Official Samsung Galaxy SL (i9003) Thread

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
It will probably not, even galaxy Ace has got gingerbread update, it was listed all the time for Ace. Nothing for SL

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
WTF!!!! I am not so sad to know this. Spending 20k for not getting an official GB update? Samsung sucks. Why the hell Ace needs a update when SL is way better than Ace.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Well they specified that ACE will get 2.3 update when it was out. For SL no such mention, besides SL is poor cousing of Galaxy S, and not sold in every country. So chances are very low. Even XDA does not have a section for this phone.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Well they specified that ACE will get 2.3 update when it was out. For SL no such mention, besides SL is poor cousing of Galaxy S, and not sold in every country. So chances are very low. Even XDA does not have a section for this phone.

Guys there are struggling and even have a thread request MODS to open a new thread, but till today they are not willing to open, even after the customer base of SL is increasing rapidly. But there are some guys who develop Custom ROMS for SL and will see some change in a few months, at least hope so.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
From Samsung's twitter account answering a query about SL ,

"Gingerbread for Galaxy SL is expected to be released around first or second week of july. Will keep you update."

Twitter

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
two months!!! :|

anyways, better late than never.

Moving on, guys at XDA have created a new (sub) section for i9003. That guy AllGamer still doesn't want to treat this as a separate phone that i9000.
Galaxy S I9003 Android Development - xda-developers

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
thats great. But still the Custom ROM is not released. Once i receive the code from rex, i will play around and see if i can create better ROM... :D

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
From Samsung's twitter account answering a query about SL ,

"Gingerbread for Galaxy SL is expected to be released around first or second week of july. Will keep you update."

Twitter

There he said, Ace will get GB update by June end. I mean WTF! SL gets it by July end whereas the Ace gets it by Next month.

This is ridiculous and insane IMO

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
There he said, Ace will get GB update by June end. I mean WTF! SL gets it by July end whereas the Ace gets it by Next month.

This is ridiculous and insane IMO

There is no guarantee we will see this update even at the end of July. Don't forget this is Samsung we are dealing with... and they are notorious for their delay in issuing updates.

P. S. What does deodexed and zipaligned mean?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
the most descriptive article I came about on deodexed was this:
What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide]

for zipalign, nothing beats this:
zipalign | Android Developers

Update/Edit:

I have decided to move on to Nexus S, my original choice for Android. I do not want to remain at the mercy of handset manufacturers for update.

In this article:
99% of Android phones leak secret account credentials • The Register

all those who are on Android 2.3.3 and earlier are likely to lose their details if they use public/unsecured/unknown network. Although it is a remote possibility in India (we have public wifis at really lesser number of places) but why remain susceptible.

Maybe I am being too paranoid here (about security and all) but don't want to take any chances as I am wired to internet round the clock.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Nexus S is overpriced SL, I'd rather for for Galaxy S(Amoled) then Nexus S. The only assured thing abt it is constant updates (and great XDA support). Which is good but demands a price of 27k (Pune). 19k for SL vs 27K for Nexus (which is almost similar phone), not justified.

Nexus S does not have fm radio, which I missed very much in my previous android phone , Galaxy SPICA.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
completely agree. having no radio sucks but I can counter it by loading all my fav tracks.

BTW I am trying to get Nexus S from abroad so that I get atleast a S-AMOLED. that 16 GB limit is also frustrating but atleast it will have Google and community support. Just my thought. I am not, in any way. trying to compare i9000 or i9003 with Nexus S

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ I know, just wrote what led me to buy SL instead of Nexus S, I had that phone in my mind too.
The most sad part about owning a SL is nonexistent XDA support, I am currently running CM7 on my Galaxy Spica thanks to www.samdroid.net and XDA .

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
completely agree. having no radio sucks but I can counter it by loading all my fav tracks.

BTW I am trying to get Nexus S from abroad so that I get atleast a S-AMOLED. that 16 GB limit is also frustrating but atleast it will have Google and community support. Just my thought. I am not, in any way. trying to compare i9000 or i9003 with Nexus S

Nexus S is a very good choice... Unfortunately, its overpriced...

Maybe in 2012-2013, I might be able to buy a Nexus 2S or something dualcore pure Google phone...

Terabyte

In the zone
@gagan007 : Apart from the update thing any other reason for giving up on GSL?
IMO Nexus S is definitely a good choice.

SwiftLover

Broken In
Is it Still worth to buy Samsung Galaxy S i9000 for 21,990?? will it support Android 3.1? or 2.3 is the end of the i9000?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
well after SII it seems logical that i9000 is not going to last much.no official word on this though

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Is it Still worth to buy Samsung Galaxy S i9000 for 21,990?? will it support Android 3.1? or 2.3 is the end of the i9000?

well after SII it seems logical that i9000 is not going to last much.no official word on this though

Original Samsung Galaxy S has awesome hardware, great screen, great CPU-GPU combination and exceptional XDA support. At 22k, its amazing...

Samsung Galaxy S + CyanogenMod 7 = Awesome Winner...

If you don't like to hack and tinker... then HTC Desire S is better out of the box...

Top Bottom