Official Android discussion thread

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
hi i am a noobie...i brought a xperia u last week...i want to know about rooting...and will i lose my sony warranty if i root my phone???is there any disadvantages???and if i should root my phone for maximum performance how should i begin...

You really should search for a thread, "FAQ about rooting" in this section of the forum.

mastervk

In the zone
hi i am a noobie...i brought a xperia u last week...i want to know about rooting...and will i lose my sony warranty if i root my phone???is there any disadvantages???and if i should root my phone for maximum performance how should i begin...
rooting/custom roms void warranty .though you should be able to reverse it if warranty is required..
disadvantage :loose warranty...might brick the phone
rooting will not maximize your phone performance..it might help you to install some software like titanium backup etc which can help you to remove crapware/bloatware..

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys any idea if we have Opera browser open on my LG optimus net how do I close the browser. I don't find any option to close it.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Used a galaxy nexus for the first time. This is the first time I enjoyed using android.
The state of affairs in the android world is so sad because of the skinning.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Guys any idea if we have Opera browser open on my LG optimus net how do I close the browser. I don't find any option to close it.

In Android, closing of apps works a bit differently. You don't need to close any app, since OS takes care of that. Apps which are not being used are automatically closed in the background.
Or you can keep pressing back button, and the app will be closed.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Guys I have bought fifa 12 & asphalt 7 for just Rs 14 each.. but now this games ask for Data download of 1GB+ damn.. please can some one share is there any way possible to download from Desktop.. I have Galaxy S3.

and even if any one can recommend something to me here.. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/163907-need-wi-fi-router-modem-around-2k.html

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
search "data for fifa 12 android". you'll find the data package as a zip file but as you have the original game, you should be able to use them without causing any problem.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I was looking for something official..and I already tried googling but I found Data mostly for QVGA HVGA ..which mostly should be compressed and all.. size of most files are 1 to 1.3 GB.. but my Fifa app shows 1685MB..

ajaymailed

In the zone
i have recently updated by SGS2 to Android 4.0.4. I have decided now to root my phones as i want to try Jelly Bean on my phone. But when i was reading about it, i came across this
[WARNING] Samsung 4.0.4 firmwares (Official / Leaked) may lead to HARDBRICK - xda-developers
my phones baseband version is I9100XXLQ6. I saw some suggestions to try out Siyah Kernel. i am completely new to this rooting/custom ROMs. So how do i proceed. if Siyah Kernel is to be used, then which version is the safest? or is there a different one for every stock firmware?

Model No.: GT-I9100
Android Version: 4.0.4
Baseband Version: I9100XXLQ6
Build number: IMM76D.XWLPW

update- I did it finally. ma phone is rooted with Siyah 4.1.5 . I was a bit tense before with the fear of damaging my phone. I wanted to badly experience the true power of Android i.e Custom ROMs but risks involved prevented me to. Thats the price i paid for FREEDOM.

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone
I am looking to install Cyanogen 10 ROM but why do we have to wipe out all the data in the phone? what will be lost? all my contacts, messages, data in SD Card?
every time i want to check out a new ROM, do i have to take backup of all this?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
left over data may get mixed up with new one causing problems. no, unless selected SDcard won't be touched. Now as contact are sync'd to Google servers and you can take backup of sms, flash CM10.

ajaymailed

In the zone
flashed Cyanogen 9.1.0. I wanted to go for completely stable build since this is my first time and they said 10 JB is yet to be fully stable. I took the backup of contacts & SMS. There is just a bit of lag compared to Stock Android, may be thats just due to animation involved but phone looks just entirely new. Nothing like the SGS2 i knew before. Extremely Deep Customizations available, even resizing widgets which is only available in Jelly Bean.

Its like changing the entire chassis of a Car or Bike but keeping same engines, internal parts etc

my phone is suddenly installing all the apps which i used to have with stock android. Is there some autorestore feature installed within clockworkmod? i did take complete backup with clockwork & titanium.

Last edited:

mastervk

In the zone
Guys I have bought fifa 12 & asphalt 7 for just Rs 14 each.. but now this games ask for Data download of 1GB+ damn.. please can some one share is there any way possible to download from Desktop.. I have Galaxy S3.

and even if any one can recommend something to me here.. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/163907-need-wi-fi-router-modem-around-2k.html

you can use wi fi to download directly to your phone..

else get sd data from torrent/upload site..as you have already bought the game i hope mentioning torrent is not against forum policy...

I am looking to install Cyanogen 10 ROM but why do we have to wipe out all the data in the phone? what will be lost? all my contacts, messages, data in SD Card?
every time i want to check out a new ROM, do i have to take backup of all this?

you should wipe data/cache dal vik cache while moving from one rom to another..upgrading within same rom usually does not require so....

use clockword mod for your mobile to take back up of your current rom and data..you can reastore back if you dont like new rom...

you will not loose anything from sd card(unless you format it) but all sms,contacts,app/game progress,system setting etc will be lost..

install titanium backup(free) and take backup of YOUR SYSTEM DATA ,USER DATA AND ALL APPS/GAMES..

after installing new app you can restore all apps/games and data..

while restoring system setting restore only call logs/contacts/message etc....

flashed Cyanogen 9.1.0. I wanted to go for completely stable build since this is my first time and they said 10 JB is yet to be fully stable. I took the backup of contacts & SMS. There is just a bit of lag compared to Stock Android, may be thats just due to animation involved but phone looks just entirely new. Nothing like the SGS2 i knew before. Extremely Deep Customizations available, even resizing widgets which is only available in Jelly Bean.

Its like changing the entire chassis of a Car or Bike but keeping same engines, internal parts etc

my phone is suddenly installing all the apps which i used to have with stock android. Is there some autorestore feature installed within clockworkmod? i did take complete backup with clockwork & titanium.

if you have selected backup my apps /restore my apps in Google setting and you have working connection your apps will be restored..to prevent network... usage i have suggested taking backup using titanium backup..

ajaymailed

In the zone
i rooted SGS2 with Siyah 4.1.5 kernel but only problem is phone is switching off when idle for sometime, it never happened earlier with stock firmware. It happened to me 3 to 4 times in last 2 days. Now changed to Siyah 3.3.2, wiped cache. Hopefully problem will be solved.

dalbir

Broken In
does Hindi fonts work in Android Devices like Samsung Galaxy Chat with 4.0 (ICS)?
suggest some apps for this phone.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Is there ICS 4.0.4 available for HTC One V officially & unofficially?

also Is it possible to rollback to previous version lets say from JB 4.1 to ICS 4.0.3?

Top Bottom