[Must Read] Information regarding Indian Debit Cards.

sushovan

In the zone
what should I go for? Easy access saving account with Classic debit or Prime savings with Titanium Prime Debit card? (Axis)

Jinilthedon

Right off the assembly line
Guys,I've started a new savings account with ICICI.My account got activated,everything went smooth.I've been following this site for some time and it has come to my attention that I need to activate some "cross currency" feature to perform international transactions.So how do i exactly activate it ?I've called their customer service and the details were all vague.Press "1" to blah blah,press 2 yada yada.Maybe I wasn't sharp enough and missed out.

So my tiny query is how can I activate the cross currency feature,so that I can perform the international transactions on steam,Itunes etc.

It's an ICICI Visa debit card.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jinilthedon

Guys,I've started a new savings account with ICICI.My account got activated,everything went smooth.I've been following this site for some time and it has come to my attention that I need to activate some "cross currency" feature to perform international transactions.So how do i exactly activate it ?I've called their customer service and the details were all vague.Press "1" to blah blah,press 2 yada yada.Maybe I wasn't sharp enough and missed out.

So my tiny query is how can I activate the cross currency feature,so that I can perform the international transactions on steam,Itunes etc.

It's an ICICI Visa debit card.

Thanks.

BUMP ! Guys,I would appreciate if someone could reply to me soon.I've been over this for weeks and I can't wait anymore.I've already missed a plethora of awesome deals.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Your best bet is to visit nearest branch of the bank and get it clarified. I have hdfc card,and it comes as International debit card so out of the box purchases in foreign change is supported.

Jinilthedon

The nearest branch employees do not understand what I really require.Meaning they're constantly saying that if I have to perform international transactions,they've given the accordant id and password and just use those credentials.But when I visit the ICICI website,it's written that due to the RBI rule,I have to call the CC and activate it.I'm confused here...

Then when I called to the CC,no mention of any international transaction or whatever.

So how you ICICI customers activated this ?

This is what the ICICI website say verbatim.

"All customers of the Bank, who have been issued a debit card after December 01, 2013 would be required to call customer care before usage of debit card for international debit card".

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Yes,absolutely.There's no mention of anything related to international transaction there...

I'm sure I've activated my card.I've done a transaction after processing my savings account.

Is your card a magnetic stripe one or a chip one? Magnetic stripe Cards have been restricted from international transactions.

amjath

Human Spambot
Is your card a magnetic stripe one or a chip one? Magnetic stripe Cards have been restricted from international transactions.
You sure. My HDFC card doesn't have chip. I turned on international transaction but I couldn't do steam purchase after that too

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
You sure. My HDFC card doesn't have chip. I turned on international transaction but I couldn't do steam purchase after that too

Yeah. Mag stripe Cards issued prior to 30-11-13 have been restricted from international purchases. Mine Bank of Baroda Visa Electron was declined all of a sudden few months back. We should get a chip one.

amjath

Human Spambot
Yeah. Mag stripe Cards issued prior to 30-11-13 have been restricted from international purchases. Mine Bank of Baroda Visa Electron was declined all of a sudden few months back. We should get a chip one.
Can we request for the chip card?
They will charge for the card right?

Jinilthedon

I think mine is a magnetic stripe one,maybe thats the thing.Are you sure about this,because I've not heard of this till now.

Anyway,I got my card just a week ago.It's a brand new card not one prior to the mentioned date.So it shouldn't have problem right ?or does it pertain to all magnetic stripe cards ?

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I think mine is a magnetic stripe one,maybe thats the thing.Are you sure about this,because I've not heard of this till now.

Anyway,I got my card just a week ago.It's a brand new card not one prior to the mentioned date.So it shouldn't have problem right ?or does it pertain to all magnetic stripe cards ?
For Cards issued after 30-11-2013 , international usage shall also be declined. These are RBI directed guidelines & depends on the respective banks for implementation
Reserve Bank of India

Get an EMV Chip Debit Card from your bank for international transactions.

Jinilthedon

For Cards issued after 30-11-2013 , international usage shall also be declined. These are RBI directed guidelines & depends on the respective banks for implementation
Reserve Bank of India

Get an EMV Chip Debit Card from your bank for international transactions.

Thanks dude.Will do ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

So When I've checked the chip card details in the ICICI website,it's specified that it's a premium chip card,so annual fee will be charged,which is Rs.500 + service tax.

Is this the thing I'm looking for or are there any standard chip card which doesn't require an annual fee ?
Where all the ICICI customers who were active in this topic... ?

If it's indeed the premium one,I'll have to order one soon.So please reply soon.