Tamoghno

Padawan
BTW I have a question (asked by my friend)...y companies dont put a 2000mah capacity battery in mobiles.....like he says all chineese cells comes with 2000mah+ battery...and give enough backup.

My friend measured a 1350mah chinese battery which turned out to be actually arount 900mah . I doubt they rate their battery correctly . Heck i've seen n82 lookalike with 8mp written and actually producing 640x480 images .

Btw , i am asking your friend to put two of those phones with 200mah battery in both pocket of a jeans and try to walk/work for a day . geez , ever seen how big those phones are ?
And this is the first time i heard chinese mobile is praised for battery life !

Power UP

In the zone
But the truth is there isn't many app that can take advantage of it. Currently palm pre and omnia hd uses omap . Palm pre isn't exactly the fastest device and from handson videos it seems quite a bit slower than recent nokias , specially app opening times are not very good . And samsung omnia hd is not that faster than n97 with v11 , but it performs aweful in battery life. Only advantage of omap in that device is hd video recording (which is almost useless because of super poor audio) .as for psp like gaming , yes , we know its possible but there is not many game that can use omaps gpu power . Even among ngage titles there are very very few games that actually uses the gpu and most games runs same on omap n95 and arm n85.
Dude ur are forgetting iphone os and web os. Almost everything from menu,games,apps etc. uses gpu acceleration. Just because nokia does not use it doesn't mean others won't use it.
Frankly the web os is fast and has slick animations all over. Check it out, considering its in early stages.
And its using the same PowerVR SGX gpu as the iphone 3gs so future firmwares will perfect it even more. And quite if all one wanted was speed and speed alone with nothing else matters like good ui and stuff like that, then u should check out Nokia 1100. Amazing speed. Never ever slows down.

I really don't want to compare omnia hd and n97, as they are meant for different markets but still check this video out. The situation is quite the opposite.

Samsung Omnia i8910 HD vs. Nokia N97 benchmark

As for the battery. It has good battery life. Nothing spectacular but nothing terrible either. There was mostly problems in the early prototypes. Check out the Sf forums. Many omnia hd users there, and no one is complaining about battery.
Also samsung officially announced its going to release two firmwares in the coming weeks. One to fix the audio recording by replacing amr to aac with higher sampling frequency, and the other to improve the general performance.

But still one has to be careful with samsung. Good hardware but dodgy software support. Hmmm........even Nokia is getting few sentences with tags like outdated etc.

The Ngage 2 is an embarrassment these days. Looks terrible than ngage 1 and its spewing out java ports nowadays. Compared to iphones appstore games, and u will know where the ngage stands.
Heck even using a simple app in iphone os is fun, which is quite remarkable what apple has created.

Anyways still the symbian foundation, web os, iphone os etc. are things to keep an eye out for.

Tamoghno

Padawan
While palm pre is truly one of the most beautiful and well thought out phone , i cant say its fast . May be later firmware will make it better but from the videos of v1.04 , it dont seem much faster than likes of N73 . Dont get me wrong , its still a great os and given choice i'd choose it over s60v5 anyday , but just from pure performence point of view its not fast phone.

I dont frequent sf forum so cant really tell , but i know that quite a few people in howard-forums.com have returned their omnias have returned their phone for battery life(and rf issues). Even The first guy in that forum to buy omnia hd have returned it for iphone .

I am not saying that nokia should stick to arm 369mhz forever .we all want better hardware , but i think nokia just need to work on taking more advantage of latest hardware in its OS before releasing new hardware.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yea, why upgrade when the basic users cant see the difference. And keep your crap about Nokia phones being faster than SE feature phones to yourself. Makes you look like a nomad. The N97 is a failure, the transitions make it slow, the numerous widgets running on it dampen the performance and etc et. The satio comes with 100 games specially made for that purpose and that too in nhd format(VGA) and can also play playstation games. The visual effects in the satio far surpasses anything that Nokia has in their "proprietary" OS.

And well yea, i havent tried the W995 yet and will dosp/buy one as and when it releases in kolkata. Btw, about mobile phones, i change one every 6 months or so. I have tried more phones than you have seen in your life, so keep your frustrations to yourself. :lol:

Power UP

In the zone
Palm pre compared to n73............hahahahaha :lol: the internet is full of surprises :razz:
Seriously almost everyone who saw & used the web os and even professional reviewers called it probably the only real iphone ui killer. The web os is termed as fast and is full of eyecandy. The only things u remember when using iphone os and web os is butter smooth.
If you look at it that way even iphone is "slow" , after all it also wastes precious milli seconds displaying all those animations :lol:
lol lets just drop the palm pre & n73 stuff........its just too hilarious for words :lol:

And what can i say about samsung, u have to be careful before buying samsung, which nowadays applies for nokia too.

Just look at the sf forums, you will find quite a "i am disappointed with n97" threads. From annoying bugs to defective hardware. There is dust under the screen to one guy who had to change his N97 like 3 times due defective hardware. And he bought it directly from the flagship store.
See these are the few things that early adopters face. Ofcourse these are rare instances and it doesn't necessarily mean every N97 is defective, but from time to time if u are really unlucky then u can expect a lemon.
The same with omnia hd. Probably the few early batch of omnia hd might have battery problems.These are usually replaceable. As i said check out sf, Omnia hd owners are happy with their devices, and the upcoming firmware updates should spice up things even more.
As for the potential battery issues. The omap processor is optimized for less battery power usage, it isn't just performance boost. Add an Amoled screen which uses even less power compared to an traditional Tft screen. There is even an huge 1500 mAh battery. Add firmware updates and u will get good battery life. Just check sf. Now even with all this if there is terrible battery life, then its clearly defective just like the case with N97. And replacement is advised.

Dude the existing hardware is overworked like a government mule. They added a processor fast enough in N97 to look fast enough on the surface. But multitask it side by side an omnia hd which uses the same s60v5 os , and u will know how slow it is.

Samsung Omnia i8910 HD vs. Nokia N97 benchmark

The omnia hd is almost twice as fast as a N97. The superior processor with gpu acceleration is showing its magic even with a samsung firmware. And the upcoming firmware updates will make it even better.

Anyways Omnia hd & N97 are for different people.

Lol this is reminding me of Pentium 4 and Athlon days. And dang its again going in circles :lol:

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Palm pre slower than N73?? Dude tamoghna, are you on weed :lol:?? The web OS is the best out there and the phone runs on the OMAP 3420 platform, same as the iphone 3gs and the satio. Its one of the best out there, not like any other crapp S60 phone. The closest any phone came to rally the iphone and someone here terms it slower than what?? An N73. :lol::lol:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Powerup.....U r clearly going the wrong way by compairing OmniaHD with N97
Ok u too said that...but the whole comparision is wrong.

n97 was not there to be a multimedia king....its a all-rounder device with everything a bit with good quality. It has good screen...good qwerty keypad...a responsive touch screen..and a good build at reasonable price

OmniaHD is there for multimedia only...And actually there is no competition for that.

If u say N97 is slower in comparison to omniaHD..I can say typing mails and sms in n97 is breeze..and qwerty keypad is more useful.:oops:

@Tamoghno....thanks..I would tell my friend the real truth abt chineese battery...but still y manufaturer dont put a higher capacity battery...

Power UP

In the zone
@sujoyp : Dude i already said different audience. Fanbase,ignorancy etc. will make sure n97 sells well.
The n97 is good device until u add 5800 into the equation. Double the price for what 32gb, weird qwerty keypad(yup get used to it), and tonnes & tonnes of new features :)

But anyway those who want to buy an n97 and are all dead set about it, then buy it by all means.
And be happy :)

Ok i think we are seriously going offtopic.

Back to the N86

Tamoghno

Padawan
@Tamoghno....thanks..I would tell my friend the real truth abt chineese battery...but still y manufaturer dont put a higher capacity battery...

Probably size , may be cost . Those chinese batteries alone are of size of nokia 1202 , and most chinese phones are really big . Btw , e71/n97 uses 1500 mah battery (omnia hd also i think) , not too bad. E71 have pretty good battery 3-4 days moderate use .

Tamoghno

Padawan
Palm pre compared to n73............hahahahaha :lol: the internet is full of surprises :razz:
Seriously almost everyone who saw & used the web os and even professional reviewers called it probably the only real iphone ui killer. The web os is termed as fast and is full of eyecandy. The only things u remember when using iphone os and web os is butter smooth.

Well i confess n73 was a bit too much , i actually couldn't find a device in between n73 and n95 regarding ui speed, so used the n73 analogy .

I am a big fan of webos and i really how beautifully and thoughtfully the entire os is designed . I really like the concept of 'cards' and synergy . Its surely a iphone killer. BUT i dont think its a 'fast' os . Btw , if you feel that iphone 3G is fast then definition of fast is different between me and you . End of argument.

And iys obvious that omnia hd will score lot better in benchmark. But in real world omnia is not much faster . The comparison shows that omnia is even a bit slower in browser . So what i want to say is even with omap 3430 omnia cant really take advantage of its powerful procy optimally.

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Well well .. ver 11 firmware is out for N86 . Need to get the euro 1 version and see is there any camera improvements.

N97 is designed to be a ultimate internet device whereas Omnia hd as ultimate multimedia device... The days of true all in one great device is no more..

Omap or non-omap ... even i am confused..

Power UP

In the zone
Well i confess n73 was a bit too much , i actually couldn't find a device in between n73 and n95 regarding ui speed, so used the n73 analogy .

I am a big fan of webos and i really how beautifully and thoughtfully the entire os is designed . I really like the concept of 'cards' and synergy . Its surely a iphone killer. BUT i dont think its a 'fast' os . Btw , if you feel that iphone 3G is fast then definition of fast is different between me and you . End of argument.

And iys obvious that omnia hd will score lot better in benchmark. But in real world omnia is not much faster . The comparison shows that omnia is even a bit slower in browser . So what i want to say is even with omap 3430 omnia cant really take advantage of its powerful procy optimally.

Really the only three people on the whole internet who can even think of comparing n73 and web os :)) just joking ;-)

Actually the Speedy Go! uses more real world tests than synthetic tests. It comprises of various basic tests like opening apps etc. opening it closing it, noting the time it takes, creating a normal multitasking environment i.e., simulating real world scenario. It even includes very basic graphics test just to test the speed of ui rendering elements like even simple transitions. It gives u an average of the the tests to give u the speed of the phone in simple numbers.

And here

It's worth remembering that Speedy Go! does not test advanced features like 3D/SVG grapics, multimedia, etc., so it does not take full advantage of Omnia HD's powerful CPU and GPU. If it did, the speed difference would be even higher!

*my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_omnia_hd.php

As said before it treats the two processors as same as possible to give more accurate real word tests. Just running one or two apps at a time won't give u much speed difference, but try a heavy multitask and u will notice the gap quite easily.
And as said above if it included much more complex tests then omap results will be on top of the Himalaya.

And as for browser performance, here comes the usual samsung dodgy software support. The webkit based browser needs more fine tuned optimizations. Samsung has announced to release newer firmware updates fixing the current issues like audio recording and performance. The omnia currently is running fast on just pure processor strength with mostly unoptimized os. The updates will do good to it.

And here more battery news

The Omnia HD comes with a 1500 mAh battery, i.e. the same capacity as the N97. It's very hard to directly and precisely compare and measure battery life as it depends on too many factors. Based on few weeks of use I can say that both these phones deliver very comparable battery life, which means that Omnia's bigger screen or more powerful processor do not actually consume more power. On typical use, both phones work two days and while used really extensively (lots of phone calls, data transmission, video recording, multimedia) should safely last one full day. HD video recording does not seem to affect battery life in a larger degree than VGA recording on other S60 phones, either. Almost one full hour of video recording (with additional playback to check what has been recorded) only consumed two battery indicator bars out of seven.

And as said before iphone os and web os are beautifully using the PowerVR SGX GPU. So all the others need to do is properly optimize the os to take proper advantage of the cpu and gpu acceleration with proper hardware. The current symbian platform needs a serious face lift, looked good a few years back but now looks as bland as a duck. Probably the upcoming symbian foundation will tackle the issue.

On a side note the Samsung INNOV8 still costs 40k. A few screws loose perhaps eh samsung india :lol:
Ah N97 and INNOV8 the great "flagship" amigos :lol:

Tamoghno

Padawan
^^ from which site did you quote the battery performence ? I know a few folks in howardforums who actually went nuts about battery life and my comments are basically based on that . People were comparing it with n95 with first firmware , when it couldn't even last till evening. Also knowing samsung i'd be really surprised if they can actually deliver promised battery.

Regarding firmware update , omnia badly needs it . Omnia's video is practically useless coz its equivalant to video without sound. Its only logical that samsung would do something about their flagship imaging phone. But i doubt they will do anything to optimise performence , none of the samsung s60 have seen any significant firmware updates till now.

Btw , i cant believe innov8 is still 40k , i think it'll see the single biggest price cut in history . even if they price it around n86 it'd be ~50% price cut !

Power UP

In the zone
The Omnia HD comes with a 1500 mAh battery, i.e. the same capacity as the N97. It's very hard to directly and precisely compare and measure battery life as it depends on too many factors. Based on few weeks of use I can say that both these phones deliver very comparable battery life, which means that Omnia's bigger screen or more powerful processor do not actually consume more power. On typical use, both phones work two days and while used really extensively (lots of phone calls, data transmission, video recording, multimedia) should safely last one full day. HD video recording does not seem to affect battery life in a larger degree than VGA recording on other S60 phones, either. Almost one full hour of video recording (with additional playback to check what has been recorded) only consumed two battery indicator bars out of seven.

*my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_omnia_hd.php

Actually a few comments from a few anonymous users on a forum isn't the ultimate gospel of truth :grin:

There were few guys at sf who bought an n97 but instead got a lemon. These are rare instances and usually occur for early adopters. One doesn't label the entire phone as bad just because of few minor incidents. Better to get info from reliable sources.

But quite frankly i won't be surprised if i hear more bad build quality issues from Nokia. 5800,N85,N81 etc. had a questionable build quality.
At least samsung is been providing reliable build quality with very minor issues.

Samsung officially announced the updates to fix audio and improve performance. Omnia hd got quite the negative rep for their decision to use amr. So i am pretty sure they will fix it and roll out more updates. They don't want to ruin the future sales.

Anyways talking about buggy phones, check out the N97, it takes the cake. You should read those "i am disappointed with n97" threads, and you will question urself how the hell did they release such a buggy device as final product.

Both will get updates and hopefully fix the bugs and improve performance.

Tamoghno

Padawan
Actually a few comments from a few anonymous users on a forum isn't the ultimate gospel of truth :grin:

i am talking about howardforums.com which is one the best forums for s60 phones and people there are really demanding . i dont consider them 'few anonymous member here and there' . at least two well known members have given their actual usage experience.

There were few guys at sf who bought an n97 but instead got a lemon. These are rare instances and usually occur for early adopters. One doesn't label the entire phone as bad just because of few minor incidents. Better to get info from reliable sources.

what is the reliable source ? gsmarena.com ? mobile-review.com ? no thanks i'd rather take words of a reliable forum member. for example , if you look at the review of 5800's camera sample they are almost identical to n78 but in real world 5800 performs much worse and every forum complains about it while most review gave it a 'ok'. remember how samsung i450 got reve reviews for sound quality yet cant even deliver enough volume for most user ?

But quite frankly i won't be surprised if i hear more bad build quality issues from Nokia. 5800,N85,N81 etc. had a questionable build quality.
At least samsung is been providing reliable build quality with very minor issues.

completely agree . but i am yet to see a negative comment about n86/97. btw , i own a 5800 so i know the pain of having a 19k phone that feels like rs900 phone.built and feel and looks are areas samsung does real great job.

Anyways talking about buggy phones, check out the N97, it takes the cake. You should read those "i am disappointed with n97" threads, and you will question urself how the hell did they release such a buggy device as final product.

Both will get updates and hopefully fix the bugs and improve performance.

i closely follow many s60 forums and i haven't seen many disappointed users . in most 'i hate n97 ' threads people complain about n97 not having better hardware or 12mp cam or uber features , but except for 'keylock' bug , i dont hear much complain about performence of the device (not counting peoples general bashing over s60's dated ui).

btw , n97 already had an update which have solved keylock bug , improved browser further and increased the free ram and overall made device faster. i bet n97 will recieve like 10xmore software update than omnia. i dont feel confident with samsung who never delivered any update to even innov8.

Power UP

In the zone
i am talking about howardforums.com which is one the best forums for s60 phones and people there are really demanding . i dont consider them 'few anonymous member here and there' . at least two well known members have given their actual usage experience.

what is the reliable source ? gsmarena.com ? mobile-review.com ? no thanks i'd rather take words of a reliable forum member. for example , if you look at the review of 5800's camera sample they are almost identical to n78 but in real world 5800 performs much worse and every forum complains about it while most review gave it a 'ok'. remember how samsung i450 got reve reviews for sound quality yet cant even deliver enough volume for most user ?

completely agree . but i am yet to see a negative comment about n86/97. btw , i own a 5800 so i know the pain of having a 19k phone that feels like rs900 phone.built and feel and looks are areas samsung does real great job.

i closely follow many s60 forums and i haven't seen many disappointed users . in most 'i hate n97 ' threads people complain about n97 not having better hardware or 12mp cam or uber features , but except for 'keylock' bug , i dont hear much complain about performence of the device (not counting peoples general bashing over s60's dated ui).

btw , n97 already had an update which have solved keylock bug , improved browser further and increased the free ram and overall made device faster. i bet n97 will recieve like 10xmore software update than omnia. i dont feel confident with samsung who never delivered any update to even innov8.
Dude this is the thing i am talking about. Even the so called well known members are not under any oath to give 100% (heck even half of it) unbiased reviews.
Take for example this forum TD. Has a quite a fair number of fanboys. There is one particular member. He is quite well known and but the thing is he hates nokia from head to tail. A totally new guy visits here and he read posts from this well known member bashing a nokia device even when the mobile doesn't even deserve a quarter of the bashing. Now is it the smart thing to read it and think that is one universal truth ? Even though the member is well known but he still protected under the internet.
When i visited sf for info on N97, a few owners were complaining that it had poor build quality. Did i stop there for my quest for info and go around other forums posting that N97 has sucky buid quality just from reading from a few members. Nope i did the smart thing and visited various well known mobile sites etc. and read, watched etc. I collected info and summarized that even though N97 has other problems, it generally has a very good build quality.

On the other hand well known sites like gsmarena etc. reviews are more reliable. Ofcourse no one is a saint and there will some amount of bias, but still more reliable. These sites generate revenue through the traffic,ads etc. Now if it starts posting extremely biased reviews it will only alienate itself. Take for example esato forum. Its an se forum, so u will have a tough time finding an unbiased nokia mobile review from members.
Fanboyism, even previous bad experiences and various other influences can warp ur thoughts.

Ofcourse the few members from howardforums might had gotten a few bad devices, the same which happened to the few members in SF. But that doesn't mean entire Omnia hd's and N97's are bad.That's like calling the entire mankind murderers just beacuse of a few. These are few isolated cases and it happens to almost any device. A few errors do occur during assembly. And if it really has questionable build quality like the 5800, then it will be posted in various mobile sites.

Probably one of the best methods is to not stop at just one source, visit various sites and collect info and summarize the facts from it.
Reminds me of the frog in the well which thought that the well was the entire world. One has to go out to realise how vast it is.

As for n97 complaints start at sf but also use google. The are different types of bugs like memory leaks, widget ui crashing, phone hanging etc. Omnia hd is no exception here either and has almost the same type of bugs. But these are all isolated incidents and can be mostly fixed.

You have a cheap looking 5800...........hmmm i have a N82 with cheap looking keypad. So i can understand ur pain :)) but seriously looks wasn't the only main criteria was it ;-)

See the thing is most people don't know what are all the alternatives. They stick with a well know brand to avoid taking risks even when the said product is not the best available or overpriced.
Take for example the Pentium 4 and Athlon processors. Most people bought the P4 and were satisfied with it. Most didn't know about athlons. The people who knew still most didn't take the risk.
Here in india for most computer=intel
I went to my computer dealer a few months back, to buy a few hardware. When i asked him about amd processors, he started singing the usual song u hear from most. But one part "Amd processors expires after 3 years" i couldn't stop my laughter when i heard that :lol:

The same thing is happening with N97. Most didn't want to venture in new territory and rather get "used" to the scroll bar, double/single click etc. Frankly most people get adjusted and force themselves to feel satisfied with it. After all if u start hating a device from day one for minor issues then u will soon feel u just flushed money down the toilet :smile:

With phone like innov8, samsung tried to show the world that they can bring advanced tech much before others. Its fandom was increasing.
Finally now with Omnia hd and its various other devices, it has a large user base and the increasing market share.
Now this caused phones like Omnia hd to become extremely popular and many started buying it. Now when the user base was growing rapidly, the usual samsung pathetic software support couldn't be kept under wraps for too long. The poor sound recording news spread like wildfire and was posted in various mobile sites and forums. It was heavily criticised, emails were sent, samsung forums were bombarded with complaints.
Finally samsung acknowledged it and announced firmware updates coming to fix audio and further improve performance.
The omnia hd is under heavy scanner. Samsung will provide updates, cause the last thing they want now is to be stereotyped infront of whole world as providing lousy software support.

Ofcourse nokia will have 10x or even 20x times more updates. But i would rather use a device which is mostly bug free at retail and 5 or 6 more updates to fix the remaining minor bugs than a device which is very buggy and has 30 or 40 updates. Thats me.
Just think for example an average guy bought the device who has no clue what hacking,firmware updates etc. are, he will probably know mostly the basic stuff. He will be disappointed with it not knowing how to fix it and learn to live with the bugs or take it to service center and endure its associated headaches.

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
It looks like I need to wait till the firmware update is available for our region as I am not able to change product code using nss. Its not working properly due to some usb drivers issue. Someone can help in this regard?

As far as build and feel goes, N86 is quite up there.For me looks are good too. And its quite heavy.

And I dont think any manufacturer can give a smartphone which is 100% bug free from start. Not possible. Even the mighty N82 had some bugs. Yes , N86 has it too. They will get fixed.
What I am curious about is whether there is any update regarding the camera in N86 ver 11 firmware update.

Ok ..did figure out something about nss.. lets me see..

Last edited:

Tamoghno

Padawan
It looks like I need to wait till the firmware update is available for our region as I am not able to change product code using nss. Its not working properly due to some usb drivers issue. Someone can help in this regard?

As far as build and feel goes, N86 is quite up there.For me looks are good too. And its quite heavy.

And I dont think any manufacturer can give a smartphone which is 100% bug free from start. Not possible. Even the mighty N82 had some bugs. Yes , N86 has it too. They will get fixed.
What I am curious about is whether there is any update regarding the camera in N86 ver 11 firmware update.

Ok ..did figure out something about nss.. lets me see..

Afaik , NSS dont work with newer devices . There is another tool i cant remember right now , let me find the name for you .

Btw , there is no significant update in v11 firmware , so i think its better to play safe with changing product code.

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
@ to all guys- Pls be on topic .. and fanboy- discuss ur satio, walkman or cybershit somewhere else .. enough of ur bullshit ..

sujoyp

Grand Master
@powerup

*my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_omnia_hd.php link given by you surely clears all doubts about omap3 processor..great article great videos
The speed difference between omnia HD omap3 +256ram and N97arm+128 ram is clearly visible

Top Bottom