MUMBAI controversy

what do u think about this controversy ?

• political gimmick and i dont agree to such claims

Votes: 56 77.8%
  • not a political gimmick and i am with this

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • i dont care

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
:confused: hey dude it means jai hind = jai india not jai hindii....ok you got it now..:rolleyes:
thats the problem with u guys u dont read the topics and just come in between and start talking sh1t:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=740987&postcount=91

last para/quote

khada=stand

and now its pwnage time: if hindi is so much same then why do u have a problem with it :?:

jithudigitised

Wanna be *****ised...
thats the problem with u guys u dont read the topics and just come in between and start talking sh1t:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=740987&postcount=91

last para/quote

that may be beacuse when persian came here they only visited hindi talking people..in the north...and they named it as hindi = indian.:idea:..(i became a historian...haha... :rolleyes:) the misunderstanding has happened before in history also...
khada=stand
thanks
and now its pwnage time: if hindi is so much same then why do u have a problem with it :?:

now u dont read the topics and just come in between and start talking sh1t:
the problem here is not talking hindi..but imposing hindi on others..:?: got it..

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@karnivore:very well said.
It is indeed a pity,that Hindi chauvinism is high in north indian states.they expects whole India is talking Hindi.I bet u'll forget ur Hindi in a big fart if u come to Kerala :evil:

We are still Indians @imav.if morons like you are here to put oil on fire,It is indeed possible that there may be another nation downsouth.

I have read the comments of One of the British Viseroy to India that "South India is to be kept away from N India otherwise this northies will corrupt,predate our culture,people."

Still,there is nothing we need to fear with Hindi or tamil as of now in Kerala.

If hindians inflow is too much,better we need to get them packed back to North in near future maybe :rolleyes:

I think after reiterating the points many times,if northies cannot understand what it feels to us the Hindi imposition,then my Middle fingure got a symbol to you :evil:

Malayalees anywhere if stayed longtime,learns the language,culture of that area and it is hard to find a malayali among a batch of Gujarathi's.thats what I call the openmindness to embrace the culture where you live.
while a Sardar will never try to learn Malayalam if he is in Kerala unless he is forced to.

In a brief:India is called a Democratic country,still non-hindi speaking majority population of India are forced to learn hindi via DD channels ,AIR,Central gov establishments for around 60+ years now.but still proud regional language people from different states be it kerela or bengal reaffirm the thinking that like britishers forced their culture on northies and pakistanis and they resisted.

now after Independence,it is the chance of northies to force their hindi,movies all to down south and east :rolleyes:

why dont u Hindians learn English?is it hard to understand what I and others said all over the thread?Why dont u English educate ur poor people in bihar,MP,UP,punjab etc?what is wrong?rather than learning various dialects of Hindi,they will be more civilized and may even secure a job with English education.best of Luck :)

Bangalore,Bombay are already lost into the hands of hindians.
Oh Maharashtrians(genuine,not immigrants),kannadiga's and Malayalees
make sure you dont give this damn a$$holes imposing you Hindi :x

fcuk Hindi,fcuk intolerable Hindians.

Annadurai's Speech in Indian Parliament

In an address in 1962, former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C N Annadurai made the following statements opposing Hindi imposition: "It is claimed that Hindi should be common language because it is spoken by the majority. Why should we then claim the tiger as our national animal instead of the rat which is so much more numerous? Or the peacock as our national bird when the crow is ubiquitous?"
Annadurai also said,
"Since every school in India teaches English, why can't it be our link language? Why do Tamils have to study English for communication with the world and Hindi for communications within India? Do we need a big door for the big dog and a small door for the small dog? I say, let the small dog use the big door too!" [2]
Most of the people in Tamilnadu feel that if Hindi enters their land, their classical language and ancient culture/tradition would be no more, citing cities like Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad where the native language is rendered nearly auxiliary; in any of these cities it is entirely possible to live without knowing the native language with Hindi serving as lingua franca; in so much that both political and non-political organizations alike have expressed concerns over the future of their respective languages and cultures [3][4] [5][6].

The constitution of India came into existence on January 26, 1950. Enshrined in the constitution was the status of Hindi and English to be the "Official Languages" of the Central Government of India till 1965 (for a period of 15 years), after which Hindi was expected to take up the pre-eminent position as the sole "National and Official Language" of India irrespective of the state or central government. Hindi and English were the "Official Languages" in every department controlled by the Central Government, which is why Hindi is prominent in Railways, Nationalised Banks etc which come under the Central Government.
As January 26, 1965 neared, waves of non-Hindi speakers, started voicing their apprehensions openly, notably Tamils contribution is significant. Between 1948 and 1961, on an average, every year close to 24% of Central Government Officials were selected from the state of Madras (present day Tamil Nadu). The next best was Uttar Pradesh with about 16%. The idea of making Hindi the sole National language was blasphemous to the students as it was combined with the complete removal of English - even as a medium for competitive examinations for jobs and education. This would mean that the Northern regions with their Hindi proficiency would dominate the government posts and also education. Since government jobs were the most lucrative positions before 1991 liberalization, this was seen as an indirect means to usurp the English-educated South Indians of jobs. The non-Hindi-speaking people in South India feared that they would be discriminated against in government employment and in other ways. The pro-Hindi fanatics in Jan Sangh prowled the streets of New Delhi, blackening out any English sign.[12]. Annadurai said you can speak Tamil and English and still be a good Indian.
The anti-Hindi agitations also led to the demand for creation of Dravidistan, a separate state for the speakers of Dravidian languages. [13], while some others considered it as a result of the divide and rule principle of the British. A coterie of Congress bigwigs like S. Nijalingappa (CM of Mysore), Kamaraj (Congress President), Sanjiva Reddy (Union Minister), Atulya Ghosh (Bengal Congress President) realised the gravity of the situation and asked the Prime Minster, Shastri to revoke the policy of making Hindi the sole "National Language".
Shastri, even though supportive of the pro-Hindi group, realising the seriousness, came up with a set of compromises that did not give Hindi any "Sole National Language" status. Most importantly, English was not removed from being a medium for competitive examinations like the All India Civil Services Examination. Also, the transaction between the State and the Central will be in the Official language of the state accompanied with an English translation. For example, communication from Tamil Nadu to the Central Government will be in Tamil and English; communication from the center to Tamil Nadu will be in English and Hindi. Thus, the 1965 anti Hindi agitation subsided.[14]

Consequences of 1965

1. India ended up having 20+ "Official Languages" and no sole "National Language" similar to the modern European Union.
  2. English remains as one of the two official languages of the Union and is seen as a huge positive in the globalised, post-1991 Indian economy.
  3. Every state has its own "Official Language", which can be different from that of the Central Government's "Official Languages" which are Hindi and English. Out of the 28 states and 7 UTs, 18 states and 4 UTs do not have Hindi as one of the "Official Languages" for state government transactions.
  4. Many states adopt the state level language and English as the official languages. For example, Tamil Nadu has Tamil and English as the "Official Languages". However, some of these ( Congress ruled ) states have promoted the teaching of Hindi as a third language throughout their school systems.
  5. The Congress was thrown out of power in 1967 and never managed to be a potent force in Tamil Nadu. This need not be a direct consequence of anti-Hindi imposition.
  6. The Union government has now adopted a sensible vision to educate the hindi speaking masses in the core hindi states to learn English and understand that they should co-exist with equal respect their non-hindi country men.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Hindi_agitations
and to the blind a$$holes of northistan:
1. THREE PRONOUNCEMENTS
The people who matter, and who should know their business well, made two, rather three, important pronouncements in the month under review. The Education Minister of the Tamilnadu AIADMK Government, Hon'ble Thiru M. Thambidurai, declared that the three-language formula mooted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training is an indirect attempt to impose Hindi on the non-Hindi -speaking people. The State Government stood by the two-language formula and would not accept the move to introduce a third language that would prove an additional burden on the students, the Minister said.
Thiru Thambidurai declared, like his predecessors since the independence of the country, and since the linguistic re-organization of the states in India, that the Tamilnadu Government was committed to promoting Tamil as the medium of instruction at all levels including that of higher education. Since non-availability of books in Tamil, particularly in science disciplines, was cited as a major impediment for students, the Government had encouraged universities to bring out textbooks in Tamil. He also said that many universities in Tamilnadu were not properly utilizing government grants given for bringing out books in Tamil.
2. TAMIL JINGOISM FOSTERED BY THE GOVERNMENT
During this month, the Minister of Tamilnadu made the statement at least twice that the NCERT is trying to impose Hindi on the non-Hindi people in an indirect manner through the proposed revision of the curriculum. Once in a while, the governments in Tamilnadu must assert their loyalty and love to Tamil, and their resistance to Hindi! Mother Tamil must be worshipped and adored as a goddess. Idols must be erected, and the people should be told that Tamil has no match in this world in terms of its history, continuity, purity, and literature! At the same time, Tamil as a language of communication will languish, unable to meet the basic communication needs of the people in modern times.
3. HEROIC MEDDLERS, NOTIONS OF DEMOCRACTIC DECISION, ETC.
An official of the NCERT chose to say that the decision (on the proposed language curriculum) was arrived at through a "democratic" process. While there is some truth in this statement, for the educational agencies of the various state governments might have been involved in the process of arriving at the proposed curriculum, his statement only shows how sensitive issues that would rock the nation in the future would be shown now to be a "democratic" decision by the officialdom.
The concept of democracy, rule by the majority, is least applicable to the conditions such as the Pro-Hindi and Anti-Hindi positions, the issues that involve the very concept of Indian nationhood. We have gone through this process or farce (of democratic decision, and democratic majority) in 1960s. Perhaps there is a generation gap, or an unwillingness, or sheer and wanton ignorance on the part of the official and the agency that he represents to see that the language issue of the country is not an easy issue to be solved with such notions as "democratic" consultations, and "democratic majority." It is to be elevated to the highest level of thinking that would consider the unity of the country as the most important point, and the thinking and action that would engender a belief in every part of India that they receive a good treatment within the Indian Union.
4. ANTI-HINDI AGITATIONS
In the recent past, there were two major Anti-Hindi agitations in the South, one in the 1930s, and another in the 1960s. Dozens of people who participated in the Anti-Hindi agitation of the 1930s are still around. There are thousands and thousands of those who participated in the agitation of the 1960s very much active even now in the political life of south India.
5. HISTORICAL REASONS
Eminent Indian historians, from the north, south, east, and west, have carefully analyzed the causes of the resistance to Hindi in south India and have suggested that, among other things, some linguistic-ethnic communities like the Tamils have long preserved traditions of resisting the impact and domination of other languages in their age-old history. The grammatical, literary, religious, archaeological, and other knowledge-based systems have developed among the Tamils deliberately focusing on their language and the conventions developed independent of or based on other Indian traditions. Where there was dependence on Sanskrit, the pioneers in the various fields had always tried to adopt methods of loan translation.
The reason offered by the Education Minister of Tamilnadu as to why the Tamilnadu Government of his party would not accept the Three Language Formula is only a small portion of the resistance movement against the teaching of Hindi.
6. POLITICAL EXIGENCIES
Political exigencies have forced the DMK, AIADMK, and their splinter groups to somewhat ignore their original agenda and focus on the internecine quarrels among themselves in the last twenty-five years. This does not mean, however, that these groups or others in the political arena in south India, would totally give up their resistance to making Hindi the sole official or the dominant language of communication at the Centre and for the Central government programs in their own provinces. The assurance given by Jawaharlal Nehru, and the 1968 Official Languages Act are good beginnings, based on which we should be able to work out an amiable solution through statesman-like pronouncements and actions at the ground level. Nation building does not end with the framing of the Constitution; it actually begins with the promulgation of the Constitution. 7. THE PRIME MINISTER'S PRONOUNCEMENT ON THE ROLE OF HINDI
The third pronouncement is from the Prime Minister of India. The Hon'ble Atal Behari Vajpayee, a great poet, orator, and lover of Indian languages and literatures, chose to comment on the position of Hindi when a splinter group of the AIADMK, called MGR-AIADMK, joined the BJP. He reiterated the position of Hindi as the link language, the official language, as envisaged in the Constitution of India. If he thought that the people who originally resisted Hindi as the official language of India, are coming to join his party that stoutly stood for a pro-Hindi position, he has really missed the point. Political exigencies will not soften the historic trends, but statesmanship will. Is he trying to send a message to the Dravidian parties that the issue is dead now? Or is he indirectly answering the banner of resistance raised by the Education Minister of Tamilnadu in the early part of January? Only time will tell.
*** *** ***​
*www.languageinindia.com/feb2002/feb2002notes.html

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
u are the 1 who wants to partition india you are the 1 who is says i have un-employed north indians around my area .... you are the 1 talking like politicians not me ;) dont show links and quotes because they do not vindicate u of the statements u have made earlier

karnivore

in your face..
I am not sure, how you got the impression that i hav only read a few posts and "jumped" to make my own post. For the following posts........

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=740616&postcount=85

second para here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741063&postcount=94

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741491&postcount=99

.......my reply was (i hate to do this, though)......
As with certain other members, who do not understand, the difference between something that is “constitutionally” national and something that is “perceived as” national, or for that matter, why something is constitutionally recognized as “national”, you have a long, long road ahead. Keep walking.
Obviously it was too subtle for your.......well, lets just say, understanding.

why are all international exams in english that is imposition of english germans should be allowed to give all international exams in german otherwise its an un-fair advantage to those who know english;....
The so called international exams, that r in english, r meant for Universities in countries, where official language is English. And if u cared to ponder, all these countries are largely monolinguistic. Exceptions are there, like Canada.

...i said earlier hindi is to india what english is to the world
This is by far the worst logic, in favour of hindi, that i have come across in all my life. Last time i checked, english was far from being the common language of the world. English is indeed the most influential language, but no way common language. If at all u want to equate any international entity in the context of Indian linguistic problem, EU is probably the one that comes close. Guess what, EU doesn't have any common language, just 23 or 26 official languages. And it is hardly a riddler, to the rational brain, of course. I am still not sure if a country's unique problem can be at all equated to the world at large. Laws, regulations etc are all different at international level, for obvious reasons. But if u argue, that since it is good internationally, it is good for India, as well, then i give up.

A little suggestion. Go through Language Conflict and National Development by Jyotirindra Das Gupta, if at all you want to know about the linguistic problem of India.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
.......my reply was (i hate to do this, though)......

Obviously it was too subtle for your.......well, lets just say, understanding.
understanding .... hmmm well u seem to be missing the point -- which is that hindi is a language that can be understood across india note theres a difference between speaking; writing and understanding - understanding is what im talking about

praka123

left this forum longback
Oh well!Hindians you can read this:

Thou Shalt Know Hindi!
Lalitha Krishnan Nair
TAMIL TRIBUNE, November 1997 (ID. 1997-11-01)

DEFINITION
Hindians: People whose mother tongue is Hindi; much of Bihar, Chhattisgarh (Chattisgarh), Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh, and some surrounding areas in northern India is their homeland. Hindian politicians control and dominate the Indian government because they form the single largest linguistic block in the Indian parliament. See the article "Who Rules India?"

A few months ago I read a posting in one of the Internet Newsgroups about Hindian arrogance. A couple from one of the Hindi states was staying at a hotel in Kodaikanal city, Tamil Nadu. The husband had some disagreement about the hotel bill at checkout time. He complained to the hotel manager in Hindi. The manager did not know Hindi. He responded in English. The guest responded in Hindi. The manager replied in English, and it went on. Finally the manager got hold of a hotel employee who knew some Hindi, and he acted as translator. The bill was settled. The husband told his wife in Hindi as they were leaving the hotel, "all these Madrasis know Hindi but they act as if they don't know. Fools!" (NOTE: Some people from north refer to South Indians as Madrasis.)

This incidence shows the utter arrogance of some Hindians. They think that India is Hindia and every Indian citizen should know Hindi. "This is India. How dare you do not speak Hindi?" is their attitude.

Suppose there were no Hindi-knowing employees at that hotel, what would happen? There is no responsibility for the hotel to have Hindi translators on hand. This is a state that does not accept Hindi as the sole official language of India and is the only state where Hindi is not taught at public schools. Most hotel managers and front-desk employees have a "working-knowledge" of English in Tamil Nadu. So is the case with taxi drivers.

It is the responsibility of the visitor to know a few basic words in the local language or have a small traveler's dictionary to get by. If I go to Japan, shall I insist that they know Malayalam or even English? I will have to take a traveler's English-Japanese dictionary with me. If I go to Hindi speaking Uttar Pradesh and insist that they do business with me in Malayalam, what will happen? I cannot get by even with English in some areas of the Indian capital New Delhi (New Delhi is located in the Hindi region). I understand that everyone does not know English, no need to. I happen to know some Hindi but if I do not, it is my responsibility to go prepared.

Also, did this man know any English at all? I have serious problem believing that he did not know even a few English words, enough to say, "I do not know English or Tamil. I know only Hindi". He did not say anything like that. He spoke only in Hindi. This is a case of sheer arrogance insisting that every Indian citizen should know Hindi. How many of them know Malayalam or, for that matter, any other Indian language?

This incidence reminds me of a news item I read back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. A politician form a Hindi speaking state was traveling by the Indian government owned Indian Airlines. He needed something, so he pressed the button for the airline stewardess and asked for it in Hindi. She did not know Hindi. (This was 25 years ago. Now Indian Airlines insists that every employee know Hindi even if they fly between non-Hindi states only. So much for repeated assurances by Prime Ministers that Hindi will not be imposed on non-Hindi speaking peoples.) Since the stewardess did not understand Hindi, the passenger in the next seat told her in English what the politician wanted. The politician shot back to the passenger, "if she does not know Hindi, I do not want it." Look at the utter arrogance of this Hindian politician! He was angry and annoyed that this stewardess employed by HIS government did not know Hindi.

===============================================
The Day a Hindi Fanatic was dragged out of the Closet
P. Kumaresan
TAMIL TRIBUNE, October 1997 (ID. 1997-10-02)

DEFINITION
Hindians: People whose mother tongue is Hindi; much of Bihar, Chhattisgarh (Chattisgarh), Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh, and some surrounding areas in northern India is their homeland. Hindian politicians control and dominate the Indian government because they form the single largest linguistic block in the Indian parliament. See the article "Who Rules India?"
Hindi, Hindi everywhere! You turn on the radio, you hear Hindi news, Hindi songs! You turn on the television, you see Hindi movies, Hindi serials, Hindi news! You fly Air India or Indian Airlines, you hear Hindi announcements, even if the fight is between Madurai and Chennai - two cities within the non-Hindi speaking Tamil Nadu. Go to the railway station, you see Hindi signs everywhere, even in rural Tamil Nadu, even if not a single person in that area (except for the station manager who is forced to learn Hindi) can read them.

"Out with English! It is the relic of the British rule" cry the Hindi politicians to the masses. One such politician is the former Chief Minister of the Hindi-speaking State of Uttar Predesh, Mulayam Singh Yadav. He championed the cause of Hindi and led a holy jihad against English. "English should be ousted from offices and schools. Hindi, and Hindi only", he shouted at public meetings. He sent correspondence in Hindi to other state chief ministers, even to chief ministers of non-Hindi speaking states.

In December 1989 he declared that he would not look at any non-Hindi document sent to his office. The English-medium schools in Uttar Pradesh drew his wrath. In his venomous public addresses he said that these schools produced "corrupt and dishonest citizens" and that they should be closed.

Taking the cue from the chief minister, mobs attacked English-medium schools and tried to forcibly close them on January 22, 1990. They said that the chief minister inspired them to act. The chief minister did not say a word against these blatantly unlawful acts of hooliganism.
Then came a shocker. A few months later he gave an interview to one of the most respected publications in the country, The Illustrated Weekly of India. The interviewer, who had done his homework, asked the chief minister if it was true that his son go to an English-medium school.

Caught in his duplicity, Yadav answered, "yes, I decided to send him to one because they make you a disciplined, selfless patriot". [This is the man who shouted from platform to platform in public meetings that English-medium schools produce "corrupt and dishonest citizens". What a hypocrite!] When he was on verbal rampages against English-medium schools, inspiring mobs to attack these schools, never once did he mention that he was sending his son to an English-medium school.

When Tamil politicians oppose the imposition of Hindi and want English to be the official language of India, these Hindi politicians would say, "Are you not ashamed to have English, the symbol of our slavery under British rule, as the official language? Don't you have any national pride?" But they will be secretly sending their children to study in the language that they say is a reminder of our slavery to the British.

If Tamil students were to protest the imposition of Hindi as the official language because it gives undue advantage to Hindians, these fork-tongued politicians would send the army to shoot, kill and maim the unarmed students in the prime of their life [Reference 1]. While Tamil students protesting Hindi imposition are killed and maimed, their children are safely in the class rooms of expensive, private schools studying in English! This is Hindia!

well,I hope the id!ots in this forum can understand How serious this language issue is after reading this :-|

dont ever think of imposing your language Hindi to rest of India.
noone is against someone who is interested in learning any languages.

But,insisting,and using central resources to moot the south Indians and force Hindi onto them-is plain Sin.

Correct your stance before it is too late.there is no justification that @imav from tomorrow must speak chinese in bombay :rolleyes: does it?
same goes to south Indians been forced hindi by hindians.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

R.K.Narayan' s Encounter with a Hindi Fanatic

*www.hindu.com/fr/2005/10/07/images/2005100701840301.jpg
At Delhi I met a man who complained, 'I'm back from Madras after a visit, and there I found to my shock, they do not receive the Hindi news on Doordarshan, but only Tamil news from the Madras Kendra at 8:40 pm. Who permitted this and why ?'

'For the reason that Hindi is not understood in that part of the country'

'How can you say that ? It's unconstitutional to avoid Hindi. Such unconstitutional practices must be discouraged.'

'It seems that the Chief Minister desired that Tamil news should be telecast at that hour.'

'Oh! Oh! Chief Minister indeed ! If we go on consulting every Chief Minister's wish, we will get nowhere.

'But I repeat, Hindi is not understood in Madras'

How can it not be understood while it is written down in the constitution as the official language ?'

'You can give a man an excellent cookery book, but it will not help if he has not learnt how to cook.'

'What cookery book ? In Hindi or English ?'

'What does it matter ?'

'If it is in Hindi, he must understand it.'

'It's probably in English.'

'English can have no place in our country. It is not in the Eighth Schedule.'

'Whatever you may say, Hindi is not understood, and whatever is not understood remains ununderstood .... It's axiomatic, you cannot escape it.

Hindi is easy to learn. No axiom in it, whatever it means'.

'You may want o shout your message in Hindi through a loudspeaker, but it will make no sense to one who is deaf to it.'

'It seems to me just perversity. Hindi is easy to learn, a gentle language.'

I agree it is a gentle language, but being promoted in ungentle ways.'

'Why won't you people of the south accept it ?'

'Listen. Because of champions like you, who assume a dictatorial tone and decree must and must not for others. Your tone is self-defeating, counter-productive. While the old caste system is condemned, you are displaying a new caste-superiority and preen yourselves before non-Hindi folk and attempt to order them about, which looks comical. You will have to mend your manners. Approach us normally, with humility, if you wish to achieve results. If you remember, there was a time when in most south Indian homes there were at least a couple of members who attended Hindi classes and appeared for examinations voluntarily, but all that stopped the moment the order came from Delhi that everyone should know Hindi as the only language. It is a historical fact. Think it over. There is still a chance that we shall attain national integration. Good-bye till then.

'Before you go I want to compliment you on your excellent English. Keep it up, otherwise we could not have exchanged ideas. You would perhaps have gone on in Hindi and I would have been so eloquent in Tamil. The situation would have been similar to the one in my story in which a travelling American and a villager he encountered on the roadside carry on a prolonged dialogue in perfect American-English and impeccable local dialect respectively .... The American thought he was making an offer for a life-size clay horse, in whose shade the villager was resting, and the villager thought the foreigner was eager to buy the goats he owned which were grazing nearby .... Well, why don't you read the story yourself unless you have made a vow not to look at an English sentence.

- From 'On Language' an essay in 'Salt and Sawdust' , a collection of stories and table-talk by R.K.Narayan.

*broken-news.blogspot.com/2006/12/rknarayan-s-encounter-with-hindi.html

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
I think this whole matter is a way to gain votes in the next poll and thats it! I remember such a case in Bihar where Lalu Prasad Yadav had tried to unite his caste against the rest and gained votes and had ruled Bihar for 15 years. This is something similar. I don't get it, what is the use of state, or even International boundaries when aliens are about to be discovered. After all, an alien would just call us earthlings. ;) So I say all of us should remain united!

karnivore

in your face..
....hindi is a language that can be understood across india note theres a difference between speaking; writing and understanding - understanding is what im talking about

Fine, point taken.

I hope u understand that "communication" is a 2-way traffic. Hindi takes care of one part. What about the other part. After "understanding" hindi, in which language should one respond/ reply back/ communicate back ? Hindi ?Native language ? English ?

Now if u say "hindi", its back to square 1
If u say "native", the whole argument falls apart.
If u say "english", then "hallelujah".

So u see, "understanding" is not the issue at all. "Communicating" is all that matters.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
All Hindi is everything people, please read this:

Hindi is a North Indian Language

India has many languages. Hindi is a North Indian language. While Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam are South Indian languages.

There is no such a thing called a National Language or Rashtra Basha in India.

Hindi is by far the most spoken language in India. Around 40% of Indians speak Hindi, but it is in no way the language that binds India. Most of the Hindi speakers are in North India. South India has its own languages, and Hindi does not feature as a prominent one.

While many South Indians (except hardliner Tamilians) learn and study Hindi, almost no North Indian learns any of the South Indian languages.

The Role of Sanskrit

Contrary to most school text book versions, Sanskrit is NOT mother of all languages in India. South Indian (or Dravidian) languages are not derived from Sanskrit. However, there is a heavy influence of Sanskrit on many of the languages in India, including Dravidian languages.

During the course of history, there have been many attempts at Sanskritization of Indian languages along the length and breadth of the country (and beyond – up to Indonesia). Sanskritization and Brahmanical Hinduism (with casteism at its core) went hand in hand thus making inroads into all corners of this subcontinent.

Brahmanical Hinduism descended upon on every kingdom and region to spread its tentacles, uprooting and extirpating Buddhism where it proliferated, and converting local deities and gods to bring them into the Brahmanical Hindu pantheon, using evolving mythology, hierarchical caste system and sanskritization as tools to spread its religion.

Even though kings and learned scholars of South India embraced Brahmanical Hinduism and allowed sankritization of regional languages, the local flavor remained the lingo of the masses, still owing its origins in Dravidian languages. In all South Indian regions, we have a colloquial version which still remains heavily Dravidian, while the literary version is heavily sanskritized.

This effect of sanksritization is seen differently in different Dravidian languages. You will see that the present-day literary Telugu (not the colloquial one) is one of the most heavily sanskritized languages in India. On the other hand, Tamil had gone on an accelerated path to remove all traces of sanskritization in the early 20th century as a part of their exercise to throw down Brahmanical Hinduism to replace it with local version (colloquial) of Hinduism. That resulted in a language that has no allegiance to Sanskrit. That also meant overthrowing of Brahmin supremacy, rejecting its caste system, challenging Sanskrit as mother of all languages in India, and defying gods suggested by Brahmanical Hinduism.

Tamilians to the rescue

With their obstinate opposition to imposition of Hindi as National Language, Tamilians rescued most of South Indians from a potential North Indian domination over South India. If Hindi was made the National Language, the Tamil scholars, who were adept in English but not in Hindi, felt they would lose out heavily in all kinds of jobs and opportunities the new country would open up.

While other South Indians did not have the same clout over Indian Administrative Services and other bureaucratic jobs, Tamils were ruling the roost. They had featured in constituent assembly and cabinet meetings to influence the thinking of the Indian Government, and they fought tooth-and-nail to oppose all moves by North Indians to impose Hindi as the national language. It was a hard won battle. And thanks to this bitter opposition, the roots of which lie in a selfish attempt to safeguard their interests, we have English as the official language for all states, making Hindi one of the many Indian languages, not a special one.

As a long term advantage, we can thank Tamils for how India took on the Information Technology Revolution and brought itself global acclaim. It allowed India to join the mainstream economies, bring employment to its people, and most important of all, emancipate its downtrodden.

Source

Read the whole article or the things i bolded. Time for some of them to come out of Mumbai and Delhi.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
While many South Indians (except hardliner Tamilians) learn and study Hindi, almost no North Indian learns any of the South Indian languages.
thats because of south indian language is more of a regional language and hindi is more of a national language and there fore institutes all over india will have hindi and a regional language and not their regional language and another state's regional language
Tamilians rescued most of South Indians from a potential North Indian domination over South India.
oh so all south languages were threatened i wonder how there was no threat to punjabi; marathi; gujrati; bengali :rolleyes: oh wait i forgot u r the guys who want a separate southern countyr with visa system. i wonder what love do north indians have with bengali or punjabi or marathi or gujrati or is it that the people whose mother tongue is that language are more open minded and rational :rolleyes:
we have English as the official language for all states, making Hindi one of the many Indian languages, not a special one.
we will find more foeigners saying namaste as opposed to vanakam and not to forget the hindi words which have found way into english dictionaries
As a long term advantage, we can thank Tamils for how India took on the Information Technology Revolution and brought itself global acclaim. It allowed India to join the mainstream economies, bring employment to its people, and most important of all, emancipate its downtrodden.
i wonder how much of a role did the regional language or hindi play in it :rolleyes: and if u want to talk about global success i rate ratan tata more than murthi for the fact he gave up his life abroad came to india and bought a company twice its size and then produced an engg wonder and is on his way to even bag 2 other global brands ;) so stick to the topic dont bring in such irrelevant egoistic concepts :cool:
Hindi is by far the most spoken language in India. Around 40% of Indians speak Hindi, but it is in no way the language that binds India. Most of the Hindi speakers are in North India. South India has its own languages, and Hindi does not feature as a prominent one.
southies prefer to show that they are over smart

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Born and brought up in Kerala, done degree in mumbai and Chennai, now working and settled in Mumbai. I don't belong anywhere. That is the tragedy. If India is to remain united, these kind of things(sons of the soil, reservation etc.) should be banned.

I ask His Holiness Raj Thackerey what he has done for Maharashtrians? He has ammassed a fortune and bought Kohinoor Mills. What about his contribution?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
off-topic
if u want to talk about global success i rate ratan tata more than murthi for the fact he gave up his life abroad came to india and bought a company twice its size and then produced an engg wonder and is on his way to even bag 2 other global brands ;)

first, i admire Ratan more, (i'm mech. engg:)))
2nd. Murthi started from NOTHING.
3rd. Ratan just sat in his father's chair & did the work a bit more efficiently.
4th. between these two, Murthi is much bigger success.

i replied here just to post my views on two tycoons.

i'm a south indian, i assure you that in no-way my post is biased.:p

----------------------------------------------
on-topic.

fighting here about lang. things is just wasting the time & you ppl r wasting your dad's/yours hard earned money (internet).

coz nothing's going to change due to this discussion, only thing happening here is ppl developing hatred towards their "once" friends/fav. members...

a mod replied here knowing this thread's full of off-topic discussion, & he too posted off-topic:D. bad, no cookies for you :p

lock, no delete this thread for good.

Last edited:

slugger

Banned
OFFTOPIC

@s1800rpm
dood the tinyurl link in ur signature shub have been a little up

the guys response(e) are freakin hilarious :D :D :D

esp his second response(!!!???) had me in splits :D

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I don't know why Hindi is looked upon by South Indians as the language of North Indians. Hindi is first and foremost India's National language and then the language of north Indians. Just like English is an International language and not just the mother tongue of the British, americans and australians. The way praka is talking, tomorrow the Chinese people will start staying that the Britishers and Americans should not use English in their country and they should learn Chinese instead. There are international and national languages for a reason. One connot be expected to know all languages. Hence people decide on a common language that is spoken by the majority and then make it the national language or the international language.

Just like we are taught the Chinese is the national language of China or Japanese is the national language of Japan, similarly the rest of the world considers Hindi as the national language of India. And here are these south Indians, who don't consider Hindi as the national language. Actually why do only south Indians have problem with Hindi?

I'm a Maharashtrian. I can speak, read and write marathi, Hindi and english. I never had problem with Hindi. I never considered Hindi to have been imposed on me. Hindi is as much imposed on me as is marathi or english. Just like being a maharashtrian i'm expected to know marathi, similarly being an Indian i'm expected to know Hindi. People calling themselves citizen of India and who cannot read write or speak Hindi or even make attempts to learn it should be ashamed of themselved. Would you like the French to expect you to talk in French in France? No you wouldn't. You'd like to talk in english cause its the international language. Similarly you're expected to talk in Hindi to a person who does not know your mother tongue (and same is expected of that person).

iMav is right. Just as from many birds the peacock was chosen as the national bird, similarly Hindi was chosen as the national language. By claiming Hindi as the language of the north indians and then not using it or insulting it shows how much of an Indian you are.

Now praka if i were to come to south india and tried to communicate with somebody there. I only know marathi and he/she only knows tamil. What should we do. Use sign language? No. Thats why a national language exists, to bridge the gap and enable communication, and its Hindi in this case. Why use english when we have languages of our own? You people are ready to accept the language of other country as your national language but not the language of your own. Shame on you.

First get this thing out of your minds that Hindi is the language of north indians only. If a north indian talks to you in Hindi, don't think he is talking in his mother tongue. Instead think he is talking in the national language. Only then will your hatred of Hindi go away. And don't forget that officially Hindi is the national language of India whether you believe it or not. By not believing you are no worse than Raj Thakrey who also does not believe that every indian has the right to settle and earn in any part of the country.

And praka stop with the morons and a$$holes. If you can't talk properly don't talk at all. One more swear word by you for any forum member and your post will be reported.

praka123

left this forum longback
^there is nothing more you can say here.I have presented the reality very well.
South Indians as a general rule prefers English as the communication language.
Hindi is not respected or even thought of in south india is what is reality.

It is impossible to convince someone from north india born and broughtup with their 5-6 languages which are very similar to Hindi and are of Indo-aryan group of origin that south Indian languages belongs to another different sect known as Indo-dravidian language which hardly have any connection with Hindi.
I meant that for Punjabi,Kasmiri,Gujarathi,Marathi,bhojpuri,sindhi,urdu native lang people.

I am a south indian and I have learnt Hindi for past 10yrs and covered almost all major aspects of that language.

I can semi-understand all above languages if I hear.that points to the unity of these language speakers.

But...That is not the case in south India.pre-independence era itself English education is preferred in south India and it is accepted by south indians as a language which can be useful for intra communication between Indians and also to communicate with rest of the world.
there is absolutely zero logic in saying that south indians should be imposed hindi inorder to communicate with northies.this is a disorder-those from north are expecting everywhere in India to follow Hindi.

But,they forgot one big thing.we are also proud,to say exactly much more proud about our language and our culture which is distinct from Hindians.

any move to force hindi to south indians is a big threat to national integrity.
but after this many facts I have put over,few a$$holes are yet to get the reality.

Indeed you people are sick with Hindi mania.
LEARN FIRST THAT YOU CAN NOT FORCE YOUR CULTURE,YOUR WAYS TO SOUTH INDIANS.

AND the best kept secret I can open for you
SOUTH INDIA IS NOT ALONE TAMILNADU;THERE ARE OTHER STATES WHICH ARE DIFFERENT FROM TAMILS,NORTHIES WITH THEIR SHARE OF DIFFERENT CULTURE WHICH IS NOT SIMILAR TO HINDIANS ALSO :x

I can explain another 100 times until a northy get the thing right :-|

There is a anti-hindi or a freedom struggle in every south Indian who
is been forced hindi

..and there are things that can be called "reality" over something called "kindi as official cr@p!" :x mind ur business u lang imposing sh!tholes :x get ur brain straight :x

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^there is nothing more you can say here.I have presented the reality very well.
which is that u hate north indians & u want to separate the southern part of india from india well accepted; raj thackeray has supporters india is a democracy and we respect such sentiments :)
Hindi is not respected or even thought of in south india is what is reality.
that my friend is because u are so full of yourself. u do not have the decency of respecting something or some 1 and u expect that the other person should extend courtesy to u an egoistic hypocrite well proved by ur comments in this thread which i might say did not surprise me but did surprise a lot people

ur comments are no different from what raj thackeray and mns is trying to say and what shiv sena said

first u support piracy then u say u want to partition india and say that u hate the north indians in ur part of the country sick man damn sick

------------------

ok coming back to the topic did any 1 see the big city debate on cnn-ibn rajdeep ne toh sabki g***d maar di if u missed it i think it will have a repeat telecast at 12 midnight and 12 noon tomoro dont miss it rajdeep was at his best

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Again the same thing. Praka why do you associate Hindi with north indians? Why can't you forget the north indians for a while and accept Hindi as the national language. I can't even imagine an Indian who cannot or would not speak Hindi. Its something you are expected to do being a citizen of India. Just like you accept the tiger as the national animal, the peacock as the national bird and the tri colour as our national flag, you are expected to accept Hindi as the national language.

And why do you have to learn the different styles of Hindi? English all over the world is spoken and even written in different styles. Still we learn and study only the Standard English. So why can't you just learn the Standard Hindi.

I'm not a supporter of Hindi or north indians. And why should I be? I'm a maharashtrian living in Mumbai (and its Mumbai for gods sake and not bombay. Just like you south indians don't like being called madrasi similarly we Mumbaiites don't like it to be called bombay.)

And i can't even imagine how you can even bear the idea of partition. You are ready to divide your country but not speak its national language. Some indian you are. I'm sure all the freedom fighters who fought to get us freedom must be crying in heaven right now seeing people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom