.

I'm not really sure about the second, but is it really hindering your work?

Even I need to figure out some good way to reduce noise in the RAW file. It seems that the camera is better at removing it than lightroom. I guess this will need some research

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am using photoshop and selectively reducing the noise...tried in 3-4 pics and its working fine on birds

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@Nac; there is a history tab to the left (above the folders and collections) you can pretty much go back to any step in the process.
The history is useful when I want to go back to that particular adjustment and correct it. But the editing I did after that adjustment will vanish after I corrected that adjustment, right?
Uh... I think now it seems silly. It's LR, we can reset the particular adjustment at anytime, right?
I think I am kinda confused now. :confused: I think I tried to remove a particular adjustment but couldn't do it by resetting or something, so the reason I asked. But now I don't remember what was that adjustment. or May be resetting option didn't strike my mind when I asked that query. I don't know... Totally confused.:crazy:

Really sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the response.
I'm not really sure about the second, but is it really hindering your work?
It's not hindering, just wanted to know what I am doing wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, please don't mind. I thought this will be the appropriate thread to continue our discussion.

@nac: here is my attempt. A little noisy, but I guess that was given considering how much I tried to push the exposure in PP.

Already RAW files are noisy (and that too from a tiny sensor compact camera) and to pull details from underexposed image will lead even more noisier. @ 100% crop, we can see water-paint like image (esp, the greeny area). The image I posted was noisy too, it was not that apparent because of the small size of the image.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Several attempts after trying RAW, I keep switching between RAW & Jpeg, not because one is better than the other. Personally after PP, I can't tell if it was shot RAW or JPEG.

I have posted a few photos this week in the Photography thread, both posts have some RAW & some Jpeg. Can you guys make a guess which one is which. ? See posts #8770 & #8782.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen we definitely cant tell.....only u can tell...What i noticed is when shooting family and friends shoot jpeg and only when shooting something photographic or artistic shoot which you may need lot of editing then shoot RAW

shooting raw pics of family member is useless coz sometimes they want those pic to be transfered to pendrive instantly to show someone...then RAW pics become dull and grainy pics and then it need to be converted to jpeg before transferring

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, I couldn't find the difference. It's really good that you made very similar effect from both RAW and Jpeg and that too consistently with about a dozen images. My edits would have gone little erratic and would be so different from one to another even if all the images are shot in the same lighting and environment.

If I can take a wild guess, celebrity shots are RAW. Because you said, you missed Salman and Jaq. S110 is capable of 10fps burst if you were shooting jpeg and wouldn't have missed them if jpeg is opted. It's just a theory... :D You can pat me on my shoulder (if I am right? ;))

From the first series 1,3 & last are RAW. Just guessing...

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
No, I couldn't find the difference. It's really good that you made very similar effect from both RAW and Jpeg and that too consistently with about a dozen images. My edits would have gone little erratic and would be so different from one to another even if all the images are shot in the same lighting and environment.

If I can take a wild guess, celebrity shots are RAW. Because you said, you missed Salman and Jaq. S110 is capable of 10fps burst if you were shooting jpeg and wouldn't have missed them if jpeg is opted. It's just a theory... :D You can pat me on my shoulder (if I am right? ;))

From the first series 1,3 & last are RAW. Just guessing...

@gen we definitely cant tell.....only u can tell.

lol , even I can't tell. I'll have to go home & check which .CR2 I have.
What I meant was then whats the point. I'd rather shoot jpeg if no one can tell the difference.

I agree for jpeg with family pics. Also the camera does a better job than me to remove noise in people's faces.

I read on some other forum there are some settings in PS/Lightroom to make adjust the raw file sliders same as the jpeg output of the camera or something like that, now if that's true it can be a great starting point.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes in some software there is a setting which will export a pic same as taken on jpeg format...but then y did we took it in raw at the 1st place

Top Bottom